Author Topic: Lesbos - Molivos  (Read 11858 times)

Offline Lut Azijn

• View Profile
    • http://
Lesbos - Molivos
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
Hello everyone ! My husband and I are taking a week's holiday without the kids at the end of May. We were going to revisit Plakias, as we loved it so much last summer, but then we decided to try another Greek island, as there are still so many to explore. Inspired by some comments on this forum, we decided to go for Molivos on Lesbos. We are leaving on Monday 26 May and are staying at Hotel Adonis. From the descriptions I've read, Molivos sounds like a very romantic place, perfect for our little escape from our busy jobs and family life! If anyone has any tips for us, they would be most welcome.

Lut

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:21:11 PM »
Quote from: Lut Azijn
Hello everyone ! My husband and I are taking a week's holiday without the kids at the end of May. We were going to revisit Plakias, as we loved it so much last summer, but then we decided to try another Greek island, as there are still so many to explore. Inspired by some comments on this forum, we decided to go for Molivos on Lesbos. We are leaving on Monday 26 May and are staying at Hotel Adonis. From the descriptions I've read, Molivos sounds like a very romantic place, perfect for our little escape from our busy jobs and family life! If anyone has any tips for us, they would be most welcome.

Lut
If you are a 'far-ender' at Plakias you will find a similar situation at Molivos.  Turn left at the sea front and walk as far as you can with the sea on your right hand side.  There are a few trees growing at the back of the beach that offer some shade.  You may also be lucky enough to see some wild life at that end - tortoises, rabbits, hedgehogs and a friend of ours claims to have seen a non venomous snake!  There are plenty of wild flowers at that end too.

Allan

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »
Tip 1:
If you go to the hot springs at Eftalou, be aware that there are two ..... the modern red-brick one which you pay to use and the older, free one, which opens when the new one is closed.

The far-end beaches at Eftalou are in the next and subsequent bays to the right as you go onto the beach.  You need to wade round the headlands to get to them (there are 5 or 6).

Tip 2:
Take an after-sunset boat trip to see the town and castle in all their glory.

I would have loved to stay in Molivos but don't think my leg could cope with all the hilly roads in the town.
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:01:39 PM »
I agree with Allan Barham's comments. A slightly easier walk to the beach, easpecially if you are coming from Petra, is to walk to the far end beach through the grounds of the Hotel Delpinia which is right on the outskirts of Molyvos on the Petra road. The beach has a wonderful view of Molyvos Castle.

Personally I prefer to stay in Petra than Molyvos but the latter does have its attractions. If you are a walker both Lance Chilton's and Mike Maunder's books are worth considering. Both are obtainable in the UK by post to allow you to plan ahead.

My impression of Lesvos is that the weather isn't so reliable early season as Crete, although the end of May wasn't too great in Crete last year I believe.

Mike

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
although the end of May wasn't too great in Crete last year I believe.

Mike

Oh dear,  and I've just started arranging accomodation for my first holiday on Crete in May! :'(
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 01:30:26 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500

Mike

Oh dear,  and I've just started arranging accomodation for my first holiday on Crete in May! :'(
The weather often is very good in May in Plakias. In 2006 it was over 30C and too hot for some. I'm just pointing out that it isn't so reliable early and late as it would be in July and August. Many (George excepted) find the temperatures pleasanter in May. The pros and cons of early/late season compared to high season have been listed many times on this forum. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Mike

Offline keef

• View Profile
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »

Mike

The weather often is very good in May in Plakias. In 2006 it was over 30C and too hot for some. I'm just pointing out that it isn't so reliable early and late as it would be in July and August. Many (George excepted) find the temperatures pleasanter in May. The pros and cons of early/late season compared to high season have been listed many times on this forum. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Mike
Hi I do think early season in Lesvos weather is more iffy than Crete. Anyone been to Sigri there?

Keef

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:48:19 AM »
I went to Molyvos for a week in May 1998. It rained. The sun was out for about two hours in total.

It seemed like a nice place though, so good luck...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »
Quote from: cornucopia
I went to Molyvos for a week in May 1998. It rained. The sun was out for about two hours in total.

It seemed like a nice place though, so good luck...
I was in the area May 1997 and had two weeks without a cloud. As I said, it can be good but isn't as reliable as mid season. Yes, Molyvos is nice; I prefer neighbouring Petra, but each to his own! The "far end" beach is in Molyvos and is best part of an hour's walk from Petra.

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »

Mike

last year when we were there ( last 2 weeks IIRC) was a little mixed but good overall, but the year before we had wall to wall sunshine with temps in the high 30's
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:16:27 PM by harribobs »

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »
Let's hope we have a repeat of 2006 then!
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:24:42 PM »
I agree with Allan Barham's comments. A slightly easier walk to the beach, easpecially if you are coming from Petra, is to walk to the far end beach through the grounds of the Hotel Delpinia which is right on the outskirts of Molyvos on the Petra road. The beach has a wonderful view of Molyvos Castle.

Personally I prefer to stay in Petra than Molyvos but the latter does have its attractions. If you are a walker both Lance Chilton's and Mike Maunder's books are worth considering. Both are obtainable in the UK by post to allow you to plan ahead.

My impression of Lesvos is that the weather isn't so reliable early season as Crete, although the end of May wasn't too great in Crete last year I believe.

Mike

Thanks for the tip re Petra.  We have booked to stay for 2 weeks June/July.  Not been before, so hope it will be really warm then.
Yvonne

Offline Lut Azijn

• View Profile
Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »
I just wanted to check back in. Have not been on the forum for a while. (Busy busy, you know how it goes.) Anyway, my husband and I enjoyed our week's holiday in Molivos on Lesbos very much indeed. It was everything we thought it would be and more. The weather was fantastic, sunny all the time and just the right temperature. A little chilly in the evening, but this meant you got a good night sleep. The restaurants were excellent and the Adonis Hotel charming. We did some sightseeing around the island as well and were on the whole very impressed by it. Molivos is a little pricier than Plakias but still quite reasonable and good value for money.

Offline nora

• View Profile
Re: Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
We loved Anaxos too - the walk over the cliffs to Ambelia beach really made it for us - we did it nearly every day and vowed to return to Anaxos to do it again. We went in May and the wild flowers were beautiful and the wildlife, butterflies, dragonflies,lizards,tortoises,even turkeys,were a plenty. The rustic taverna with the mural of a mermaid was simply gorgeous, greek salads from their garden and great coffee. I don't sunbathe nude but his is a great secluded beach to do it from - if that's your thing. Loved watching the locals on donkeys and the old man who every afternoon at 4pm would wade fully clothed in the sea for his daily wash - soap in hand. A fabulous place - thanks Lampyland for bring back great memories of it on a cold winters morning in Liverpool. I will return one day - but am looking forward to my first visit to Plakias in Sept before then. Nora x

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Re: Lesbos - Molivos
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »
Hi Nora. Here is a very small selection of Photographs of Anaxos, Ambeli Taverna and Molivos not many beaches feature. Spot George's Taverna Ambelia and the friendly Terrapins in the creek. Strangely Barney appears to have signed the mural on the wall. Sorry for the first photograph, Costas borrowed the camera. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9d87910c03e50059&sc=photos&id=9D87910C03E50059!224
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:38:20 AM by Lampyland »