login

Author Topic: Jet 2 from Newcastle  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
Jet 2 from Newcastle
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:02:45 AM »
A bit late for us as we are already booked for May and September but have just seen some new flights to Crete from Newcastle with Jet 2 which look quite good.
They might be worth a look for anyone not yet booked for Plakias.

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Jet 2 from Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:10 AM »
Quote from: Daniel
A bit late for us as we are already booked for May and September but have just seen some new flights to Crete from Newcastle with Jet 2 which look quite good.

Thanks Daniel I have just booked with them from Manchester, I was considering a package hol as the price of air fare had gone up so much, but they were very reasonable.......Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Jet 2 from Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »
Quote from: Daniel

I booked these flights a long while back for our 2011 hol. They are also now available for Summer 2012. As far as I know these Newcastle flights  are the only jet2 flights to Heraklion which operate in October - from other UK airports jet2 flights terminate at the end of September. I found them somewhat more expensive than the Easyjet flights from Manchester but Newcastle is very much more convenient for us.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:50:27 AM by John R »

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Jet 2 from Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »
As you know, John, we've used Jet2 for various destinations over the last decade or so as, living just a 20 minute drive from Leeds Bradford Airport, they are so convenient for us compared to the likes of Manchester or Newcastle. However, Jet2 are definitely no longer the low cost airline that they used to be and Leeds Bradford, the airline's home base, seems to suffer more than their other UK departure points.

With our Heraklion flights for this September booked as early as last September, I've checked out September '12 flights, but, even at this early stage, the pricing is not attractive. The online price quoted today for the same two weeks in 2012 represents a 13.5% increase on this September. Similar bookings from Manchester are a bit cheaper and Newcastle a bit cheaper again. It's no surprise either that the flights we might be interested in aren't available for using some of our accrued Jet2 reward points.

Easyjet from Manchester for September next year will probably be a cheaper option although bookings for then are not currently available. Interestingly I see that Jet2's last Heraklion-Newcastle flight next year is as late as November 6th, with flights throughout October.

I intend to hold fire re next year for a while, but suspect we will end up deciding to pay a premium for the convenience of flying from just down the road at LBA. Going on a package may well be a cheaper option, but as visitors to Plakias most years since the early 1990s and staying virtually every time at Stellas we feel loyalty towards Markos and family and love the warm greeting we receive every year as well as preferring the freedom a self booked self drive trip gives us. BTW, as non-far enders, we had visited Plakias at least a couple of times before we even knew there was a far end!

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jet 2 from Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »
Quote from: G&S
I intend to hold fire re next year for a while, but suspect we will end up deciding to pay a premium for the convenience of flying from just down the road at LBA.

Like you I'm trying to hold fire for 2012. I'm always nervous of waiting once bookings are available.

For this year's flights - AFTER I had made my booking - I did a comparison for exactly the same dates on the free iphone App "skyscanner", which is excellent. I discovered far too late that I could have saved a lot of money (over £100) by flying out of Newcastle on one airline and back in via Jet2.com (or vice versa, not sure which). Unfortunately skyscanner will not look at flights more than 13 months in advance so I will need to wait until September to see if this option is still there and viable for 2012. Flying out on one carrier and inwards on a different carrier may be worthy of investigation on any route as it is sometimes very noticable when making a booking that there is a significant price difference between the inward and outward flights. Juggle these to your advantage and it may sometimes be possible to make a saving.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:55:44 PM by John R »

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Jet 2 from Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »
The mixed carrier strategy sounds like an excellent idea if you can get it to work in your favour and from and to the same UK airport of course. Good luck with your Newcastle endeavours in due course.

I'm a little disappointed in Jet2 re September '12 in that if you're prepared to commit and pay in full 15 months in advance you would hope to perhaps get at least some sort of price advantage.

On the hire car front, despite my motorsport and road car testing work and driving a sports car at home I'm a true Yorkshireman when it comes to hiring rental cars abroad and tend to go for something cheap and cheerful albeit from the same reliable rental company we have both used for years now. However, I might have to upgrade from the relatively gutless Kia Picanto Sue and I had last September!

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jet 2 from Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »
Quote from: G&S
On the hire car front, despite my motorsport and road car testing work and driving a sports car at home I'm a true Yorkshireman when it comes to hiring rental cars abroad and tend to go for something cheap and cheerful albeit from the same reliable rental company we have both used for years now. However, I might have to upgrade from the relatively gutless Kia Picanto Sue and I had last September!

tut tut - just jealous of our brand new polo  

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Jet 2 from Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »
Very much so :-) Your new Polo was light years better than our Picanto for minimal extra cost. A lesson learned.