Plakias > Plakias

Changes over the past few years

(1/3) > >>

Andrew:
My last visit to Plakias was in June 2019, where I had a lovely trip that went pretty well.
In simple terms what has changed since then and over the last four years. I understand that there has been some development of properties that are set back from the main coast road through the village (Somewhere near/behind Antoni's Place I believe)? Are there any updated photos that can be seen on this site?
Anything else that might have changed? There was talk of a ring road making the area pedestrianized so does that limit access by car to some places?
Any further information would be most welcome.
Thank you all.

JBMouse:
Check Youtube for various videos, the latest is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OnFdRWbUEM
This shows the major changes to the seafront road up to the bridge. This is a major change, don't know yet where the taxi rank is, nor how or where the buses will stop and turn. I bet The Livikon is not too pleased with all the work going on in front of them!
Haven't been to Plakias since October 2019, would love to go back and see all the friends there, but other things are conspiring against me that will probably halt my Greek travels, I will have to rely upon Youtube videos from now on.

DandC:
I see the alley with several tavernas (eg Thoubi, Elia) is pedestrianized in the evening now! Nice move!
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g319776-d12326244-Reviews-Throubi-Plakias_Agios_Vasileios_Municipality_Rethymnon_Prefecture_Crete.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=414232971

Richard:
The whole front is being pedestrianised in the evening apparently - the sea front pavement is being widened in preparation.

The new (ish) pavement has had short lengths of plastic pipe sticking up out of it, all the way to Souda. I'd assumed that these were conduits for lights and this is also planned, though given they've been there a couple of years at least, who knows! I'm an amateur astronomer, and one of the appeals of south Crete is (was) the pristine, dark skies. I could still see the Milky Way from the Souda road, above the harbour, last week but less clearly than in previous years.

Plakias was always a resort, since my first visit in the early 90s, but still felt different to other Greek/Cretan resorts, in that some Cretan character had been retained. In about 2020, I noticed that most tavernas stopped using Greek greetings and farewells, instead using English. This seemed quite clear-cut, to me at least, as if a decision had been made to do so. Perhaps with the arrival of the new hotel by Paligremnos?

I don't feel like I'm 'getting away from it all' by going there, as I did 25 years ago. This has its uses, since I'm semi-retired now, can stay longer  and do some work there if needed.

In general, I feel that the recent changes seem to cater for a different kind of visitor than in the past, one who is going less to see Crete and more looking for a generic sunny resort. I know that change is inevitable, but I miss the 'old Plakias'.

Barny:
Agreed,
I've been going since 1989 and have watched the changes and yes........

Barny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version