Author Topic: where to eat...or not!  (Read 23904 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 08:14:39 AM »
Sorry to Mike G and John R, no offence was meant.

My remarks were just meant as an advice to some.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Definitely no offence taken - just setting the record straight.

John R

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »
Yes we did notice the Fish and Chip shop in Plakias and thought how sad that someone might even think we were even slightly interested in frequenting it   

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Strange as it may seem - that Plakias fish and chip shop is perhaps the one fish and chip shop in Crete that really is well worth a visit.

John R

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 01:50:28 PM »

I didn't take offence LoukaFran. The British fish and chip brigade is a reality but we, thankfully, saw none of it in Plakias. They were probably in Malia, Kavos, Faliraki, or Laganas. Probably followed by a deep fried Mars bar, not that I have ever encountered one.

Each to his own though.

Mike

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 02:57:21 PM »
Oh, great! Fish and chips in Plakias?!
Where is the shop? Unfortunately we haven't made it to the British Islands yet and we would be very happy to taste this unique and legendary meal from an authentic restaurant. Next time in Plakias we will surely give them a try!

shinaria

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 03:03:34 PM »

I didn't take offence LoukaFran. The British fish and chip brigade is a reality but we, thankfully, saw none of it in Plakias. They were probably in Malia, Kavos, Faliraki, or Laganas. Probably followed by a deep fried Mars bar, not that I have ever encountered one.

Each to his own though.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Deep fried Mars bar is really a Scottish speciality - I've seen them on sale in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Here in Brighton you can get deep-fried pizza, except we call it "pizza frittata"...

sorry, this is getting a bit off-topic

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 03:14:07 PM »
Where is the shop? Unfortunately we haven't made it to the British Islands yet and we would be very happy to taste this unique and legendary meal from an authentic restaurant. Next time in Plakias we will surely give them a try!

shinaria
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't call it an authentic British F+C shop - if it was I might not want it to be in Plakias. However the food (including F+C) is inexpensive (maybe not the best in Plakias) and many interesting characters seem to frequent the place. Occasionally low key live music is to be heard in there. It is small and pokey and doesn't look particularly attractive.

It is on the same street as the Pharmacy - the street off the main street near the Lamon hotel and which leads to Medousa Taverna. You can't really miss it if you are seeking it.

John R

Offline LoukaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 03:14:09 PM »
I never realised that my well meant comments would give so many reactions !
To set the record strait, : I am a half Brit (being of British decent).
A deep fried Mars bar....??!!!!          
Why hasn't anyone thought of that before ?
I almost have a vision of a new Teletubby !

Stick of Rock

where to eat...or not!
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 06:13:16 PM »

shinaria

Just by the Pharmacy
All the food is good

But last time we went in they had run out of fish

It's cheap and cheerful but be careful not to walk into the mirror as we have seen the odd person do. It's only there to create an illusion of space

Its frozen fish just like in UK and the wine comes out of a box in the cool cabinet

They make a good homemade tasting flat bread too

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 08:47:56 PM »

shinaria

I had fish and chips tonight.. yumm  
We have been to the chippy in Plakias a few years ago, can't remember what I had but it wasn't fish and chips!

Just had a long weekend in Bruges for our anniversary where we thoroughly enjoyed the local cuisine.. Marge had Mussels for every single meal because she loves them so much. For me the Belgian beer was the highlight though  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 08:34:38 AM »
Yes we did notice the Fish and Chip shop in Plakias and thought how sad that someone might even think we were even slightly interested in frequenting it   

Strange as it may seem - that Plakias fish and chip shop is perhaps the one fish and chip shop in Crete that really is well worth a visit.

John R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3736\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've walked passd this chippy on numerous occations, and thought 'no way I'm going in there' but on your recommendation John I might, just might, give it a try.
Do you, or anyone, have any recommendations for the best English breakfast in town? I don't usually bother, but have been told I should start!
george g...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 08:35:39 AM by George »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 10:18:08 AM »
I've walked passd this chippy on numerous occations, and thought 'no way I'm going in there' but on your recommendation John I might, just might, give it a try.
Do you, or anyone, have any recommendations for the best English breakfast in town? I don't usually bother, but have been told I should start!
george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3747\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not really suggesting you ought to like that F+C shop but it does have quite a lot of devotees - not actually us as we stick to Medousa but we do have many friends who have enjoyed an occasional visit there. It does (did ?) have a reputation of being the cheapest in town. Like many Greek Tavernas one should not always judge by appearance - we nearly always do make that judgement mistake and in later years, through necessity (hunger or thirst) have occasionally visited a previously snubbed dubious looking Taverna in a way out village only to find excellence in all respects - and more importantly an authentic experience as well.

Re English breakfasts. Wow - back to Malia for a big choice of those - Kellogs Korn Flakes, Bakked Beens etc etc. all very prominently advertised. I don't really know for Plakias but Medousa and Livicon certainly serve breakfasts - but whether ever truly English I am not sure. We get our truly Stella breakfast included at Stella Pension where we always stay. Never varies - but I won't comment much further than that  

John R

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 12:14:31 PM »
We get our truly Stella breakfast included at Stella Pension where we always stay. Never varies - but I won't comment much further than that   

John R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
We liked the Stella breakfasts - adequate, simple and predictable - it saves having to make decisions about what to eat too early in the morning  

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2005, 03:42:06 PM »
We get our truly Stella breakfast included at Stella Pension where we always stay. Never varies - but I won't comment much further than that   

John R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
We liked the Stella breakfasts - adequate, simple and predictable - it saves having to make decisions about what to eat too early in the morning  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes - we liked them too for exactly the reasons you state. Tended to generate quite a few egg jokes which keeps us happy in the Bar at night  

John R

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2005, 05:25:15 PM »

John R

george g...

Breakfast upstairs at the Forum aren't bad.  We usually indulge on our day of departure.
Yvonne

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
where to eat...or not!
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »

John R

george g...

on the subject of breakfast - I used to like the "Cretan omelette" with feta cheese and tomato, I think it was at the Livicon.  Which was also my favourite spot for a sundowner.