login

Author Topic: Still fantastic  (Read 6148 times)

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jim-murray.co.uk
    • Email
Still fantastic
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:42 AM »
Came back for the 4th time this year - still tee shirt weather - 4 or 5 people at the  far end , a dozen at Amoudaki - water still in the 20s so swimming a couple of times every day - everything very laid back - olives about to be picked - things could be worse.

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Still fantastic
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »
Minus 2 this morning and scraping ice off car windscreen at 06:05am.....no heating on train....Monday morning joy .....so to hear Plakias is still fab is a tonic on the day like this in Scotland!  Am very envious and just waiting on EasyJet opening up flights for September 2018.   Booked in with Kostas Chrysoula as usual and looking forward to that already !

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
Might have spoken too soon - webcam looking v overcast and lots of waves.....but still warmer than here !

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
Y - very wavy - but warm waves . Sometimes calm , sometimes wavy makes swims different. And a bit of wind means you can drip dry.

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »
Good to hear the weather is still fine.  Are any of the restaurants and/or bars open at this time of the year?
Enjoy your stay.

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
Sorry - no idea about the bars , never go . Also rarely eat out except if we have visitors during our stay but got some takeaway dolmadakia at otherwise empty Mousses ( I think it was) last week - the rest in that cluster seemed closed - get Feta Pitta odd times from the Xekoristo , it stays open all year except for their annual hols. Travelled 45 mins to our favourite in Argyroupoli , the Archaia Lappa - closed. Went for another favourite takeaway to the one in Kanevos - closed. Unusually called in to the middle one in Damnoni , the Mesogeios (Middle Earth) and had a v nice meal  - closed the day after (pattern emerges - trying to tell us something) . However wife's homemade gigantes and feta baked in tom sauce as good as any you'll find. The sea and Timios Stavros (new section of 'paved' track 1/2 way up) still open for business though - to work off the gigantes and baked feta , and dakos etc etc.

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
The winter is great here! Sifis Always open, Thoubie closed for dec but re-open 2nd Jan, souvlaki restaurant mostly open. Taverner Marou alway open quiet streets, quiet beaches, weather rainy some days but mostly sunny  in the 15-20deg mark.
Always the sea and the mountains are different every day,  great place to live !

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
How fab to hear from someone living there ...maybe you would give us regular updates to give us poor frozen souls in the UK (well, certainly us in Scotland) something to look forward to during the long, dark months that lie ahead of us...a Plakias fix every now and again from you would be marvelous...no pressure !!!

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 02:17:47 PM »
Hi Fiona !.....I'd second that........keeps me going too ! Frank and Julie's posts would be very welcome !

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »
Taverner Marou alway open

Where is this taverna; I've never heard of it.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:33:05 PM »
I presume is the taverna in Mariou

Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
I presume is the taverna in Mariou

Yes sorry my spelling mistake, yesterday was a sunny day got to 25/26 deg but rained a lot today and even had some hailstones, good day to go to the bank and sort out paperwork like car tax and insurance things that I normally put of until the last minute, been living here just over a year renting in Lefkogeia at the moment and building a house overlooking the new harbour, we have a white Labrador called Charlie who loves it here even more than us, hard to keep him out the sea he can often be seen swimming by Ostricos.
If anything happens of note I will post it up.

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
Thank you Charlie's mum and dad, we all would be delighted for any snippets and updates when you can !  How old is Charlie, did you bring him with you or is he Greek?  Sorry, probably being too nosey but lovely that he enjoys a swim - sounds a perfect pooch !

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 03:33:50 PM »
Lovely, if a little upsetting, to hear of the good times to be had in Plakias out of season. Wish we were there all of the time like you.
We were there in October, and saw the labrador on many many occasions, running into and out of the sea by the tavernas on the front, always wondered whose dog it was, now we know. Hope to be back next year, but will need to dig deeper into the old pockets as Easyjet and Olympic prices keep going up, and, good as it is, we do not want to eat at the souvlaki hut every day(I know, it is now a 'proper' place)
Have a Happy Christmas and do keep us all informed of all the local news.

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 08:44:16 PM »
Thank you Charlie's mum and dad, we all would be delighted for any snippets and updates when you can !  How old is Charlie, did you bring him with you or is he Greek?  Sorry, probably being too nosey but lovely that he enjoys a swim - sounds a perfect pooch !

Charlie is 11 so 77 in dog years but still bounds around like a puppy, yes we brought him with us by road as he would have hated flying and big noise and he runs and hides, it can be a bit embarrasing around easter here as people are always randomly setting off fireworks and we have to go and rescue him from under the nearest table he can find, often to the bewilderment of the people having  lunch or dinner at that table.
He has made a lot of friends around here, we pass people in the road and they say "hello Charlie" and we haven't a clue who they are ! People remember him not us , but its all good and he is pretty well behaved and we take him with us most times we go out.