login

Author Topic: Favourite Eateries - 2009  (Read 10470 times)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Favourite Eateries - 2009
« on: September 28, 2009, 10:02:18 PM »
All restaurants will have their off nights and most people will have their favourites but here's a snapshot of our experiences.
Best service: Siroko, and Manousses
Best food, overall: Harakas, and Siroko
Best atmosphere: Manousses
Nicest individual meals: Mushrooms a la creme with Rice at Harakas, Plakias Plate at Mouses, and Spicy Pork at Medousa.
Best value: Any of the set menus
Most disappointing, overall: Mouses and Medousa (I was lucky, Karen wasn't)
Best raki: Harakas (sadly we weren't offered any the second time we went there  )
Also tried and ok: Gorgona, Kri Kri.

I'm glad to say, in the main, we had excellent meals and service.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »
We would tend to agree with your thoughts.

Just back from 2 weeks in Plakias and we ate mainly at:

Sirocco

Harakas

Lysseos

Best food was at Lysseos but overall we would choose Sirocco out of the 3 because of the general "feel" of the place and the service and the good local food.

Watching the football with Siffi with one of his gyros plate was also a very good evening out.

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
Had a number of meals in Mouses, cheap but good service and a good range of dishes.

First night was spent in one by the 'small' square, but I can't remember the name of it. Pork 'something or other' was a good introduction to the delights of Greek cuisine.

Had an unfortunate experience at Alianthios buffet and would not recommend it, although another couple enjoyed it so we may have just caught it on an off night.

Offline mandie cook

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
Was the small souvlaki bar open (in the square by the harbour)? I know that Irini said that she probably wasn't going to run it this season!

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:12:32 PM »
I don't believe so. There was one round there that was all shut up. Not sure if it was the one to which you refer.

Offline mandie cook

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
That's a shame; my daughter loves her souflaki and it was very cheap! I'll be back there a week tomorrow.....

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
All restaurants will have their off nights and most people will have their favourites but here's a snapshot of our experiences.
Nicest individual meals: Mushrooms a la creme with Rice at Harakas, Plakias Plate at Mouses, and Spicy Pork at Medousa.
Best raki: Harakas (sadly we weren't offered any the second time we went there  )

Is this list up to date? Some of the places we ate in 2009 were not that good. We are in Plakia early July so if any one can update it afore then, then thanks!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
Quote from: spottttttt

Is this list up to date? Some of the places we ate in 2009 were not that good. We are in Plakia early July so if any one can update it afore then, then thanks!
Graham and Karen are right about the off nights and everyone having their favourites. Opinions seem quite polarised on some places, Manousses being a good example; some rave over it; others think it is poor. I still like Mousses and think their set meals are fantastic value but not all agree. One of the most consistent IMHO is Medousa although even it gets negative comments (see G&K above).

One thing I think most would agree on is that the standard in Plakias is well above average for Greece and that the bill is nearly always for what you have ordered only.

I wish I could advise that the article sytem was a mine of useful information on eating places but it is pretty sparse for a forum of this size.

Mike

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »

We prefer the Harakas Taverna. At every time we had the best food and service.
We never had any problems or reclamations.
Enjoy it!
Kerstin and Peter

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »
Agree with you Kerstin - we've always had a good meal. Thinking about it, most places have their strngths and weaknesses. The food must be most mportant, I guess. Our list below was based on 2009 experiences. Although we didn't eat there this year, Kasto has a great view over the town, so worth a visit.

Manousses - good atmosphere, relaxing
Quote from: Kerstin

We prefer the Harakas Taverna. At every time we had the best food and service.
We never had any problems or reclamations.
Enjoy it!
Kerstin and Peter

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »
Hello,

Taken to Plakias by mistake in 1994, what a stroke of luck! Have been there many times since; 1995 and then every year since 2002, hope to be there in a couple of weeks' time.

Can't really remember a very disappointing meal in Plakias. My favourites (an almost comprehensive list of Plakian tavernas!);

Siroko: fish, fish, and more fish but very good daily specials/meats

Lysseos: v. popular, arrive early!

Harakas: great outdoor 'barbecue'

Christos: lovely spot beneath the trees, on but above the beach; excellent for lunch

Sofia: all good stuff but great meat casseroles. Try your Greek here. Even my pathetic efforts met with some approval!

XXXX: can't remember name, but hidden behind Alianthos Beach Hotel and worth mentioning; facing away from beach by mini-roundabout, hotel on left, walk past hotel, follow road round to left, taverna on right. Really nice people, lovely food/surroundings. Again, try your Greek here.

Mousses; used to enjoy lunch here, was very good, haven't been in recent years, no particular reason, worth a try.

Kri Kri; very good for quick bites at lunch-time.

A couple whose names I can't remember but definitely worth a mention:

The fish taverna adjoined to Christos, to thw western side, Souda Bay direction

The fish taverna to the south of Sirocco (next-door but one?), towards the harbour

The bakery close to Ostraco Bar et al. sells very good pastries et.c.

All are friendly, and genuinely so in my opinion. This lot can easily keep us happy for a fortnight's hols, we usually go somewhere different each year also but I never really tire of Plakias.

All the best, Richard
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:52:42 PM by Richard »

Offline wakefossil

• ICQ Messenger - 346648572
    • MSN Messenger - wakefossil@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wakefossil
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »
Quote from: Richard
XXXX: can't remember name, but hidden behind Alianthos Beach Hotel and worth mentioning; facing away from beach by mini-roundabout, hotel on left, walk past hotel, follow road round to left, taverna on right. Really nice people, lovely food/surroundings. Again, try your Greek here.
I reckon that's Manoussos (next to Medousa)

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
We went here one night, great views over Plakias, the waiter was pretty good two!! [attachment=764:DSC00021.JPG]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:06:00 PM by spottttttt »

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »
We went here one night, great views over Plakias, the waiter was pretty good two!! [attachment=764:DSC00021.JPG]

After a gap of several years we returned to Plakias last September.  A bonus was the Creta Spirit recently opened on the road to Souda . It occupies  a fantastic position above the small coves of Souda Bay. With breath taking views it’s a great place to enjoy a snack, a mythos & read a good book. The rooms are  comfortable & well appointed.  For peace & quiet it probably can’t be beaten.
http://www.creta-spirit.gr/en/plakias-accommodation