Author Topic: Lysseos  (Read 37255 times)

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lysseos
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 01:27:16 PM »
To keep everyone happy, let me try the taverna again next week, and I will report how we get on!

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 04:07:23 PM »
I will try it a few times in August.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
Again I don't get the comment.  Never once heard a ping in all the years I have frequented the restaurant.  It is such a tightly run ship with Lito at the helm that there is no need to attract the waiting staff's attention - they spend most of the time in and out of the kitchen anyway with Lito front of house.  And if a dish is ready to go out and staff busy elsewhere Lucas the chef will bring it out personally.  They take great pride in what they serve.

Anyway I've had my say and would suggest people give it a go and judge for themselves.
The night we ate in Lysseos (see photos). We could hear a bell, when we went inside there was a small bell on the counter, we assume this is what we heard.
Happy that other people like Lysseos, I love Cypriot food after being stationed in Akrotiri and Dhekelia. My Sister has lived in Cyprus since 1974 too.
We really have tried to like the food and Lito is indeed entertaining and friendly.
There are two places in Plakias we have ever left hungry because of portion size. My other half is slim and petite and not a huge eater and whilst I am not fat I am a big bloke.
Both of us left hungry again, wanted to give it another go in case the first time was an off night.
Wish Lysseos every success and I am sure looking at how many tables Lito fills she will not miss our custom.
Everyone should make up their own minds and eat where they enjoy the food. Love everything else about the Lysseos.
Most importantly everyone have a happy time in Plakias.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »
I have also 'tried' to make Lysseos a favourite, having had it highly recommended by regulars that pre-date my firt visit to Plakis in the mid-90s, but I can't rave about it. The food is good, but always leaves me thinking that there was something that wasn't quite right.

Kleftiko is an old favourite of mine and while it was good, the local Greek resstaurant in the village that I used to live in in the UK made a better one. I like quite highly spiced food and perhaps this is where thing go wrong, for me at least. Not stupidly hot curries, but loads of flavour. But, given Kleftiko's origins perhaps this is how it really should taste.

I suspect that this is merely a case of my liking for Plakias leading to too-high expectations, but all the same... I could certainly recommend Lysseos, all the same, and given the lack of seating after 19:00, I doubt that I would need to.

Richard

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 02:19:19 AM »
Lysseos will certainly be near the top of our list in September. We usually go 3 or 4 times in a fortnight.
John - Ostraco

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »
Pleased to report Lysseos as good as ever having spent many nights there recently.  A few new dishes I was unfamiliar with but the old favourites still there.

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »
Still one of the best places to eat!

Offline mandmshow

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2016, 06:28:06 AM »
We ate here twice in July. The veal T-bone Steak was fantastic.
Always love the food there and its great for people watching.
Don't forget you pay at the counter inside !

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2020, 09:03:55 PM »
Well, I finally tried the chicken curry tonight, 25 years after it was first recommended to me.

As others have mentioned I'm not sure it truly qualifies as a curry, maybe half curry-half tagine, but it was very good. I'll certainly have it again. Otherwise, the atmosphere was as pleasant as ever and it was good to eat there again, after a couple of years. It struck me that Lysseos is was one of very few tavernas that haven't really changed over the years.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »
George?
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline ian s

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2020, 07:36:41 PM »
Ah Lysseos, without question my favourite eating place in the whole world!  Missed you so much this year.

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2021, 10:29:03 AM »
Lysseos was good as ever in the last decades, but it wasn't really well frequented. Maybe you all should give it a try if not done yet.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2021, 09:11:45 AM »
i had mixed feelings initially, some years ago, largely I think because my expectations were too high because of such good reviews. The last two years, though, I?ve gone back, and really like it. Genuinely and unfussily friendly, good food, and, for me, a bit nostalgic, hasn?t changed much (if at all!) since I started visiting Plakias yearly about 20 years ago. I?d give it a try.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2022, 06:34:57 PM »
In Plakias at the moment and enjoying our evenings in Lysseos as usual.  However just to advise that Lysseos will be closing at the end of the season as Lucas and Lito are retiring.  Wishing them all the best but we sure will miss them.  Many great memories to look back on.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2022, 10:38:01 AM »
I ate there a few times over the last two weeks. Shame to see it go. Wonder what it will be next. I liked Harakas when it was there too. I went to Antonis in the evenings, well worth it, go if you've never been.
Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?