login

Author Topic: Advice  (Read 13301 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »
Quote from: George
We've all complained to Olympic about the transfers, one reason I'm now independent.

Has anyone ever had any satifactory outcome from a complaint about the transfer, I didn't??

george g...
... and you won't George if what you call satisfactory is a direct transfer. Lumping the Plakias guests with the Bali and Rethymnon ones ensures they can make a profit at the prices they charge. If you get a direct transfer then this is likely to be luck. Where they could improve at no extra cost is to add a 5 min "comfort" break at one of the Rethymnon hotels. Many, but not all, people would rather put up with a 3 hour transfer in a comfortable coach than pay £160 (i.e. twice €100) and be driven by a taxi driver whose driving could be iffy to say the least!

In answer to another posting I don't believe the flight would go before a coachload had arrived. Delays at the airport apply to all, not just Olympic clients.

Olympic have used the same flights for a number of years (e.g. about 9.00am out of Gatwick on a Tuesday). On reading the forum I get the impression that booking the BA low cost carrier and others can result in changes, especially from regional airports, not least when the airline sells out to another airline who may or may not be committed to the route.

Mike

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 04:29:34 PM »
The problem with the return transfer was the timing of the departure from Plakias I think. We left Plakias at 11.10 in the morning, whereas previous years the departure was 10.00 or thereabouts, so we arrived at the airport last of all the coaches, with no time to spare, especially as some of the people ion the coach were for the EARLIER Birmingham flight, I have no idea how they got on with the short tome to flight time, considering our rush through. All of this not helped
by there being no rep whatsoever on the coach at any point during the transfer.
I too doubt getting any results from the complaint, but I will try!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »
We've had this subject on several occasions over the years, and the situation doesn't seem to change any from when I complained about 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, now Olympic have a captive audience, if you don't like it, tough! Or do the other thing!!

george g...

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
Advice
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
We've had this subject on several occasions over the years, and the situation doesn't seem to change any from when I complained about 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, now Olympic have a captive audience, if you don't like it, tough! Or do the other thing!!

george g...

Then we will just have to do the other thing, George and go independently.

There is no way that I will again be put thru the cattle drive, organised (???) by Olympic Holidays at Heraklion Airport.
In my view,and in this day and age, no paying customer should be treated in this way by any Holiday company, whatever their holiday prices.

That, and close to 3.5 hours of transfer time last September from Plakias, was enough to almost have us crossing the resort of our "prefered" holiday list. (others include Samos, Thas  sos,Parga and Skiathos)

They may think that they have a "captive audience" to Plakias but they won't catch us again.

We have explored buying a flight (from XL), car hire and accommodation and we booked at the start of this year to return to Plakias at the end of September for 2 weeks.

I will report if all goes according to plan.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 07:36:39 PM »
Quote from: Daniel
There is no way that I will again be put thru the cattle drive, organised (???) by Olympic Holidays at Heraklion Airport.

They may think that they have a "captive audience" to Plakias but they won't catch us again.

We have explored buying a flight (from XL), car hire and accommodation and we booked at the start of this year to return to Plakias at the end of September for 2 weeks.

I'm afraid that cattle market at Heraklion airport was the same for us last year (September) and we went independent. Thankfully we got there very early - probably 3 hours before takeoff. I advise everybody to get to that airport early, work out the queuing system (there is some logic we discovered) and just follow the sheep. The big problem is the hold luggage X ray system which applies to EVERY body from every flight to every country - all funnelling through that one bottleneck. It does actually work but heaven help you if you are late.

I am sure you will enjoy your independent set up as described - same time, same airline and same arrangements as us.

John R

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »

of course one of the other plus points on going independent are that you can choose your airport, ie Chania! which, when compared to Heraklion, was an absolute joy  

i don't believe there is a great deal of difference in the distances between them and plakias

another is that your chosen host gets the full benefit of your hand earned pound notes and you get a superior quality room

on another point, John i really do not see why if you are travelling independantly you should be joining queues of package holiday people, i am not being snobby here, but you wouldn't do it anywhere else!

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 11:10:39 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
on another point, John i really do not see why if you are travelling independantly you should be joining queues of package holiday people, i am not being snobby here, but you wouldn't do it anywhere else!

I assume from the above you mean that this sort of queuing doesn't exist at Chania - and not that I should queue jump when at Heraklion !!! It was riotous enough without trying that.

We were going to Chania last year but our flights were cancelled and basically that means there aint any flights from Newcastle to Chania now. The (now defunct) BA flights from Manchester which we used could not be bettered in price and queues or not we took that flight to Heraklion.

We didn't find the queues at Heraklion all that bad when we discovered how they worked. The problem was that some people didn't join the right queue for the right purpose. I saw people joining the X ray queue before they had checked in (thinking it was the check in queue) and vice versa. People who did that sort of stayed in a queue all night - or so it seemed. We sussed out their system and though a bit tedious it all worked ok. We knew we had time and it all worked out ok.

I can't now remember exactly why we didn't book our (FREE via Tesco clubcard) XL flights from Manchester to Chania for this year but I think it is because we can't do our 18 day package (go out Fri and return Tue). I think they only fly Tuesdays (??) which meant only a 2 or a 3 week duration. Struggle to get G. on a 3 week break - taken a long time to persuade her 18 days.

Though I warned people about Heraklion it didn't really bother us but I know you were sickened by it last year

John R

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 08:14:46 AM »
Quote from: Daniel

That's just what I do Daniel. You don't say where you are, but I got an XL flight at 07.00am from Gatwick to Chania ( as everyone says, much prefered), had a car waiting for me at the airport, and the drive took me just over one and a half hours.
I was sitting on the balcony at Flisvos around 3.00pm with a glass of red, having done the shopping and unpacked.
Unless one has a 'Beam me up Scotty' facility, you can't get better than that!!

Go for it Daniel!!  All the info you need is on this forum!

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
Quote from: John R
I assume from the above you mean that this sort of queuing doesn't exist at Chania - and not that I should queue jump when at Heraklion !!! It was riotous enough without trying that.
John R

i really mean at either

i saw last year the reps lining people up to stand in the sun, then going inside themselves for a comfy seat and do their make-up

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
Quote from: John R
John R

i really mean at either

i saw last year the reps lining people up to stand in the sun, then going inside themselves for a comfy seat and do their make-up
I don't believe that for one minute!!!    

And they're usually so considerate, bring back Morven I say!!  

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
The deficiencies at Heraklion airport can't be blamed on Olympic, it is down to the airport operators. I have used Hania once and didn't find it much different, although that may not be the experience of others. All you can ask Olympic to do is get you there on time and explain the system. At least there were reps there in May to guide you to the right check in desk. Queues at luggage X-ray seem common at Greek airports, unlike UK ones where it is done after you have handed over your luggage.

I don't understand Chris' (Harribobs) comment about check in segregation. On my Monarch flight in May there were people on the flight from several tour operators as well as many independents. Everyone had the same check in (at Gatwick and Heraklion) and (mediocre) level of comfort on the plane. How else would it be?

Mike

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »
And I have now thought of another reason to go independant, using Gatwick/Chania, (ignore the extra cost, Plakias is worth it), you would not be lumped in with all those other people, the Not Saga Louts, going to Malia, Stalis and Hersonnisos. This years return from Heraklion was made memorable (?) by a large group of our American cousins returning from a week of whatever.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
I don't understand Chris' (Harribobs) comment about check in segregation. On my Monarch flight in May there were people on the flight from several tour operators as well as many independents. Everyone had the same check in (at Gatwick and Heraklion) and (mediocre) level of comfort on the plane. How else would it be?

Mike

for the last couple of years, the tour reps were making people queue outside the airport building, what i am saying is that as i am traveling independently, i will go to the check in desk when it opens not when an Olympic rep decides i can

obviously we will be sharing the same departure lounge and aircraft afterwards

i agree that the chaos at heraklion can't be blamed on Olympic (or the other tour operators) but it would help if they actually did something about it

last year the queues were horrendous, people were joining the wrong queues, turning up to the scanner to be turned away as they hadn't checked in, absolute madness

while all this was going on there were two 'pretty girls' in olympic uniforms sat down, chatting, re-applying their make up and playing with their mobiles   when i inquired what their job was supposed to be at the airport they actually got of their arses. i took their names at the time and seriously considered complaining

the only time i have had a problem at Chania was a couple of years ago when a power failure buggered up the whole airport, this year we spent ten minutes in the check in queue, walked over to the scanner and went through immediately. you cannot get any better than that

chris

Offline Tessa

• View Profile
Advice
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 01:22:31 PM »
Quote from: JBMouse
The return transfer with Olympic was AWFUL, and I am about to make a major complaint to Olympic about the time/queues, and nearly missing the flight. Nuf said, 80€ is a bargain!
I'm really surprised to hear that JBM  

We've all complained to Olympic about the transfers, one reason I'm now independent.

Has anyone ever had any satifactory outcome from a complaint about the transfer, I didn't??

george g...

Thanks all for the tips!
I hadn't visited the forum for 2-3 weeks since first asking your advice on where to stay, travel etc however I have now booked my holiday to Plakias and i'm very excited.  My boyfriend and I are on a bit of a budget this year so despite the more accommodating hotels and the flexibility of travelling independently we have booked our holiday with Olympic.  We found a holiday for £349 for two weeks departing from our local airport so no petrol or car parking costs involved and I even have to say convenient flight times which just amazed me.  We fly 22 July.. 4 weeks tomorrow and counting!

Unfortunately we didn't have an option re hotels, the holiday advertised was Dora and despite the not so fantastic reviews (though I've read worse), we're happy enough to get a reasonable price at the place we wanted to go (plakias) and on the dates we wanted to leave.. So I can't complain and after all, the amount of time we will be spending in the hotel, it doesn't really matter too much, as long as its clean and has a balcony (really hope its not a balcony facing the concrete wall I've heard so much about) and apparently we use the Kostas-Chrysoulla Studios pool..which I don't mind about either because when we went to Corfu last year we didn't once sit around our own hotel pool, we always ventured out to others..

How far is Dora from Kostas-Chrysoulla Studios..and again how far is Dora from the Centre where all the restaurants and tavernas are?

Many thanks

Tessa

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »
Quote from: Tessa
Quote from: JBMouse
The return transfer with Olympic was AWFUL, and I am about to make a major complaint to Olympic about the time/queues, and nearly missing the flight. Nuf said, 80€ is a bargain!
I'm really surprised to hear that JBM  

george g...

Thanks all for the tips!
I hadn't visited the forum for 2-3 weeks since first asking your advice on where to stay, travel etc however I have now booked my holiday to Plakias and i'm very excited.  My boyfriend and I are on a bit of a budget this year so despite the more accommodating hotels and the flexibility of travelling independently we have booked our holiday with Olympic.  We found a holiday for £349 for two weeks departing from our local airport so no petrol or car parking costs involved and I even have to say convenient flight times which just amazed me.  We fly 22 July.. 4 weeks tomorrow and counting!

Unfortunately we didn't have an option re hotels, the holiday advertised was Dora and despite the not so fantastic reviews (though I've read worse), we're happy enough to get a reasonable price at the place we wanted to go (plakias) and on the dates we wanted to leave.. So I can't complain and after all, the amount of time we will be spending in the hotel, it doesn't really matter too much, as long as its clean and has a balcony (really hope its not a balcony facing the concrete wall I've heard so much about) and apparently we use the Kostas-Chrysoulla Studios pool..which I don't mind about either because when we went to Corfu last year we didn't once sit around our own hotel pool, we always ventured out to others..

How far is Dora from Kostas-Chrysoulla Studios..and again how far is Dora from the Centre where all the restaurants and tavernas are?

Many thanks

Tessa
They are very close together, you can basically walk across the road and hop over a wall to KC., and they are both minutes, maybe pushing 2 mins. depending on how fast you walk!!

Have a good one!!  

george g...