Author Topic: 2003 Prices  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2003 Prices
« on: January 24, 2003, 02:19:08 PM »
We are just starting to think about booking our annual visit to Plakias.  For the second year running we are taking a DIY approach to booking apartments and flights but have found that our usual studios (Anna Apartments) have increased in price by 10% this year.  OK, an increase from 30 Euro a night to 33 Euro is not really going to hurt but I wonder what other people are finding when booking their accommodation.  Is 10% increase the norm for 2003?

Regards

Allan

Offline finna

• View Profile
    • Email
2003 Prices
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 05:13:54 PM »
Hi, we are also finding the prices going up. This is our second year in Plakias but 4th year in Crete.  The price we paid for this year is 55euros for a 2 bed-roomed apartment.  I hope for that money it will be better than the basic greek apartments.  The flights are also expensive getting, we were wondering if it would be cheaper to do a package like we did 3 years ago as you would have the satisfaction of a rep, holiday insurance and travel down to plakias all included.  I think the Euro has had a lot to do with the price increase

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2003 Prices
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 11:09:47 AM »
We have booked direct for the past 4 years and 10% is the average increase every year.  Flights need not be expensive if you are flexible about the time of day you fly. We prefer to get the 6am flight with Air2000 so we arrive in Plakias about 2pm. It means we can have a late lunch, a couple of beers, stock up with essentials at the supermarket and unpack before a drink on the balcony and finally dinner. This does of course mean we pay a premium for the flight and it cost £215 each last year (when you book direct).  However, even taking that into consideration it still works out cheaper than going with one of the tour operators. It also means less hassle at the airport when you arrive because you are not kept waiting for everyone to board the coach. A taxi is far more civilised and it is nice to be met by the driver as soon as you have collected your luggage. A taxi will cost about £35 each way.
All in all with flights acccommodation and taxis, it cost about £375 each.  
Hope that helps

Susan

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
2003 Prices
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 12:33:07 AM »
I don't know what time of year you are going Susan - but we've just booked a package for early June this year. Flight, transfers and 2 weeks in a self catering room cost us £211 each with 2 sharing a room. Seemed like a good deal, as flights were nearly the same price.
I guess you get more choices if you go DIY - but it's not always cheaper!
John - Ostraco

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2003 Prices
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 09:18:13 AM »
John we normally go first couple of days in September which is still considered high season. We also go for an apartment rather than just a room. I did check the brochures when they first came out and it still worked out cheaper to to go direct.  It does sound like you got a good deal though!

Susan

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
2003 Prices
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2003, 07:39:44 PM »
Yes Susan, September is different!
We're going on August 26th again this year - and paying about £200 a head more for the same rooms!
However, if you cost flights, transfer and rooms for September, there's not a lot of difference in the overall expense - and we do have the protection of being with a holiday company - and there have been times when having a rep to refer to has been very useful! (Wasn't the case last year - the rep was rubbish!)
John - Ostraco