login

Author Topic: Embrace Plakias while you can  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
Embrace Plakias while you can
« on: September 30, 2019, 03:51:38 PM »
Recently back from 2 weeks in Ialyssos on Rhodos, we fancied a change and hadn't been there for about 30 years. We rented some great apartments from a friend and took ourselves off independently with flights with Thomas Cook (just back in time).
The resort itself was like Benidorm or any other over developed resort you can think of. The sea was a beautiful blue BUT the beaches where like a building site, rubble, rubbish, fag ends everywhere, even stood in some Sh!t next to a sunbed (which were 10 euros! a day for a set). The food mostly very much the same everywhere, all served with a pile of instant rice and freezer chips, no bread supplied with starters unless you asked, no oil on the tables, very few freebies, only an ouso once, and a local liquor at an out of way way restaurant. Generally I would say a evening meal with local wine was costing us 8 to 10 Euros a day more than at Plakias.
Had bars with Karaoke, bars with over 12 flat screen TV's all showing a different channel, British louts stood in the middle of the road arguing with Taxi drivers about the cost.

Got to say that I thought Rhodes Airport excellent, even better than the much improved Heraklion, and don't mention Manchester T1

But the point of my rant is, ENJOY PLAKAIS, Even with all the building work, bloody ringo's, jetskis, wind, storms, plague of locusts, etc. it is still at least 20 times better than many places.

Already booked 22 nights independently for next June, flights with Easyjet, booked just before the price went sky high, Rooms at Castello Apartments booked (anyone got any reports...looks nice on tripadvisor),and better price than Kostas, Just Car Rental left to sort out.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Embrace Plakias while you can
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 08:03:58 PM »
The building by Paligremnos beach isn't to my liking, but at least they are low-level. I stayed near a small village on the Algarve coast in 2001, just as the first multi-storey blocks were going up en masse. It could be a lot worse, and Plakias is still essentially the same in many ways.

Quite by chance we booked our flights for next May with BA a few weeks ago. I'm not usually anything like that well-organised. Lucky I guess....

Offline thrillers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:49:22 PM »
2 things will keep it relatively 'safe'

THE WIND - we just did 19 nights and 4 days we wind affected and

THE DISTANCE - unless they do something spectacular with the roads then no all inclusive is bus people 2 hours from Heraklion or Chania

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
I tend to agree the wind and the distance will put many off (thankfully).  Also the fact that there is no through road in Plakias.

The building work is very rapid, but when you’re on the beach itself you don’t notice it.  And at the end of the day the mountain and sea views remain the same.

Also had it not been for development in the 70’s 80’s we probably wouldn’t be here.  So we can’t really complain too much.

Offline reddiablo

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 07:04:14 PM »
things always change   cest la vie
but I agree Plakias is to be loved , not visited for nine years till late may this year
needed to introduce my Chicago lady to the place I first visited July 2001
to see the place man late brother Thomas Murney loved so dearly , he died in a auto fatality near iraklion
on his way home to Leicester July 2000
my friend Monika reineck from Berlin is in Plakias right now
we met July 2001 and keep in touch
will return next July24 next year 2020 ., it's a long journey from home in Tampa Florida
but its worth the long flight .
luckily we are non rev on delta  so its the journey from Athens we need to pay for
this year we took ferry and 3 nights in Santorini , I've been and only wanted to show it to Josephine
then ferry to iraklion fort two nights , my usual walk and respects to Nikos kazantzakis tomb
then had lunch drinks with the lawyer giorgis kopidakis near the court house
where I last saw him 2003
and that's where I finally got to meet Zack zurbakis who was a great friend to my brother and was driving him that fateful night
we have become very very close friends
he picked us up in iraklion and took us to cyano in Plakias
had a great week then transferred us to hersonnis where my relatives were visiting from Manchester
nothing like Plakias
so will make the journey next July  intend to leave a few open days because we are on stand by flights
then find a nice air bb near chania.  rent a car and show Josephine the badlands , I love that end of the island
then off to lovely Plakias July 24