Author Topic: GBP for €uros  (Read 6072 times)

Offline greekblue

• View Profile
    • Email
GBP for €uros
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:27:03 PM »
My wife and I are visiting Plakias for only the 2nd time, the 1st being in 1990! (I thought it was time we went again). We have visited Greece every year since 1980 but have been going to Paros for the last 10+ years. My specific query is whether there are any banks or ATM cash machines in Plakias as I prefer to use my Debit card in Greece to draw out money as we need it as we get a much better exchange rate than in UK and my bank doesn't charge any commission or handling fee. Also do car hire places etc take credit/debit cards?

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
GBP for €uros
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »
no problem Greekblue

there are four atms along the front  now

Offline greekblue

• View Profile
    • Email
GBP for €uros
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
no problem Greekblue

Many thanks. That's put my mind at rest - I didn't want to have to change my £s in the UK. I think I posted my query in the wrong section, it was my 1st.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
GBP for €uros
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:48 AM »
Quote from: greekblue
no problem Greekblue

Many thanks. That's put my mind at rest - I didn't want to have to change my £s in the UK. I think I posted my query in the wrong section, it was my 1st.
Answer to your other question about Car hire and cards. You won't have a problem, they all accept them!

And don't worry about where you posted, some of us have been around a while and we still do it!!

Have a good one!!

george g...

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
GBP for €uros
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:40:42 PM »
Quote from: George
no problem Greekblue

Answer to your other question about Car hire and cards. You won't have a problem, they all accept them!

And don't worry about where you posted, some of us have been around a while and we still do it!!

Have a good one!!

george g...
Regarding using cards for car hire - if you arrange a pick-up from the airport in the middle of the night you may not be able to use a card to pay directly (our cotact took mastercard but not visa). However - no problem as we just popped back into the airport and got money out from an ATM. It did mean we'd used up our withdrawal limit for that day though.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
GBP for €uros
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Regarding using cards for car hire - if you arrange a pick-up from the airport in the middle of the night you may not be able to use a card to pay directly (our cotact took mastercard but not visa). However - no problem as we just popped back into the airport and got money out from an ATM. It did mean we'd used up our withdrawal limit for that day though.

They have always taken my card details by hand in the past. Just to show how laid back and trusting they can be this is my experience for this coming year (Mid Sept) :-

I went with them last year (excellent) so they know me and they are aware that I know the ropes so to speak. I told them that I will be arriving at the airport early hours of the morning. They don't want to get up in the middle of the night so they are going to leave the car documentation and car keys with the kiosk at the car park (familiar to me and I know where they park up). I have sent them my licence details so that they can fill in documentation correctly. When I asked about how I should pay them (was cash last year) they simply said - see you around at some time during your 18 day stay - we trust you.

John R
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:35:38 PM by John R »

Offline greekblue

• View Profile
    • Email
GBP for €uros
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »
Quote from: John R

They have always taken my card details by hand in the past. Just to show how laid back and trusting they can be this is my experience for this coming year (Mid Sept) :-

I went with them last year (excellent) so they know me and they are aware that I know the ropes so to speak. I told them that I will be arriving at the airport early hours of the morning. They don't want to get up in the middle of the night so they are going to leave the car documentation and car keys with the kiosk at the car park (familiar to me and I know where they park up). I have sent them my licence details so that they can fill in documentation correctly. When I asked about how I should pay them (was cash last year) they simply said - see you around at some time during your 18 day stay - we trust you.

John R

Offline greekblue

• View Profile
    • Email
GBP for €uros
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »
Quote from: John R

John R

Thanks to everyone who replied. We will probably wait until we get to Plakias to hire a car - I don't fancy trying to find my way from Heraklion airport to Plakias at 10.30pm and the owner of Morpheas Apartments where we're staying says she will arrange for a local taxi to collect us (I've asked her to let me know how much it will cost).

greekblue