login

Author Topic: Sun Beds  (Read 55080 times)

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: Sun Beds
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »
Haha. Very good. Couldn't predict the result though. Could be a whole new Olympic sport: unclothed v that strange word textiled. Much prefer clothed.

Offline Sunny Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »
The far end of Plakias beach is open to all and has been on all of my visits over 17 years.

Open to all ?

Have you never seen families arrive at the far end and leave immediately they notice that naturists are present, I have, and as a naturists I feel very uncomfortable about it.
Are you also suggesting that the large majority of visitors to Plakias are naturists?

I still maintain that a beach such as Plakias should really be open for all and that non naturists should be able to go to the nicest part of te beach without feeling uncomfortable.  :)

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 09:39:49 AM »
Well said, Sunny Jim. Our thoughts precisely as non-naturists. The tail seems to have long liked to wag the dog as far as use of the best part of Plakias beach is concerned:-) Time for a change?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »

Main reason for this post is to question the 3 or 4 hours on a coach statement.  As a first timer to Plakias with Olympic should I expect to have to endure that long a transfer or are times mentioned above a bit of a one-off?  Can someone advise please?

My quickest Olympic transfer was just under 90 mins (taxi) and my longest a bit over 3 hours. It is the luck of the draw and there is no way I know of to predict it. Grouping many holidaymakers' transfers together when possible to minimise cost is the way Olympic manages to offer their holidays at a price independent bookers can seldom rival.

Although many on this forum get very annoyed by the transfer times I just sit back am thankful about my good judgement in that I am not holidaying at some of the grotty places we drop off at. Also the €100+ each way you aren't paying for a taxi.

Mike

Offline kayisi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
Thanks Mike G.

Very good points you make and I have to agree with them all.  We have always traveled to the island independently before with this being our fist tour operator holiday after 30 + years of going it alone.  I was just hoping not to have to spend too long on a coach/bus after a 5 am start from home as arriving in Heraklion mid afternoon then adding a 3 to 4 hour journey round the houses doesn't give too much retsina time first night!

When you think about it though I suppose total journey time from the airport won't be too much different to - airport - bus station (wait for next bus) - bus to Rethimnon (wait about an hour)  - Rethimnon - Plakias.  That is as long as we aren't kept hanging around too long waiting for other flights which tour ops are very handy at doing I suspect.  Fingers crossed we are the only ones for Plakias that day and we might get a fast ride in a cab.  Thanks once again.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »
Afraid I doubt you'll get a cab the whole way even if you're the only ones for Plakias when you arrive as there will no doubt be plenty who need dropping off at resorts between Heraklion and Rethymno. However, the following may give you a glimmer of hope. On a couple of occasions years ago when travelling on a package with First Choice we were bussed to Rethymno and then after a little confusion and a wait taken by taxi to Plakias. Fingers crossed for you on that front.

I fully agree that the Olympic prices are very tempting compared to "doing it yourself", but whils ever we can we intend to remain independent travellers. Partly as we want to continue to show support to Markos and Evi Brokaklakis and family at Stella Studios after staying with them most years since 1992 and partly as we like the freedom an airport to airport hire car gives us for the duration of our two week stays. We like some time on the beach (if not the far end) and in the sea each day (maybe upto a couple of hours max), but love to head off in the car exploring too. Two full weeks spending all day every day on the beach is not our idea of a holiday.

BTW My better half enjoys white wine but not retsina, whereas for me retsina is a real flavour of Greece and I always look forward to picking up a bottle or two from the local supermarkets. Never tried any other than the crown topped ones though.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »
Well as many of you already know, this year I am hitching a lift with Olympus - yes including that notorious transfer- and then staying at Stella with the Aformentioned Markos  and Evi. That's the way the prices worked for me this time.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you and Gillian again at Stella's next month, John.

At least your transfers are daytime, which should very much help. Sue and I well remember having a few package transfers years ago and how awful we felt after being up all night travelling and only getting to Plakias in the coach around 6am. Only surpassed by the grim feeling when we had to set the alarm to be up for the return transfers which left from outside Monza travel at about 2am. We remember Yannis from Stella's appearing from nowhere to insist on taking our cases down to the coach in his pickup despite it being the dead of night. A top man.

Must be getting older as we just don't fancy night transfers like that any more:-) Daytime perhaps if need be.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
Agreed - there is no way I would have done this trick if the transfers were late night - something we were also familiar with years ago.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 08:09:32 PM »
Yes, John. Fully agree.

BTW I know from conversations with others whilst in Plakias last year (no names mentioned) that some thought Sue and I were daft for paying more to travel independently rather than taking a more attractively priced Olympic package and no doubt there are those who think you are daft for paying for accomodation with your Olympic package and then paying again to stay at Stella's, but we both know we have our good reasons. You pays your money and you takes your choice:-)

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
Having just returned from a week in Plakias I wish to make the following contributions.

I know it was August so the resort was not so busy with Northern Europeans, plenty of Greeks but they tend not to favour the Far End.
Only once was I aware that all the beds and umbrellas were occupied and then only for a short period.
In my opinion the beach is better than it's ever been. The guy who is attending this year is charming and extreemely polite. Not only does he conduct running maintenance on the chairs and umbrellas, ensuring the maximum numbers are kept in use, he has provided each umbrella with a terra cotta pot for waste. He empties each pot and washes it clean every day or when people leave during the day. He ensures the main refuse bin is never overful and he keeps the sand meticulously clean by picking up even the smallest items of litter and jetsam he sees.
I don't know if he's the concessionaire or is employed by the concessionaire but he's certainly made a difference.

On the subject of sharing with textile, I also visited Micro Amoudi which, being August, was packed with Greek people, although we North Europeans were also in evidence. As a result it was usually about 85% textile and 15% nude. I felt no hostility to either group and everybody rubbed along just the same.
Also, the new attendant at Micro Amoudi has improved that beach by keeping it immaculately clean and providing waitress service for drinks from her bar.
Overall, a great experience.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »
That is as long as we aren't kept hanging around too long waiting for other flights which tour ops are very handy at doing I suspect.
I haven't generally had to wait for another flight but occasionally have been delayed by other passengers, who have decided to take a taxi or bus but haven't had the courtesy to tell the rep that they won't be on the coach.

It is good to hear from Bertie that all was well at the far end.

Mike

Offline kayisi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks.  Not long to go now.  Looking forward to Plakias.  I'll report back, in case anyone is interested, when we get back home, ie there and back transfers.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
i am there now and no problems at all and its very hot` love it

barny
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
Well as many of you already know, this year I am hitching a lift with Olympus - yes including that notorious transfer- and then staying at Stella with the Aformentioned Markos  and Evi. That's the way the prices worked for me this time.

John,

Did you book a Plakias package. I have done similar, but booked the cheapest Malia package they had. That and car hire for the fortnight was still cheaper than air tickets alone, leaving us to stay where we liked in Plakias.

Mike