login

Author Topic: Ferries and WW2 history  (Read 9332 times)

Offline ARGONAUT

• View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« on: September 09, 2005, 02:22:24 AM »
ello all

I can visit some of the coastal towns west of Plakias by ferry - cant i ? As well as Gavdos and Prevelli? I realise the initial assault took place in north crete but is there any ww2 history / relics in this part of Crete - my grandfather was a signaller - motorcycle courier -RS - ho told me he met his 1st german believe it or not-  in the hospital bed next to his in Crete - german aircrew who had been shot down pre- paratroop assault, my grandad had back injury after coming off motorbike, they both were evacuated to Alexandria before Crete collaspsed!

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 11:32:38 AM »
ello all

I can visit some of the coastal towns west of Plakias by ferry - cant i ? As well as Gavdos and Prevelli? I realise the initial assault took place in north crete but is there any ww2 history / relics in this part of Crete - my grandfather was a signaller - motorcycle courier -RS - ho told me he met his 1st german believe it or not-  in the hospital bed next to his in Crete - german aircrew who had been shot down pre- paratroop assault, my grandad had back injury after coming off motorbike, they both were evacuated to Alexandria before Crete collaspsed!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Argo

My father was a DR in the Royal Signals as well, and he was in Crete! he was attached to 10th Corps, 8th Army in the DRLS. If you want to look at some pics of his section in North Africa go to [a href=\"http://harribobs.smugmug.com/gallery/680072]North Africa 41-42[/url]

there aren't a lot of WW2 sites but you can visit the new Monument near the Preveli monastery (where about 250 stragglers were hid by the monks and taken off by submarine)

Just over the headland to the west you have Pereasides Beach (spelling is probably wrong) near Rodakino, this is where General Kreipe was taken off Crete after his abduction by Paddy LF and Billy Moss (ill met by moonlight), Further down the coast to the west, there's chora sphakion (spakia) where the commonwealth troops where evacuted from

there's a daily ferry to preveli, but none to sphakia (unless any has been put on since May) but if you get there by taxi or bus, you can get a ferry which calls at Loutro, agia roumelli, sougia and finally paleohora. These are all on the edge of the white mountains which was a resistance stronghold during the war

You really can't go anywhere in Crete without being reminded of history

let me know if you want any further info

chris

Offline ARGONAUT

• View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 03:11:28 PM »
chris

just been looking at you ur fathers pics, uncanny! My grandad has passed away 1994 but members of my family have pics just like yours from north africa 1941 -1942 and personal notes from that time, i will track down when i get back from crete. The pic of your dad in sea with his mates - the guy with the white bottoms has a wee moustache and he looks llike grandad Corporal Frank Peek, ex Ta royal signal then regular 1939. Crete -n africa- Sicily - Italy - where he finished the war. do rem he was attached to the Royal Scots for a time - will research more!
very interesting.........

Jason

quote=harribobs,Sep 9 2005, 10:32 AM]
Quote from: ARGONAUT,Sep 9 2005, 02:22 AM
ello all

I can visit some of the coastal towns west of Plakias by ferry - cant i ? As well as Gavdos and Prevelli? I realise the initial assault took place in north crete but is there any ww2 history / relics in this part of Crete - my grandfather was a signaller - motorcycle courier -RS - ho told me he met his 1st german believe it or not-  in the hospital bed next to his in Crete - german aircrew who had been shot down pre- paratroop assault, my grandad had back injury after coming off motorbike, they both were evacuated to Alexandria before Crete collaspsed!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Argo

My father was a DR in the Royal Signals as well, and he was in Crete! he was attached to 10th Corps, 8th Army in the DRLS. If you want to look at some pics of his section in North Africa go to [a href=\"http://harribobs.smugmug.com/gallery/680072]North Africa 41-42[/url]

there aren't a lot of WW2 sites but you can visit the new Monument near the Preveli monastery (where about 250 stragglers were hid by the monks and taken off by submarine)

Just over the headland to the west you have Pereasides Beach (spelling is probably wrong) near Rodakino, this is where General Kreipe was taken off Crete after his abduction by Paddy LF and Billy Moss (ill met by moonlight), Further down the coast to the west, there's chora sphakion (spakia) where the commonwealth troops where evacuted from

there's a daily ferry to preveli, but none to sphakia (unless any has been put on since May) but if you get there by taxi or bus, you can get a ferry which calls at Loutro, agia roumelli, sougia and finally paleohora. These are all on the edge of the white mountains which was a resistance stronghold during the war

You really can't go anywhere in Crete without being reminded of history

let me know if you want any further info

chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 03:24:03 PM »

My Dad was TA as well before the war!!  but in Manchester with the 42nd Div

i'd be interested in your pics and information if you don't mind!

well we don't know who that is in the pic, from L-R:- Wilf, ?, ?, Dick and Arthur...I wonder? or is that too big a co-incidence

do-dah do-dah  ( supposed to be twilight zone music, not camptown races)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 03:29:02 PM by harribobs »

Offline ARGONAUT

• View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 04:23:38 PM »
aye---spooky, half expect Fox and Mulder to turn up now!
It'l be easy to track down some pics n notes from then, il do it when i get back - I inherited his medals - nothing else! general service medal, territorial medal, north african star and italy star!
You have been very helpfull - thanks..

Jason

My Dad was TA as well before the war!!  but in Manchester with the 42nd Div

well we don't know who that is in the pic, from L-R:- Wilf, ?, ?, Dick and Arthur...I wonder? or is that too big a co-incidence

do-dah do-dah  ( supposed to be twilight zone music, not camptown races)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline ARGONAUT

• View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 05:18:51 PM »
aye---spooky, half expect Fox and Sculley to turn up now!
It'l be easy to track down some pics n notes from then, il do it when i get back - I inherited his medals - nothing else! general service medal, territorial medal, north african star and italy star!
You have been very helpfull - thanks..

Jason

My Dad was TA as well before the war!!  but in Manchester with the 42nd Div

do-dah do-dah  ( supposed to be twilight zone music, not camptown races)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4336\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 05:27:59 PM »
Just over the headland to the west you have Pereasides Beach (spelling is probably wrong) near Rodakino, this is where General Kreipe was taken off Crete after his abduction by Paddy LF and Billy Moss (ill met by moonlight),

Anyone seen the film Ill Met by Moonlight with Dirk Bogarde, Cyril Cusack et al?

Sadly, it wasn't actually filmed in Crete though director Michael Powell spent some time on the great island doing his research.

Don't know of any other movies about the Cretan campaign though there have been a couple of TV versions of Evelyn Waugh's Sword of Honour trilogy, which draws on his experiences in the Battle of Crete (and makes grim reading).

BTW Jason, to get to the ferries at Hora Sfakion you'll need your own transport,  an expensive taxi or a series of bus trips via the north coast as they're not running buses from Plakias this year.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:32:30 PM by Rodger »

Offline ARGONAUT

• View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 05:47:42 PM »
il have a car when my frinds arrive on 23,
they wanna see Ideons cave, Gortis and pheastos, following days will try get bit further west, until then it'l be hiking boots - boats - buses for me!!!

ta   Jason

Just over the headland to the west you have Pereasides Beach (spelling is probably wrong) near Rodakino, this is where General Kreipe was taken off Crete after his abduction by Paddy LF and Billy Moss (ill met by moonlight),

Anyone seen the film Ill Met by Moonlight with Dirk Bogarde, Cyril Cusack et al?

Sadly, it wasn't actually filmed in Crete though director Michael Powell spent some time on the great island doing his research.

Don't know of any other movies about the Cretan campaign though there have been a couple of TV versions of Evelyn Waugh's Sword of Honour trilogy, which draws on his experiences in the Battle of Crete (and makes grim reading).

BTW Jason, to get to the ferries at Hora Sfakion you'll need your own transport,  an expensive taxi or a series of bus trips via the north coast as they're not running buses from Plakias this year.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 09:42:52 PM »
sword of honour was roughly based on his LIMITED experience of the battle, (IIRC) and is very uncomplimentary about any unit other than his own, personally i treat it as a work of fiction, but thats just my opinion

ill met by moonlight is good, and as you quite rightly say, Rodger, wasn't filmed in Crete (corsica wasn't it?) i think it captures the schoolboy spirit of the raid. the book was written by Billy Moss, Paddy leigh fermor has published a small piece about it but has never published his full account.

i actually got to see Paddy LFs original map earlier this year and exchanged quite a few emails with the grandson of one of his radio operators (joe Bradley). I would recommend antony beevors book Crete the battle and the resistance and George Psychdakis (spelling?) the cretan runner

there's a new film that's been talked about for a while now and it's just been (pre) released called 'The 11th Day' i honestly just found out about the release this evening and ordered my copy an hour ago, it looks bloody good, here's the link to the site  11th day

for anyone seriously interested in the battle for Crete or the resistance, i would certainly recommend a visit to Souda bay cemetary

« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 09:48:13 PM by harribobs »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »

he should have 39-45 star, territorial eff medal, africa star ( with clasp ?), italy star and war medal I would have thought, so you may be two missing from his war entitlement

if he was TA prior to the war, there was a good chance he was called up for the BEF and was in france and got out thru dunkirk, so to raise an old ( hot) potato...why wouldn't he be due a france/germany star  

( as mandy, frieda and a lot of my friends say...."don't mention the war"    )

Offline ARGONAUT

• View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 11:13:15 PM »
takes medals out display cabinet....the 39-45 star, the italy star, the territorial eff service , the defence medal and a medal red white blue ribbon n 1939-1945 on back with lion holding down some creature - 5 in all - and no african star?? I just thought there was, I rem seeing a hand written receipt for food stuffs dated Cairo 1942 and he was def not with the BEF in 39/40, he did talk about East Lothian - Drem airfield and Edinburgh castle being a military hospital at the beginning of the war?? Like i said il find pics n docs when i get back...

cheery   jason

he should have 39-45 star, territorial eff medal, africa star ( with clasp ?), italy star and war medal I would have thought, so you may be two missing from his war entitlement

if he was TA prior to the war, there was a good chance he was called up for the BEF and was in france and got out thru dunkirk, so to raise an old ( hot) potato...why wouldn't he be due a france/germany star  

( as mandy, frieda and a lot of my friends say...."don't mention the war"    )
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 07:52:55 AM »
ill met by moonlight is good, and as you quite rightly say, Rodger, wasn't filmed in Crete (corsica wasn't it?) i think it captures the schoolboy spirit of the raid. the book was written by Billy Moss, Paddy leigh fermor has published a small piece about it but has never published his full account.

i actually got to see Paddy LFs original map earlier this year and exchanged quite a few emails with the grandson of one of his radio operators (joe Bradley). I would recommend antony beevors book Crete the battle and the resistance and George Psychdakis (spelling?) the cretan runner

yep, I have all the books you mention.  I actually bought Moss's and Psychoundakis's books in Plakias some years back, in flimsy Efstathiadis editions of course.  Adam Hopkins' Crete: Its Past, Present and People also has some material on WWII though is unfortunately out of print.

The film looks really interesting, hope we'll see it this side of the Atlantic soon - seems to be only out in North America at the moment.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 12:15:19 PM »
takes medals out display cabinet....the 39-45 star, the italy star, the territorial eff service , the defence medal and a medal red white blue ribbon n 1939-1945 on back with lion holding down some creature - 5 in all - and no african star?? I just thought there was, I rem seeing a hand written receipt for food stuffs dated Cairo 1942 and he was def not with the BEF in 39/40, he did talk about East Lothian - Drem airfield and Edinburgh castle being a military hospital at the beginning of the war?? Like i said il find pics n docs when i get back...

cheery   jason

the red/blue white ribboned one is the british war medal

good to hear you're displaying them!

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 12:18:13 PM »
The film looks really interesting, hope we'll see it this side of the Atlantic soon - seems to be only out in North America at the moment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i think you can order it whereever you live, certainly myself and a few others already have

i'll let you know when i get it

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Ferries and WW2 history
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 04:40:49 PM »
there's a new film that's been talked about for a while now and it's just been (pre) released called 'The 11th Day' i honestly just found out about the release this evening and ordered my copy an hour ago, it looks bloody good, here's the link to the site  11th day

Is it a DVD you've ordered?
I looked at the the website for The 11th Day' but couldn't find a link to place orders (apart from the one to order tickets).
John Page