Author Topic: Ok, 2021, lets go !!  (Read 15238 times)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
Ok, 2021, lets go !!
« on: November 24, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »
Now that the latest vaccine news is looking like we can see an end to this Covid misery by Easter next year, we can start to plan for 2021 holidays in Plakias again !!
We have already re scheduled ( and paid for !!) one of this years flights back to June 9th next year but today we took the plunge and booked again for September.
14 nights from 11 th September from Leeds Bradford to Iraklion.
Daytime flights with Jet 2 and costing ?812.
Let's hope and pray that nothing comes along to spoil these plans.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:30:09 PM by Daniel »

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ok, 2021, lets go !!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 02:33:57 PM »
Just had our flight to Crete for there Easter blown out of the water again. Not totally surprised so now carrying it over to October should get all clear by then. We will both have our jabs by then next 2 weeks for me. My car hire company have carried my car payment over also. How many more out there are suffering like ourselves.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 06:38:43 PM »
Had my first jab this morning and Ruth has hers next Tuesday.
So, with the 12 week gap between jabs, we should both have had our final injection by end of April and be " clear" some 3 weeks after that.

Flight booked some time ago for first week in June and keeping our fingers crossed that that will be possible. But we have thought that before and been disappointed.

Looking now to book car park at Leeds Bradford and car in Crete sometime within the next few days.

But still more than half expecting it to go pear shaped again before then. Every time we get our hopes up about getting back to Plakias, something about this virus comes along and scuppers our plans.

Flights also booked for second week in September and , of the two  flights, they look to be a much more likely option this year.
But we live in hope !!

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 09:54:48 PM »
If you are booking a car in Crete why not support a local Plakias firm : MotoPlakias, brilliant service and good prices, and will arrange for the car to be ready at the airport for you.

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 02:06:55 PM »
Thanks for that Julie and Frank I will have a look at them and see how they compare with the ones I have been using in the past.
Daniel been going Plakias for 27 years I didn't know I could fly from Leeds Bradford being from Huddersfield it would be better for us than Manchester.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 02:46:28 PM »
I am no great fan of LeedsBradford airport.
It seems to have gone down hill over the last few years.
Far to many passengers using it for the ( outdated) facilities on offer.
Needs a lot of money spending on it if it is to become anything like a top class regional airport.
Compared to say Manchester or Newcastle or Birmingham then it well out of date.
But it is only about 30 mins from where we live, and on relatively quiet roads.
And the parking at Sentinel is close to the airport, easy to use and affordable.

This as opposed to over an hours drive to Manchester and the possible traffic congestion on the motorways.
So we continue to use it, despite its faults.

Offline reddiablo

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 12:18:18 AM »
best of luck to you all
we live in hope to visit finikas again in the not too distant future
we were all set and for once I had paid a deposit to cyano hotel to get a discount for July 20
we spent a week there may 2019  my American partners first visit to Plakias
and were due to return July 2020 to remember my brothers sad demise on road to iraklion [sisses]  July 25 2000
with help from my brothers friends in the area  , we had a memorial stone installed overlooking souda bay
located close to souda mare hotel
obviously our plans were canceled and we hope to travel from Tampa Florida later this summer
we get our second jab 9 days away on feb 10th
then its hurry and wait for authorities to decide
we fly stand by because my partner is delta airline retiree.   so fingers xd we will all meet again
im a uk  expat with Canadian and USA citizenships
we managed to see my family new home on Canadas beautiful prince Edward island last sept
two week approved quarantine before we could stay at my sons home
hoping we can get there for my 70 th this august   
Canada getting tough on returns from many countries    usa included
I drove to PEI 4500 miles there and back 
not sure what Canada will say if I attempt to enter by road at Maine New Brunswick border
right now only talking about those flying in.    mandatory test 72 hours before entering Canada
then mandatory hotel quarantine for three days  including another test.  Canada pm says will cost minimum 2000
I cannot get a answer what happens when driving
topsy turvy world right now

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:17:13 AM »
In with a chance of Plakias in early June ?
Will have had both vaccine jabs and willing to show evidence of that vaccination.
Flights with Jet 2 booked last year Leeds Bradford to Iraklion. ( eye watering expensive)
If not, then we will have to wait until September but we hope not !!

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 03:03:08 PM »
It's stop/start for me! Booked for 29th. April last November with easyjet to Chania, found out yesterday that all flights to Crete cancelled until 1st. May, so took the free flight change to move going out to that Saturday 1st May, but now Boris says no travel until 17th. May at the earliest. Cannot change to June until easyjet cancel all their early May flights, so I have to sit tight and hope easyjet cancel and there are seats on the flight, and Kostas has our room for us. This will be the 3rd. or 4th. change for us since last year, Kostas will be wondering what is going on! Missing Plakias big time.

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 01:05:25 PM »
Same boat as yourselves 3rd time of trying but keep on canceling so had to give up until October. No saying if Boris says ok that the EU will allow us in .

Offline micklfc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
We have booked to return to Plakias staying at Sofia Hotel 7th September for 2 weeks as have been going to Plakias every year since 2005 we are from Liverpool and have made many friends there.
Fingers crossed we can all go looking forward to seeing Aggelos at the pool bar and of course Joe at his bar so many of the great people we meet year after year.
We were lucky enough to get there last September despite Covid and thoroughly enjoy it.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 09:42:47 AM »
We should be in our first week in Plakias now but once again we are disappointed to be still at home in England.
Still living in hope for first week in September but who knows how things will develop ?

So, is anyone in Plakias now ?
How busy is the place ?
What are the mix of visitors ?
Are all bars and tavernas now open and how busy are they ?
Sun beds out on the beach and being used ?
And any other general observation about the place ?

Offline Peter G

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 10:28:25 AM »
We too are hoping to return on 7th September staying with Kostas and Chrysoulla. If things stay the same, in amber, if my understanding is correct, as we are double vaccinated we dont need to have a pre-departure covid test to enter Greece? Have already ordered our day 2 tests on return ( to get the serial numbers) and understand that the Plakias medical centre will do our covid tests for return to UK.  Does anyone know if all this is correct?
Good luck and good health to all when trying to return to our beloved Plakias. Kalo taxidi.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 06:30:05 PM »
If things stay as they or or improve, then we will fly out from Leeds Bradford with Jet 2 on Tuesday 7th September to Plakias for 14 days.

Pick up a car at the airport and a leisurely 2 hour drive across the island.

Staying with George at Creta Mare.

First meal on Tuesday will be at Gio Mar.

I hope that I am not tempting fate !!!

We are both double jabbed and THINK that we know what to do and what paper work is needed and which hoops  we need to jump thru at both departure and arrival in Iraklion. 
But we will check this several times before we set off for the airport. And any advice and guidance will be most welcome.

One thing which we can not second guess:
How long will it take us from arrival at Leeds Bradford to getting on the plane ?
We would normally leave plenty of time and arrive about 2hours before the flight departs.
Is this still enough time with all the (for us unknown) current checks/restrictions/paperwork to get thru the airport ?
And what, if any, could be the delays at Iraklion airport on arrival ?

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 07:00:04 PM »
I'm hoping to be travelling out on Saturday Sept 4th.
I keep an eye on the news, and have waves of optimism and pessimism! Current thinking is to wait until August 25th, when I believe the next government update is expected.
We're flying from Gatwick - and will probably arrive there 5 or 6 hours before we're due to fly, instead of the usual 3 or 4. Usually there's time for a meal airside, but this year - who knows?
As for arrival in Crete - well, it will be a question of getting our Greek heads on, and going with the flow there.

Nothing arranged yet for testing: hoping changes on the 25th will make things easier. Fortunately, we are all 'double-jabbed'.

From posts I've seen on other sites, there's no problem with getting tests in Plakias before returning home.
John - Ostraco