Author Topic: Upgrades and Enhancements  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Upgrades and Enhancements
« on: September 29, 2004, 10:59:45 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Time to get cracking on the Forum again, however there is some disappointing news.

Invision have seemingly gone back on thier word and will no longer provide thier lastest software as a free product. The way I read it is that we can continue to use what we have but will no longer have access to any upgrades/updates. I may be wrong though as the only free download is version 1.3 on thier website.

We are on IPB 2.0.0 PF2, since then there has been a PF3, PF4 and Final release. Luckily I downloaded the Final the other day before it disappeared so I will update the board soon.
OK this isn't so bad as what we have works very well. Going back to 1.3 could be problematical.

The main downside from my point of view is the availabilty of the add-ons (mods)  I had planned. Many of the people who create these for free are financially challenged students honing thier programming skills, and many will not continue.

What to expect:
Updated statistics page
Who was online today stats
Spell checker

What not to expect:
Portal page (although will keep looking and the default portal is always available)
Image gallery (authour has already stopped development)

Any feedback is welcomed.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 05:16:35 PM »
Just remebered... The forum and website is hosted by IPS and as such we already have a licence to use the latest version and get upgrades... phew.

Still means problems in the future for any add-ons which may not have been updated for later versions of the board software though.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 11:38:54 PM »
Right Paul - shouldn't be any problem with updates - as I understand it, the fee I pay to host the site includes the latest version of the board software.
That's not to say they don't take their time to post the updates.......
John - Ostraco