Author Topic: Good eating revival  (Read 6384 times)

Offline martyn

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Good eating revival
« on: June 23, 2004, 06:35:37 AM »
Seeing as this topic doesn't seem to have been updated for a while, just a heads up on a couple of places that we found and enjoyed. For dinner although probably one of the more expensive places, we found the Christos Taverna, (first taverna at the end of the harbour) to be excellent for fresh fish. Friendly service and a nice breeze off the sea to cool you down after a long day on the beach.

The second one we found possibly for lunch, was a kebab house for which I have forgotten the name. However, coming away from the harbour going east, it's just past the Sofia restaurant on the same side. Small place but great lamb or pork souvlakia (two skewers), served with fries, salad and tzaziki all for €5.

I'd also agree with what Susan told us regarding the first taverna on the left in Mirthios, which has marvellous views over the bay of Plakias and good food. This one is good at lunchtime or for dinner.

Happy eating

Martyn & Svetlana

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good eating revival
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 07:04:42 PM »
Know the Taverna well and had the most fantastic Tuna steaks there last year, even the kids enjoyed them !! Agree, the situation right by the water is superb, and as I recall the price was pretty reasonable - be back there this year for sure...
Totally agree with you as well on the little Souvlaki place - what a goldmine. How well I remember waiting for a 'large order' to be ready, being apologised to by the owner and asked if we minded waiting......with a beer or two whilst we were waiting 'on the house'. Yep went back there a few times as well, and very early (or was it very late) in the morning with severe 'munchies' after an evening putting the world to rights over a Mythos or two (or was is 10) on our balcony...marvellous.

Down to single digits in weeks now and getting very excited again..........

Enjoy all who go...........

Pritch

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Good eating revival
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 10:04:17 PM »
Agree with you both - but can I also suggest everyone follows the signs to the Castro Taverna.
We always go a couple of times every holiday - it's only about a 15 minute walk - go past the Youth Hostel and follow the signs.
The setting is fantastic, with great views across town. The food is always hot and fresh - and the service excellent.
John - Ostraco

Offline philj

• View Profile
    • Email
Good eating revival
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 12:45:41 AM »
I second what John says about Castro. Some of the best food and best views in Plakias.

My advice is to make sure you set off in plenty of daylight so that you can follow the signs and the road easily. If you time it right you will still be enjoying the excellent food and drink as the sun sets behind the hills. The change in light and colour as you look down on the bay really add to the experience.

Mention of Castro remainds me that I have a couple of pics of the views from the taverna. I have mixed them in with a few photos that I have given the link for many months ago...

http://photos.freeserve.com/public/detail....?c_album=742300

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good eating revival
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 10:42:27 AM »
For us MEDUSA is our favourite eatery, over the years we have tried most places
but we always return to MEDUSA. My favourite meal has always been Desbinas Stefado but I don't know why I've never noticed it before but there is a dish called Mezza MADUSA, wow, it is the best ever, pork in a slightly spicy onion and mushroom sauce (my mouths watering now thinking about it) its so creamy. I recomended it to everyone and one night there were 8 of uf us tucking in to it plus of course Babis's home made red wine and raki. It's always useful to ask if Desbina has a special, don't worry if your not sure what it is ask to go in the kitchen and have a look she will be more than happy (how many eateries could you do that in England?)
We have also been to the Souvlaki place and although I'm in a wheelchair and there are 2 big steps to get in it made no difference, as soon as the waiter and chef saw me the droped everthing and lifted me inside, (the only snag was they managed to get me down as well which meant I couldn't have anoughther drink)
But for a cheap and chearful quick meal it takes some beating and it's always a good sign when you see the locals eating there.
John & Zell

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Good eating revival
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 03:38:16 PM »
Medousa is also our very favourite place. However opinions vary and though respected by it is not the overall favourite of some people we associate with  while there at Plakias.

John R

Offline gems

• View Profile
Good eating revival
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 02:57:14 PM »
Hello everyone!
First time I've written anything...but here goes.  We got back from our first trip to Plakias just over a week ago - and one of the most enjoyable parts was the food!
Evening meals wise - we had an excellent meal up in Myrthios (at the second taverna) where you go and choose your meal and then you can pile as much on as you like!!  Also the fab train ride on the Alianthos express makes it even better!!!
Also we loved the Lysessos restaurant (just past the bridge heading towards the harbour)  - really friendly staff and mouth-watering food.  They claim to change them every day, but most of them are then same(!)  however the lamb was amazing - strongly suggest going there!
And we had some fantastic lunches in Souda and Damoni - really lovely authentic tavernas, (we were the only English there on the Sunday-amazing), fresh seafood, huge portions, plenty of choice, great value - and it was lovely not to be rushed out of a restaurant when you've finished, you could spend all afternoon there as far as they were concerned!
xxx

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good eating revival
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 04:38:38 PM »
And we had some fantastic lunches in Souda and Damoni - really lovely authentic

Hmm... sounds familiar, others may know what I'm talking about here; when I spoke to Nikos(previously of  the all famous Glaros) last year ( whilst sipping,yes sipping, raki in the Sofia) he told us that the chef that worked with him in glaros ie: Stavros, had moved his delicacies to a taverna in Damnoni.....

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Good eating revival
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 11:52:12 PM »
Ahhhhh - Glaros!
It was a tradition with us to always have our first and last evening meals there - and a few in between.
Now - well we followed Nikos, and it will be Spphia for us - hope he'll have our table ready next tuesday!
Stavros was all part of the Glaros magic - and I'm so pleased he's doing well still.
If you're not sure of the guys we are talking about, then CLICK HERE
(Nikos' remarkable skills in dispensing and drinking raki remain in the Gold Medal class!)
John - Ostraco

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Good eating revival
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 06:51:37 AM »
Ahhhhh - Glaros!
It was a tradition with us to always have our first and last evening meals there - and a few in between.
Now - well we followed Nikos, and it will be Spphia for us - hope he'll have our table ready next tuesday!
Stavros was all part of the Glaros magic - and I'm so pleased he's doing well still.
If you're not sure of the guys we are talking about, then CLICK HERE
(Nikos' remarkable skills in dispensing and drinking raki remain in the Gold Medal class!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2260\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And such a fine tradition it was too, me and Marge nicked it and did the same    Just loved that baked Feta cheese with onions, pepper and chilli... yumm.
Yes I truly don't know how Nikos remained standing and continue his fine work after all those Rakis.
A trip to Damnoni to try Stavros' handiwork again may well be in order.