login

Author Topic: Nearly There !!!!  (Read 9820 times)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 12:10:12 PM »
The normal thing is to walk in the gorge. Towards the top end there are checkpoints where you pay 2 Euro (in 2003) to go through. I would say it is more like a half day walk as last year we parked the car at the bottom, then walked up and back down again. Alternatively, if you park at the cafe at the top, you can walk down, then for a fee (forgotten how much) there are a couple of guys who will drive you back to the top.

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 02:38:51 PM »
Thanks Neil.  This year we arrived at Imbros village at the top of the gorge after driving over the mountains from Asi Gonia on our Plakforms Safari.  We were intending to visit the WW2 museum but after spending some time in Imbros looking for it we were eventually informed that it was some 5Km further North.  As by that time it was quite late in the afternoon we decided to skip the museum and do it another year.

You certainly can walk down the gorge as we've met others who've done it, Plakias Forums member Gastronomis for one.  I think Graham and Karen and Yvonne and Peter have also done it.  I've heard that it's about 8Km and takes about 4 hours.

We finished our safari by driving down the road alongside the gorge and then along the coast through Frangocastello, Rodakino and Selia back to Plakias.
John Page

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2004, 08:32:28 AM »
Cheers Guys, something to think about for the next visit !!!

John, not sure if it was noticeable to you (I also drove the same route back to Plak) but that the road conditions changed considerably when exiting 'Sphakia Prefecture' and entering 'Rethymnon Prefecture' i.e lines on the roads, barriers on the bends etc.
Superb drive though with some stunning views of Plakias when on your on the 'Dragons Back'.

Neil

Offline janm

• View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2004, 12:08:30 PM »
John
At a relatively active 56 and 60, we walked the Imbros gorge last year.  It is relatively easy compared to the Samaria and from memory it was about 2 hours.  Be warned, we hired a "taxi" from a taverna at the bottom, to get to Imbros village.  The taxi comprised a very beat up pickup with rough iron benches in the rear and a maniac in the driving seat, not to be recommended, but there are others offering the service, and of course local buses.  The walk through the gorge is well worth doing, many features are similar to the Samaria, just scaled down a bit, but still very impressive.
Jan and David

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2004, 04:45:20 PM »
We saw the pick-up taking some people back to the top last year - Scary indeed! :'(

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2004, 06:41:06 PM »
Cheers Guys, something to think about for the next visit !!!

John, not sure if it was noticeable to you (I also drove the same route back to Plak) but that the road conditions changed considerably when exiting 'Sphakia Prefecture' and entering 'Rethymnon Prefecture' i.e lines on the roads, barriers on the bends etc.
Superb drive though with some stunning views of Plakias when on your on the 'Dragons Back'.

Neil
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it's not unusual to see that kind of change in quality when crossing internal administrative borders.  In years past in Greece we've seen very extreme example of that.  For example, an unsurfaced narrow dirt track halfway up a mountain suddenly turning into a 24 metre wide brand new tarmac road with all the bells and whistles.

JohnR has it exactly right when he recommends that road towards Plakias in the late afternoon.  Mind you, you have to pity the motorists coming in the other direction, towards the setting sun.  Especially if they are in your typical hire car with the usual opaque windscreen.
John Page

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2004, 06:45:14 PM »
John
At a relatively active 56 and 60, we walked the Imbros gorge last year.  It is relatively easy compared to the Samaria and from memory it was about 2 hours.  Be warned, we hired a "taxi" from a taverna at the bottom, to get to Imbros village.  The taxi comprised a very beat up pickup with rough iron benches in the rear and a maniac in the driving seat, not to be recommended, but there are others offering the service, and of course local buses.  The walk through the gorge is well worth doing, many features are similar to the Samaria, just scaled down a bit, but still very impressive.
Jan and David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2498\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for that.  We may well risk the walk down next year.  I'm not so keen on risking that 'taxi' though.
Hmmm...  I wonder if we could organise something amongst ourselves, perhaps with one none walking driver...
John Page

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 09:50:56 PM »
We are 60 years apiece and we simply walk up in the morning, have lunch in the taverna at the top, and then walk down again. Very easily done and very enjoyable.

John R

Offline wakefossil

• ICQ Messenger - 346648572
    • MSN Messenger - wakefossil@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wakefossil
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004, 05:49:46 PM »
My girlfriend and I walked through Imbros gorge in September '02. Took a taxi up and walked down on the bottom of the gorge. Took us 2 hours IIRC, but we didn't rush things. (As I'm running around with a snapped ACL I gotta watch my step downhill.) So I would say 3 hours maximum for the walk if you really take it slow. (the drive up takes about 15 - 20 mins)
It's very beautiful. Definitely recommended. I don't think that you can walk on the bottom in spring, but in September it's all dried out.
You might save a few bucks if you can get a bus schedule, because then you won't have to take a taxi. Oh yes, and the local 'taxi' drivers all seem to be on the same medication... our ride was quite adventurous, too...

Andy

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2004, 10:15:23 AM »
John
At a relatively active 56 and 60, we walked the Imbros gorge last year.  It is relatively easy compared to the Samaria and from memory it was about 2 hours.  Be warned, we hired a "taxi" from a taverna at the bottom, to get to Imbros village.  The taxi comprised a very beat up pickup with rough iron benches in the rear and a maniac in the driving seat, not to be recommended, but there are others offering the service, and of course local buses.  The walk through the gorge is well worth doing, many features are similar to the Samaria, just scaled down a bit, but still very impressive.
Jan and David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2498\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for that.  We may well risk the walk down next year.  I'm not so keen on risking that 'taxi' though.
Hmmm...  I wonder if we could organise something amongst ourselves, perhaps with one none walking driver...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All you need are 2 cars John.  Think about it!
Yvonne

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2004, 03:03:29 PM »
Point taken Yvonne.  And what are you doing with your other hand, the Times crossword?

This makes me think of those brain teasers you get near the back of the newspaper...

A and B are in their car C.  Their friends, X and Y are...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 03:55:32 PM by compage »
John Page