login

Author Topic: First time in Crete - Car Hire  (Read 7188 times)

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
    • http://
First time in Crete - Car Hire
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
Hello. We're booked into Kostas Chrysoulla in October for a week, package wallahs I'm afraid.

We want to tour the island by hire car and, as the package includes airport transfer in the dark, felt it would be sensible to hire in Plakias once we arrive.

Would someone be kind enough to suggest a couple of reputable, local firms, if possible, with E mail or web site details.

I've read other posts on here and, I must say, it's a wonderful site about, what we anticipate, will be a wonderful place.

Many thanks for all your help.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:13:04 PM »
Quote from: Cabbyman
Hello. We're booked into Kostas Chrysoulla in October for a week, package wallahs I'm afraid.

We want to tour the island by hire car and, as the package includes airport transfer in the dark, felt it would be sensible to hire in Plakias once we arrive.

Would someone be kind enough to suggest a couple of reputable, local firms, if possible, with E mail or web site details.

I've read other posts on here and, I must say, it's a wonderful site about, what we anticipate, will be a wonderful place.

Many thanks for all your help.

When we used to hire in town (for the same reasons as you) we used Anso travel http://www.ansotravel.com/ and found them very satisfactory. There are many others most if not all very satisfactory. Enjoy your stay.

John R

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
Many thanks for your help, John.

Any other suggestions from anyone, please?

Offline Robin Young

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »
Many thanks for your help, John.

Any other suggestions from anyone, please?
you could try Creta 2000 at Damnoni. Manager Adonis Mougiakakos Tel. +3028320 20045
It is a small operation but very good.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:24:49 AM »
Try these guys, I've been using them for years and if you mention this forum you'll get 5% discount:

http://www.justrentals.gr/

Pick the car up at the airport and leave it there on your return!
Beats the bus transfer!

george...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:27:31 AM by George »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Robin, I know you expressed a preference for a local firm but I have to agree with George; JustRentals are good. You won't beat them on price and we'vre been happy using them the last few years.

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 07:42:42 PM »
Sorry to have been so rude by not replying.

We have airport transfers on Tuesday (!!!) and have decided not to risk the drive from Heraklion in the dark.  We'll pick a car vup in Plakias on Wednesday.

Where's the best place to spend Tuesday evening??

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 11:18:04 AM »

We have airport transfers on Tuesday (!!!) and have decided not to risk the drive from Heraklion in the dark.  We'll pick a car vup in Plakias on Wednesday.

We stayed here a couple of times, just an average hotel but with a great view from the bar/restaurant on the roof, great place to sit in the morning and enjoy your breakfast!
http://www.castellohotels.com/city-hotel-heraklion.aspx

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »

Hi we are arriving Tuesday & staying at the Kostas, we have been visiting Crete for 23years & Plakias for 20 of those!!!!

Plakias is like a magnet to us & we love it!!! we have driven all over the Island & would be more than happy to pass on any 'tips/info'
which you may find helpful.

We have used Eurocars for the last 4 years & we get a 'return customer discount' + a further discount if we pay cash.  We collect the car at the Airport as we normally are 'flight only'  we stay at the Paligremnos Aug/Sept (highly recommended). This year we are just having a late cheap package (Les has just had a stay/surgery in hospital). We just need some late sun before the dreaded English winter sets in.

Have a safe journey & perhaps we will meet up.

Regards

Dave&Les

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 12:54:40 PM »
Quote from: Dave&Les

Hi we are arriving Tuesday & staying at the Kostas, we have been visiting Crete for 23years & Plakias for 20 of those!!!!

Plakias is like a magnet to us & we love it!!! we have driven all over the Island & would be more than happy to pass on any 'tips/info'

We have used Eurocars for the last 4 years & we get a 'return customer discount' + a further discount if we pay cash.  We collect the car at the Airport as we normally are 'flight only'  we stay at the Paligremnos Aug/Sept (highly recommended). This year we are just having a late cheap package (Les has just had a stay/surgery in hospital). We just need some late sun before the dreaded English winter sets in.

Regards

Dave&Les

Hi, look forward to that. I think time will be limited; We're aiming for Knossos on Thursday and then driving over to Kissamos to see some friends on Friday and Saturday.  If you see us, you're looking for the bald, fat guy with a grey beard and ......... I'll let her describe herself later!!!  [She says 'Middle-aged bird with shoulder length hair!](no I didn't, I said: Fat middle-aged........)

Getting excited...

Cherry & Steve.

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »
Quote from: Dave&Les

Regards

Dave&Les

Hi, look forward to that. I think time will be limited; We're aiming for Knossos on Thursday and then driving over to Kissamos to see some friends on Friday and Saturday.  If you see us, you're looking for the bald, fat guy with a grey beard and ......... I'll let her describe herself later!!!  [She says 'Middle-aged bird with shoulder length hair!](no I didn't, I said: Fat middle-aged........)

Getting excited...

Cherry & Steve.

Ha Ha!! wish we were that young.............Les will be 'rushing' round with her stick & Dave will be sporting a bald head & a nice 'cuddly' belly...hey ho!!

Hope to meet you even if briefly......

Dave&Les

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »
Thanks to all who contributed. We met Dave and Les. Great fun.

For info:

We could have hired for a week online from UK for c. £90, collect car at Heraklion. We didn't due to not wishing to drive in the dark.

We spent some of Wednesday visiting most rental offices in Plakias. Pick up late Wednesday, return late Saturday locally.

Prices fluctuated especially when we explored the possibility of leaving the car at Heraklion on Tuesday!

We eventually picked up a Hyundai Getz from Auto Moto Plakias for 87 Euros, CASH,  for the three days, two drivers, unlimited mileage, all insurances, no deposit.  A good little car that did us for about 500 km for the three days.

Next time, we'll book online and collect/drop at airport.

Thanks again for everyone's help.