Author Topic: Google maps in Greek?  (Read 6614 times)

Offline Cat

• View Profile
Google maps in Greek?
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:51:10 PM »
Hello,

I was trying to look around Crete on Google maps the other day but it was all in Greek. Does anyone know if there is any way of changing all the place names into English?

Thanks,

Cat

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Google maps in Greek?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:13:42 PM »
Hi Cat,
Use Microsoft maps instead http://maps.live.com/
The names are in English. Mind you, the location of the names is not altogether accurate - Plakias is shown where Mirthios is
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:15:56 PM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Google maps in Greek?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 05:18:24 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Hi Cat,
The names are in English. Mind you, the location of the names is not altogether accurate - Plakias is shown where Mirthios is

The other down side is that the resolution is poorer

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Google maps in Greek?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:44:32 PM »
Hi Cat,

The other down side is that the resolution is poorer  

Yes its a real shame that the MS one does not have the same resolution as Google Maps.
I have a new PDA with a built-in GPS. There is a mobile MS Maps program that will store the maps so I could go to Plakias and use the GPS to find out exactly where I was. Handy for those long hikes I never really do or if you get lost on the way home from the bar

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Google maps in Greek?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:51:29 AM »
Quote from: Cat
Hello,

I was trying to look around Crete on Google maps the other day but it was all in Greek. Does anyone know if there is any way of changing all the place names into English?

Thanks,

Cat
To answer your original question - I'm not aware of a way of changing the names to English on Google Maps. Another option is to download Google Earth. Resolution is good but you don't have the option of a road map. Names are in English but when I looked at it briefly, most names only appeared when you clicked on a placemark.

Offline Cat

• View Profile
Google maps in Greek?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 11:22:05 AM »
Quote from: Cat
Hello,

Thanks,

Cat
To answer your original question - I'm not aware of a way of changing the names to English on Google Maps. Another option is to download Google Earth. Resolution is good but you don't have the option of a road map. Names are in English but when I looked at it briefly, most names only appeared when you clicked on a placemark.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at both of those later on tonight. You'd think that Google could work it so that if you use maps from Google.co.uk the place names could be written in english, likewise if you were to use maps from google.de the maps could be written in German. Ah well.