Author Topic: Red wine?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline nora

• View Profile
Red wine?
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:08:23 PM »
We went to Paleochora 10 years ago and LOVED the resort but found the local house red wine really disapointing, it was brownish in colour and tasted like sherry.

Is it the same in Plakias?

I am not a wine snob and usually drink the local carafe wine in Greece. Can anyone advise which tavernas have the best house red? Failing that can anyone recommend a reasonably priced bottle of red that is widely available in the tavernas. Smooth and dry.........

Yammas
Nora x

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Re: Red wine?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »
We are here in Plakias right now. Local red wine served last night at Medousa was as in previous years and definitely not that brown sherry like stuff.

John

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
We have been in Plakias several times during the last years and have been to several different restaurants.  We have never been served a brown sherry-like wine.  Most of the house-wines are of acceptable taste and quality and some restaurants even sell bottled wines at reasonable prices (compared to restaurants in Belgium).

Hugo

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
I like a nice bottle of Makedonikos - Red or Rose. It's available at supermarkets and tastes great on the balcony under the stars. I'm sure if you check the wine lists , one or two establishments will sell it too. For those moments when you fancy something a little bit less rustic if you know what I mean.

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
Stelios taverna in Lefkogia is usually reliable for the quality of his wine. We have always been pleased with the offerings at Vrisi in Mythios also

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
Yes Nora we have had poor house red in the past but not for many years. We have just finished 5 nights in Paleochora and have had several house reds. All very drinkable and of different taste, but I am not an expert!
Stuart

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »
Thanks everyone - what a response, shows where all our priorities lie.
Very reassuring and I'll be sure to sample a few and  report back. hic.......
Nora xxx

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »
The only awful red I have been served in Plakias was at the Manoussos - I only wish it had tasted as desirable as bad sherry!

That was 6 years ago and no guide to today, however.

Hope your holiday meets all your expectations.

Mike

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
We went to Paleochora 10 years ago and LOVED the resort but found the local house red wine really disapointing, it was brownish in colour and tasted like sherry.

Is it the same in Plakias?

I am not a wine snob and usually drink the local carafe wine in Greece. Can anyone advise which tavernas have the best house red? Failing that can anyone recommend a reasonably priced bottle of red that is widely available in the tavernas. Smooth and dry.........

Yammas
Nora x
Hello Nora,

Surprisingly the house red is mediocre (but not bad) in Mousses but the house white and retsina are excellent. House red is excellent in Medousa. The only wine I have had which is as you describe (which is due to extensive oxidation) is in The Souvlaki House (The Hut). A pity, because the lady who runs it is such a nice person. If you notice it, nearly everyone at the SH drinks beer.

I usually pay 2.5€ for half a litre of house wine in Mousses. Can't be better value anywhere.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:50:12 PM by Mike G »

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Thank you two Mikes - now optimistic about the wine situation - maybe 2002 was a bad vintage as every taverna was the same :)
Yammas
Nora x