Author Topic: Library  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Library
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:36:43 AM »
This will interest some of you I guess:

http://www.rethymnonnews.com/Current/community4.htm

Offline Andrea

• View Profile
    • Email
Transfers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
Hello every one i am new to the list and have never been to Plakias before.

I will be staying there for three weeks from 1st may. As i will be travelling on my own- any one got any ideas how to keep the cost of the transfer from Herraklion airport down?

I have no problem travelling on buses or sharing transport.

Any suggestions gratefully received Thank you. :)

Andrea

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
Re: Library
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:56:42 AM »
If you're flying into Heraklion, then you can get a cab from the airport to the harbour bus station (10min), then a bus to Rethymnon (one and a bit hours) and from there to Plakias (45min) - last time I did it, it was about 25 euros in total. However, there aren't a lot of Rethymnon to Plakias buses, especially not as early as May 1. Google KTEL Crete for timetables. It's a good introduction - locals on the buses and the fabulous views of the gorge just before you get to Plakias.

Offline Andrea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »
Thank you for that. unfortunatley  i arrive at the airport at 13.10 so will miss the last bus to plakias that leaves i think at 14.30.

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:51:53 PM »
There are more buses in the summer, including into the evening, you may well be alright in May, check the timetables nearer the day. And if the timings don't work out great there are worse places to kill an hour or so than Rethymnon bus station - it's got a café/bar and a terrace with a view over the sea (the toilets are rubbish though...).

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
If you want to cut costs further still, an airport bus costing only €0.90 will take you into town, but there is a bit of a walk from the stop you get off at to the bus station.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:40:25 PM »
I agree except that last year the fare was €1.10. You buy the ticket from the machine at the bus stop on the far side of the airport bus/short term car park area. The bus is the No 1 and leaves about every 10 minutes. You get off the bus in Elaftherias Square and basically start heading down hill towards the port.  It's not that far to walk down to the bus station (right next to the ferry port) but if you've got hand luggage  (as opposed to a back pack) greek parking (abandonment) makes the sidewalks a little tricky. Alternatively you can get off the bus before Elaftherias Square but you really need to know the route; I think it's just past McDonalds.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:58:45 AM by Bertie »