Author Topic: Slow painful death  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
Slow painful death
« on: June 04, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »
The forum seems to be dying a slow death, regular names don't appear to have even logged on never mind posted a comment....come on everyone, post something....comments, photos, queries, etc. Lets keep it going as the best source of up to date information on Plakias

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slow painful death
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 03:16:18 AM »
Would love to contribute but have been living in Australia for the last 7 years. No direct flights from Sydney :-) Pete

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:04:29 AM »
Couldn't do a long weekend with a stopover in Athens then

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
I suspect trip advisor and Facebook etc are taking over.

Anyway my comments from this last week.  Weather was strange for a few days and cooler than normal I think.  Beaches quiet.  Still a lot of familiar faces from years ago - both locals and tourists.

Bit of development going on here and there, but nothing drastic.

Still same old Plakias.

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »
Good......12 days to go, then at Kostas for 21 nights this year

Offline Noggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 07:17:33 AM »
Unfortunately, we're not coming to Plakias in September this year as my Norwegians want to try something else. I've arranged 11 days in Stavros then 10 days in Plaka in the north. I will be hiring a car, though, to spend at least 1 day in Plakias. Would love to read about other peoples visit to Plakias.

Off topic:
I'm currently in Almyrida, where I decamp to every spring to escape the awful climate in Norway. It's been a lot cooler this year with lots of wind.
What I have noticed over the last few years is the amount of new hotels, apartments and luxury villas that have been built. What used to be beautiful green hills are now mostly concrete. On my hikes I notice that almost all the villas stand empty. A shame. And the small coastal town has become overcrowded with tourists. The small beaches are just a mass of bodies.
Was talking to an internet engineer a few days ago and he said they're having a huge problem trying to deal with all the extra internet requirements as the infrastructure is so out of date they can't handle the extra load being asked for.
The view from my balcony across the bay is still wonderful, however.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 04:57:46 AM »
I had noticed this also - perhaps due in part at least to the predominantly German visitor since the decline of reasonable choice and (any) service from tour ?

Offline micklfc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
Hi its Mick & Linda from Liverpool

Looking forward to Plakias this year our 15th in a row usual two weeks flying from Manchester for 2 weeks staying at the Alianthos for the first time cant wait.
Looking forward to meeting up with many familiar faces  and spending time with Angelos at Costas's, Joe at Joes bar, Pavlos at Kyma not to mention Mikey at Cozy's not forgetting the wonderful owners of Apollo I suspect not much has changed since last year.
Meeting up with Nick & Mary from Bristol as usual looking forward to catching up with them

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
Angelo is still there (I popped in for a cocktail the other day). He still has the same laugh...

Offline reddiablo

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »
well its been nine years since I last trod on the treasured area of Plakias
decided it was time to bring my yankee partner Josephine from our casa in Tampa FL
she loved Plakias immediately , arrived at hotel cyano 3-30 pm
unpacked swiftly and then walked to my brothers memorial stone overlooking souda bay
it is positioned just west of soda mare hotel
we left a mythos on the stone , my brother Thomas Murney perished July 25 th2000 in a traffic fatality near sisses
he was with his friend and taxi driver Zak zourpakis
Zak picked us up at our iraklion hotel and we hugged as usual, then took us to cyano Plakias
there was a trial in iraklion may 2003 , rightfully Zak was cleared of any fault ,
he has become a friend and has driven me several times .
my friend stellios kaoudis without whom we would not have this inspiring stone memorial
knew I was in town while walking his dog he spotted the mythos
he visited us at cyano which he had not seen , seems his relatives have a stake in the property
I will post about cyano on hotel section, we were very pleased and have paid 30%deposit for 24 July 2020 , 20 years since the catastrophe
sorry the post is long, I'm avoiding the Tampa FL intense heat
I met many old friends of Thomas , they know me from several visits 2001-2010
had a great journey flying via New York to Athens .one night in rafina,then 8 hours ferry to Santorini
had 3 nights there before ferry and two nights in iraklion
managed to find the lawyer whom I last saw may 2003 at the trial,
paid my usual respects to Nikos kazantzakis , always visit his tomb when im in iraklion
so Plakias was marvelous , finally met Joe at his sports bar , he knew tom very well
so here's to next July and a full week at cyano , coming via Chania this time , rent a car and show jo the east of Crete
yassas

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »

We are regulars to Plakias since 25 years and this forum has been the source of many really useful information, enlighting  discussions and fun. Thanks for that! On the other hand it seems as if the spreading of the stories of the unique beauty of the place made it so popular, that some of its most precious facettes are already gone or in danger to be lost by the masses of us people to come here. We are still in love with Plakias but sometimes it might  be better not to shout it out to loud. ;-)