Author Topic: Easyjet Confirmation email  (Read 9989 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Easyjet Confirmation email
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
Hi everyone.

It is now 2 weeks to my departure and I have just received an email from easyjet :-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Travel document information required

Before you travel, you are legally required to provide us with travel document information for your journey.

You MUST provide this. If you don't, members of your travelling party will not be allowed to take their flight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a link in the email which efficiently took me to log in to my easyjet account  and thence a form which I had to fill in giving details of my and Gillian's passport. No information - no flight they say. I don't remember doing anything like this in previous years and this is to advise independent travellers using easyjet (and perhaps other airlines ??) to look out for this email and comply with it. They state that this info is required by some countries for security reasons. Having completed the form on my easyjet account page the intro page changes to :-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for providing your advanced passenger information. Please remember that if this information is inaccurate or does not match the document presented for travel, you will not be allowed to take your flight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just a bit bothered that some easyjet flyers to Plakias may miss seeing this email - spam filters and such like !!!.

John R

Offline Rogataber

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
Quote from: John R
Hi everyone.

It is now 2 weeks to my departure and I have just received an email from easyjet :-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you travel, you are legally required to provide us with travel document information for your journey.

You MUST provide this. If you don't, members of your travelling party will not be allowed to take their flight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a link in the email which efficiently took me to log in to my easyjet account  and thence a form which I had to fill in giving details of my and Gillian's passport. No information - no flight they say. I don't remember doing anything like this in previous years and this is to advise independent travellers using easyjet (and perhaps other airlines ??) to look out for this email and comply with it. They state that this info is required by some countries for security reasons. Having completed the form on my easyjet account page the intro page changes to :-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for providing your advanced passenger information. Please remember that if this information is inaccurate or does not match the document presented for travel, you will not be allowed to take your flight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just a bit bothered that some easyjet flyers to Plakias may miss seeing this email - spam filters and such like !!!.

John R

This is just the latest manifestation of the New Labour nanny state. Because some people are terrorists they assume we are all terrorists and by this assumption undermine the freedoms which we seek to preserve (and they inaccurately profess to preserve). I suspect the best course of action is to reply and fill in the data and write to your MP complaining about the new "and improved" diminution of civil freedom in the UK.

Roger

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »
Quote from: Rogataber
This is just the latest manifestation of the New Labour nanny state. Because some people are terrorists they assume we are all terrorists and by this assumption undermine the freedoms which we seek to preserve (and they inaccurately profess to preserve). I suspect the best course of action is to reply and fill in the data and write to your MP complaining about the new "and improved" diminution of civil freedom in the UK.

Roger

Sorry but I can't say it bothers me in the least. I'll put up with anything whether perhaps futile or not if it might improve security when travelling. Anyway I suspect it is Greece that is making the demand and not the UK. I take the attitude that if I've nothing to hide (ie not a criminal) then I provide whatever info people ask for even if it may seem a bit petty and futile.

John R

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:01:23 PM »
Hi everyone.

John R
Hi John - yes, worth letting people know. We were surprised a few weeks' ago to get the same email. If this information is essential, why wasn't I prompted to enter it when I booked or when we got the first confirmation email. Oh well, all done and sorted. We'll see you at Stella's

Offline Rogataber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »
[ Anyway I suspect it is Greece that is making the demand and not the UK. John R

Hi John,

It is the UK see http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/travellingto...infopassengers/

Roger

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »
[ Anyway I suspect it is Greece that is making the demand and not the UK. John R

Hi John,

Roger

Thanks for the link Roger. Interestingly, from that site:
Passengers simply provide their carrier with information from their passport or travel document at point of booking, and the carrier then provides e-Borders with passenger and crew details in advance of travel.

I wasn't asked for passport information when I booked but that was last year and I see that this scheme has been and is continuing to be rolled out this year into 2010.

I can see why they want the information but it reminds me of the red tape and hoops you have to jump through sometimes just to pay money into your own bank account.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »

Hi John,

Roger

Yes you are quite correct - read it with interest. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I booked my flight very early (12 months ago) - obviously that info was not required at that time but has caught up with me and Easyjet

John R

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:24:01 PM »
Jet2 have been asking for advance passport details for a while now in line with Home Office requirements. A simple enough task to comply with and, like John, I agree that anything whilst helps to combat terrorism is worth a minor inconvenience (9/11 anniversary today of course).

It must be getting near our annual trip to Plakias as, although I glance at the Forum intermittently, my interest increases as our return approaches. Very much looking forward to chilling out at Stella's again despite poor Yannis' illness. Markos told me this morning that his dad is continuing to get a bit better, which is good news. Whilst we travel elsewhere throughout the rest of the year, we think this is something like our 15th Autumn visit to Plakias, having stayed almost every time at Stella's.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 02:48:15 PM »
Quote from: G&S
Jet2 have been asking for advance passport details for a while now in line with Home Office requirements. A simple enough task to comply with and, like John, I agree that anything whilst helps to combat terrorism is worth a minor inconvenience (9/11 anniversary today of course).

It must be getting near our annual trip to Plakias as, although I glance at the Forum intermittently, my interest increases as our return approaches. Very much looking forward to chilling out at Stella's again despite poor Yannis' illness. Markos told me this morning that his dad is continuing to get a bit better, which is good news. Whilst we travel elsewhere throughout the rest of the year, we think this is something like our 15th Autumn visit to Plakias, having stayed almost every time at Stella's.

Glad you managed to contact Markos ok and glad to hear the positive news.

Looking forward to meeting you there again in 11 days time

John R

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Quote from: G&S

Yes - good news that Yannis is, at least, making some progress. No doubt we've seen you before at Stella's and will again if you're there before 27th.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:22:37 PM »

Hi John,

Roger

Yes you are quite correct - read it with interest. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I booked my flight very early (12 months ago) - obviously that info was not required at that time but has caught up with me and Easyjet

John R

Hmm.  This year I booked my trip in April through a high street travel agency, and flew with BA.  At no point prior to departure was I asked to provide passport details. I did have to sign a set of the agency's standard booking conditions, one of which stated, "The title/first name/family name shown on my itinerary matches the details shown in my Passport."  And that was it.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »
An interesting thread John R has started. I have a holiday booked with Manos for later this month and two with Olympic for 2010, all flights being with Monarch. I haven't been asked for this passport information with any of them. Does anyone know why this might be? Maybe it only applies if booking flight only.

BTW I agree with John R about accepting a degree of inconvenience to try and stop people doing evil things and accept it as a sign of the times. I like to think I am a law abiding citizen with nothing to hide.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
An interesting thread John R has started. I have a holiday booked with Manos for later this month and two with Olympic for 2010, all flights being with Monarch. I haven't been asked for this passport information with any of them. Does anyone know why this might be? Maybe it only applies if booking flight only.

BTW I agree with John R about accepting a degree of inconvenience to try and stop people doing evil things and accept it as a sign of the times. I like to think I am a law abiding citizen with nothing to hide.

Mike
I also agree - my earlier post wasn't meant to sound too much like Mr Grumpy. When travelling, I get overly twitchy  about anything that might put a spanner in the works so I've (needlessly) gone back to check the details several times. Daft really

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »
Perhaps this procedure is only needed for flights with online check-in?
Our instructions for a flight with Jet2 are to 'check-in' online within a month of the flight date, supplying passport details and printing out your boarding cards.
Then, on arrival at the airport, you just need to hand in the pre-booked baggages and proceed to the departure gate.

This way there is no-one to take your passport details and issue a boarding card, so it has to be done online.
It should reduce queues and, since less staff are needed, reduce costs too.
John Page

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
We quite like Jet2 as they fly to an ever increasing variety of destinations from our local airport (Leeds Bradford - their home base) and in our experience operate pretty much on time. Unless you are lucky though they are not a budget airline when you calculate total ticket costs as opposed to the headline-catching base fares. I guess you generally tend to pay a reasonable fare for the convenience they offer.

We have recent experience of their online check-in process, having used it four times since June. Checking in and printing your boarding passes is simplicity itself, as is providing passport info (that can be done at any time online from point of booking). However, the system can fall down when you get to the airport as, with Jet2 charging you for checking in online but critically less than for doing so at the airport, many passengers opt to do so and, if you have any hold baggage, you than have to queue at the airport at one of the dedicated "online check-in desks" to have your passports and self-printed boarding passes checked and your cases weighed. The queue for these desks can be minimal, but equally it can be as long as the normal check-in one. One other point is that at the online check-in desks the staff sometimes reprint your boarding passes if they consider the quality of the ones you "prepared earlier" to be inadequate.