Author Topic: Good hotels?  (Read 19318 times)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Re: Good hotels?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »
Morpheas good and Livicon next door. All one family Sisters and Brothers-in-law.

Offline covboy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »
My wife and I are currently staying at Manolis Apartments. Great location and has a pool. We are in the new block which has spacious rooms with simple but adequate cooking facilities. The prices in the restaurants in Plakias are a bit of a rip off so we eat in most nights and then go out for a drink. And there are other young people staying (we are in our early thirties). Good fun. Irene and Manolis are very friendly and so are their kids. We booked here because it rated highly on Tripadvisor. We are glad we are not staying at Morpheas, Livicon or the Lamon. They have great views out to sea and are probably OK early in the season but they are right on the main road and must be very hot and noisy in July and August.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 01:40:05 PM »
The prices in the restaurants in Plakias are a bit of a rip off so we eat in most nights and then go out for a drink.
In my experience the tavernas in Plakias are some of the cheapest I have come across in Greece, the quality of food is high, and they are good value. Recent posts have highlighted the fact that most of us have our favourites and there is no one that is favoured by all.

The price of basic staple foods in the supermarkets is high and with the exception of alcohol many things are more expensive than in the UK. Although I occasionally come across other holidaymakers like Covboy who prefer to eat in I think they are a small minority. Each to their own though.

I hope you continue to enjoy your holiday.

Mike

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »
My thoughts exactly, Mike.

A shared starter, 2 mains and 1 litre of wine NEVER cost us more than 30 euros, even with a tip.
And we have yet to leave any tavern in Plakias feeling hungry.

We have travelled widely to very many Greek resorts, island and mainland, but Plakias is by far the most reasonably priced place we have found.

But taking the cost from the equation, surely a major part of the Greek holiday experience is a glass of wine on the balcony with some olives and maybe a little feta, after the beach and a shower and watch the sun go down over the dragons head ?
And then to and evening meal at any one of (for us) 6 places and to sit and people watch as we finish the wine.
Often the end of a perfect holiday day.

Offline covboy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »
My thoughts exactly, Mike.

A shared starter, 2 mains and 1 litre of wine NEVER cost us more than 30 euros, even with a tip.
And we have yet to leave any tavern in Plakias feeling hungry.

We have travelled widely to very many Greek resorts, island and mainland, but Plakias is by far the most reasonably priced place we have found.

My wife and I hired a car today and went to Margarites because we are interested in ceramics. We had an excellent lunch for two in the little square under a beautiful shady tree. Total price for two was 14 Euros.
I guess if you live in London or the SE then 30 Euros may seem a snip. But for those of us who live in the real world and have a mortgage 30 Euros for an indifferent, samey meal is a rip off.

Offline Roy B

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Eating out is important to me and I agree that we have plenty of choice in Plakias. We will be there again in 2 weeks, visiting our favourite tavernas. Balcony, swimming pool ideally, wine, olives, music (headphones) and conversation - key elements before going out. Yes please.

But I recognise that not everyone, particularly families, can afford to eat out every evening. Each to their own. Enjoy Plakias.

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
Have to say that despite not living in the SE of England, I've never found the meals in Plakias expensive. Some are better than others, and it's not always the most expensive which are the best. Had a couple of beautiful lunches at Delfini in Souda which were around 15euros for two with drinks. And we have in the past cooked in the apartment from time to time.
'A Bar' in Plakias, however, charged me 15euros for 2 coffees and 2 Metaxas, which we bought the following in night in Costas Chrysoula for 9. Now THAT was a rip off. Went back once more to check it hadn't been a mistake on my or their part............ it wasn't. Hell of a price for a comfy seat!!

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
We are glad we are not staying at Morpheas... They have great views out to sea and are probably OK early in the season but they are right on the main road and must be very hot and noisy in July and August.
I don't agree.  I am a light sleeper, but the sounds coming from the main road have never bothered me.  And if it gets too hot, then there's always the air conditioning to nudge the temperature down to a more comfortable level.

Noopsy 
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline covboy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 06:21:41 AM »
Have to say that despite not living in the SE of England, I've never found the meals in Plakias expensive. Some are better than others, and it's not always the most expensive which are the best. Had a couple of beautiful lunches at Delfini in Souda which were around 15euros for two with drinks. And we have in the past cooked in the apartment from time to time.
'A Bar' in Plakias, however, charged me 15euros for 2 coffees and 2 Metaxas, which we bought the following in night in Costas Chrysoula for 9. Now THAT was a rip off. Went back once more to check it hadn't been a mistake on my or their part............ it wasn't. Hell of a price for a comfy seat!!

Thank you draper10 for the information about Delfini. We will try it out for lunch one day. But about Plakias being expensive.....

My wife went to one of the bars along the front with a friend and they were charged 12 Euros for two ice cream sundaes. As you say - Hell of a price for a comfy seat!!

Offline charliej

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 01:11:40 PM »
I'm coming out (I should rephrase that!) next Tuesday (16th) for two weeks. Staying at Irida week one and Skinos week two and both look and sound great! Last year I stayed at Thetis which I loved and Anna apartments (very modern and comfortable). I've also stayed in Kosta Chrysoulla which met my needs perfectly! Friends have stayed in a variety of places and generally the feedback is pretty good wherever you stay!

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »
Hi All
I am new to the forum but have been an avid reader for years and finally plucked up the courage to post!
We have been going to Plakias for at least 15 years, originally with Olympic staying in Costsa Chrysoula, but for at least the last 10 years we have gone under our own steam and  stay at HORIZON BEACH HOTEL just "round the corner" towards Souda
I can not rate it highly enough, the views are fantastic, the rooms are big and spotlessly clean and the breakfast is served on a beautiful garden terrace.
Just got back on 20th July and can't wait till next year!
Yamass

Offline thetravelor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »
good topic, I'm going next January so I am also looking for a nice hotel :)

Offline thetravelor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
see a lot of positive reactions about Stella! maybe trying that one next time ;)

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »
Re: Stella. I would be surprised if you weren't happy after staying there.

Markos and Evie are lovely people and great hosts.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
I will second that remark about Stella big time

John