Author Topic: 2011 price hike  (Read 12165 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2011 price hike
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Hope Olympic don't have problems - some of their late deals have been very good in the past.
Not only will a lot of members of this forum be agreeing with these sentiments, but the long-suffering accommodation and taverna owners in Plakias will as well. Although I have never availed myself of their late offers, I hear they can be very good as long as you only want to go for one week.

Mike

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
2011 price hike
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »
Yes, the price hikes are across the board to every destination from every package company. We have already booked with Olympic for the Costas again, did so in September last, and I won't annoy you by telling the price, suffice to say it was a lot lower than prices today, but we are paying the same for 1 week that we paid for 2 weeks in 2008! Prices are unbelievable! In 2009 we went to Lesvos, Petra, and loved it (but then I do love Ouzo) but , again prices have gone through the roof for that destimation this year (and last). In 2010 we went to Cuba, Cayo Guillermo, for 2 weeks, all inclusive, and the total cost was a a lot less than Plakias or Lesvos for 2 weeks, but we needed to see Plakias one last time before prices and travel insurance costs prices us out of any holidays.
Arriving 14th June for 1 week - how will we fit it all in? Sirocco for evenings, Livicon for drinks, Myrthios at least one evening, On The Rocks for drinks, Kyma for lunch Pitta souvlaki - the list of must do's is endless.
And yes, I have seen the reference to the new airline Strategic Airlines, and, according to that website they are operating in Europe.
Lets hope it all stays in bed and that we can get back to Plakias in June.

Offline fenman

• View Profile
2011 price hike
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »
Quote from: grahame
Olympic website now showing flights operated by Strategic Airlines.
They are an Australian company!
The plot thickens.
Grahame

Not good news if this quote taken from an airline pilots forum is true

"Just heard that Olympic have secured two aircraft from Strategic Airlines for their summer programme.

Strategic Airlines, isn't that the airline which had its French AOC revoked by the DGAC on safety grounds ? Seems the airline had a few Kelloggs cornflakes tokens left and traded them in for an AOC in Luxembourg. The French market is understandably up in arms and fails to understand how Luxembourg could possibly grant an AOC to Strategic, just weeks after the French CAA had revoked their French AOC."

Olympic obviously did find an airline that thought their rates were acceptable! "

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 price hike
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Wow - just caught up on lots of posts (I've been neglecting the site for a while). Have been trying to plan a long haul holidy for May but we're no closer to making a decision. I think I might sneak a Plakias option into the mix but looks like booking independently might be the best option. A few years back we managed to lose 13 hours when Olympic changed the flights in 2 stages. Hope Olympic don't have problems - some of their late deals have been very good in the past.

Has anybody else seen this  from Olympic ?

http://www.olympicholidays.com/information...m#axzz1ERFnv4cf

can't see anything for Plakias, but, have found this :-

starting 26th April to Doras.

Manchester     Heraklion  26-Apr-2011 10:45 16:30         Strategic Airlines STU3246
Heraklion     Manchester 10-May-2011 17:45 19:50         Strategic Airlines STU3247

2 weeks for  2 people  sharing                              £286  
 2 weeks for 1 person                                           £312

1 week   2 people    sharing                                £269        

1 week  1 person                                               £279

Anyone been that early? if so is anything open ?

Jann

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
2011 price hike
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
Quote from: grahame
Olympic website now showing flights operated by Strategic Airlines.
They are an Australian company!
The plot thickens.
Grahame

Flight times by Strategic airlines now showing as 0955 from Gatwick.
When you do a "dummy" booking no flight supplement is shown. On my invoice for the same flight on the same day, I'm paying £19 supplement! Do you think Olympic will refund this supplement (ha ha !)

Grahame

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
2011 price hike
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
Just a quick update on the Gatwick /Iraklion flight times from Olympic. We booked last september expecting the usual 09.00 Monarch flight, but, after a couple of false starts, it seems the Strategic Airlines flight is 11.25 departure, almost two and a half hours later, and I am concerned about arrival time in Plakias, given the extended transfers from Iraklion and the 'round the island' route. Then check in at Kostas, a shower would be nice, but will the bars and restaurants still be open I wonder?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 price hike
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Quote from: JBMouse
Just a quick update on the Gatwick /Iraklion flight times from Olympic. We booked last september expecting the usual 09.00 Monarch flight, but, after a couple of false starts, it seems the Strategic Airlines flight is 11.25 departure, almost two and a half hours later, and I am concerned about arrival time in Plakias, given the extended transfers from Iraklion and the 'round the island' route. Then check in at Kostas, a shower would be nice, but will the bars and restaurants still be open I wonder?
Interesting. I checked my booking online at Olympic and this shows my flight as STU2250 (Strategic?), departing Gatwick at 09.55, arriving Heraklion at 15.50.

From memory the 9am flight used to result in arrival in Plakias at around 6.30pm so I would have thought that a 11.25 departure would still arrive in time for a first meal, albeit a little later than my usual eating time.

For me personally, a 11.25 departure would allow me to travel to the airport by train rather than pay the exorbitant prices for airport parking.

Mike

ps. Olympic seem to be using Easyjet now for some of their packages.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:02:51 PM by Mike G »