login

Author Topic: Beaches around Plakias  (Read 4246 times)

Offline nora

• View Profile
Beaches around Plakias
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »
Hello All - holiday is getting closer - now only 2 weeks away. On hearing the reports about strong winds - I imagine we could be doing quite a bit of walking using the Lance Chilton book. Souda Bay sounds a good sheltered beach - are there any others which would be sheltered when Plakias beach is windy? I do feel uncomfortable on totally nudist beaches, as I won't strip off, so beaches with either a mix or fully textile would be ideal. Also can anyone recommend a beach taverna in walking distance that does fresh calamari for lunch?
thanks
Nora x

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
Re: Beaches around Plakias
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »
Souda can be even worse than Plakias. The sand in Plakias is finer so it does not hurt so bad.

Have a nice time in Plakias
Greetings Steven.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
The obvious choice is Micro Amoudi. It's still suffers the same wind as Plakias but it is more sheltered. Its only problem is that it's at least half an hour's walk away and, if the weather turns inclement (which it can in late September/early October) it's a long walk in the rain. If you have a car it won't be a problem and also, if the weather's set fair, it won't be a problem. It's a great beach with plenty of beds and umbrellas and a bar where you can buy coffee, soft drinks and beers.

You'll find most people are nude and it's a small beach. However, nobody give a hoot whether you're clothed or nude so just go there and feel comfortable in yourself.

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »
Thanks Bertie - i'll give that a go. Long range weather forecast looks promising........

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
Probably not the calamari but between Plakias & Souda there is a very nice, quiet taverna with snacks (Creta Spirit) and below there is a small sheltered cove with excellent swimming. However no sand if that is a must but comfortable shingle.
Stuart

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »
Thanks Stuart - I've just found a picture of the cove on the  creta spirit website - looks gorgeous - will definately check it out when we are there. Only 6 more working days to go now!

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
I hope you enjoy it Nora. We have had many lunch time snacks there, enjoying the stunning view and absorbing the calm & quiet. Maria & Theo are lovely hosts and have an abundance of local information. We will be staying there early October.
Stuart