login

Author Topic: Car rental at Heraklion Airport  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Car rental at Heraklion Airport
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »
Hi,
We are having 8 days in Crete in early May. Arriving with  Easyjet in Heraklion. We want to hire a car to come to Asomatos to stay with our friends for 4 days then travel to explore the northeast of the island (unknown area for us) until we fly out again from Heraklion.
Any recommendations for car hire companies or indeed any firms to avoid.

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Car rental at Heraklion Airport
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »
Hi Tony,

We have used The Best Car Rentals for the last 3 years and have had very good service from them.  Websites are www.car-hire-crete.com or www.thebestcars.gr.  In the past, we also used Just Rental Center (www.justrentals.gr/) and were equally pleased.  It is worth comparing prices with both companies.  Enjoy your week in Crete!

Hugo

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
We've been hiring cars for our 2 week holidays for the last few years. With Olympic transfers being a nightmare, we were taking taxis. Add the cost of two airport to Plakias journeys and it's not a lot less than 2 week car hire. Having the car available makes it easy to pop up to Sellia for dinner, or nip up to Reythimno for a night out.
I usually book a few weeks before departure, and use either Holiday Autos or Rentalcars. Both are UK based, and have arrangements with various local firms so they can offer a selection and competitive prices. Last year we paid about £240 for a Golf - collected and returned to Heraklion Airport.
Prices do vary day to day, so it's worth watching the different sites.
I do check most years, but sadly I usually find that the UK sites are cheaper than using the local ones.

Having said that, if you don't intend leaving the resort, give Zak a ring for taxi transfers. Oh! - don't forget to let the reps know that you're making your own way to the resort, as otherwise they be looking for you at the airport and holding everyone else up.
John - Ostraco

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »
Thanks Hugo and John,
John we are traveling independent. We stay with friends in Asomatos so use the car to get to the beach daily (saves troubling them to run us around) and to get to tavernas in the evening. we have hired in Plakias in the past if Kathy and Brian have collected us from the airport but we don't want to drag them out this time especially as we plan to explore a bit at the end of our break.

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
We have used autoway for several years now and they are brilliant .

http://www.autoway.gr/

Ask for JanIs and mention my name (John Rayworth). Their insurance covers everything 100% and though you might not be popular you can return the car bent with zero charge. Their cars are good and I think their prices reflect their quality service. For us who they know, they leave the car keys at the kiosk of the airport rental car park for me to pick up and they trust me to pay them sometime, somehow - while on the island - which I do - though sometimes in advance via bank transfer. I return the car to airport, hand keys in at kiosk, and many years never even see an autoway employee.

Absolutely zero hassle

They have my driving licence details on record so they make out the hire document in advance leaving it in the car for me.

John