login

Author Topic: The Panagia  (Read 4256 times)

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The Panagia
« on: July 21, 2004, 02:32:02 PM »
Hello there guys,
      Just thinking about one of  my favourite celebrations in Greece; the Assumption of the Virgin Mary   (  or Panagia in Greek )  is there still a celebration held in Plakias on August 15th?
                                    Fraoula

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Panagia
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 10:22:34 AM »
Hello there guys,
      Just thinking about one of  my favourite celebrations in Greece; the Assumption of the Virgin Mary   (  or Panagia in Greek )  is there still a celebration held in Plakias on August 15th?
                                    Fraoula
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fraoula,
we have been in Plakias the last two years over this period, admit have not seen any specific celebrations, though one or two of the Tavernas have laid on some live music. Also noticed that the menu boards tend to revert to Greek, over this period as not surpsisingly a lot of locals are in Town - which is nice.
Know that Taverna Galini (Souda Bay) usually has a Bouzouki player in for the night, though we've never been able to get a table.
Won't be there this time this year as were not going out till the 17th - can't wait !!!

Cheers
Pritch

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Panagia
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 01:12:27 PM »
Thanks Pritch for replying!  When I worked in Plakias in '99 they held a mini concert outside what was then the 'Underground' bar  (doesn't matter where you go you can never escape London!!   ) anyway I thought it was great, Hundreds of Greeks packed the square that night with another celebration up in Selia after the main Plakias one had finished- it was an all night goer!!  
 Another question though, is the cliffside near Selia  still lit up at night?

Offline xamax

• ICQ Messenger - 113247388
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Panagia
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:32:12 PM »
Hello,
last year there was the big fest in Sellia.
The church of Sellia is still with light in the night.
Bye.
Thanks Pritch for replying!  When I worked in Plakias in '99 they held a mini concert outside what was then the 'Underground' bar  (doesn't matter where you go you can never escape London!!   ) anyway I thought it was great, Hundreds of Greeks packed the square that night with another celebration up in Selia after the main Plakias one had finished- it was an all night goer!!  
 Another question though, is the cliffside near Selia  still lit up at night?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:33:35 PM by xamax »

Offline LoukaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
The Panagia
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 07:01:19 PM »
Last year at the end of September there was a feast in the centre of Plakias.

They told us it was "tourism day".

There were a lot of Greeks in town (in the appartments & hotels) and there were greek dances and music in front of the Kri-Kri.

The whole parking space was taken over by tables and chairs.

This went together with (I think) a free BBQ.

We did not come for the BBQ but I can tell you that due to the amount of Greeks there was no chance of sitting down, eating or getting near to the dancers....

Perhaps if you come early or book at the Kri-Kri you would have a better vieuw.

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
The Panagia
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 11:33:39 PM »
Last year at the end of September there was a feast in the centre of Plakias.

They told us it was "tourism day".

There were a lot of Greeks in town (in the appartments & hotels) and there were greek dances and music in front of the Kri-Kri.

The whole parking space was taken over by tables and chairs.

This went together with (I think) a free BBQ.

We did not come for the BBQ but I can tell you that due to the amount of Greeks there was no chance of sitting down, eating or getting near to the dancers....

Perhaps if you come early or book at the Kri-Kri you would have a better vieuw.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If I am correct the feast you mention is run by the Greek equivalent of the young wives who provide the BBQ (which is free) to any one. It is run every year and is very popular hence all the Greek people there but is open to all. In fact it has been known for frequently returning visitors to be presented with a medal.
Dotty

Offline Caroline

• View Profile
    • Email
The Panagia
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »
We haven't been in Plakias as late as September, but enjoyed a totally unexpected evening at the end of June. It was obviously a local event, and chairs were set out in the main square (in front of the Kri Kri). There was music and the local children were dressed up in Greek dress, and did some dancing, which was great. They had obviously done a lot of practicing and took the whole thing really seriously.

There were English and German speakers who explained what was happening over the erratic PA system, although we couldn't hear everything. It seemed that people put a personal possession inside a container that had been paraded through the town earlier in the day, and as each possession was drawn out in the evening, a rhyme was read out about that person - and they had to collect their possession and return to their seat - jumping over a fire lit in the middle of the road on the way! Apparently in the days of smaller villages (and I guess, fewer tourists/visitors), these rhymes and songs could go on all night, were full of "in" jokes and caused all sorts of hilarity!

At the end of the evening, drinks of raki were given to everyone, and sweet bread/cake was also passed round. It was a great evening and everyone seemed to enjoy it. It certainly made us feel part of a community that we're very fond of - even though we're not there long enough to get involved. I think it was organised by the local women's group.

Very jealous of all the people who have their holiday still to come - we had a great week in June, but it seems a long time ago now.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Panagia
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »
Sounds terrific Caroline - we've never had the pleasure of joining in a traditional local event - We always take our holiday early September (29 days and counting  ) so we always miss the feast days.