Author Topic: Just Returned  (Read 8960 times)

Offline thetravelor

• View Profile
Re: Just Returned
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
I'm jealous, I have to wait till January!

Offline We live in Plakias

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
As regards the slightly unfavourable comments posted I would point out the following. I have worked in the holiday business. In April one is raring to go and every tourist is smiled at and made to feel welcome. But in October, after having worked non-stop for six months, one is tired and grumpy and can't wait for the end of the season to come and the tourists to leave. That is the downside of coming late in the season. The service may be poor and the waiters bad tempered.

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
As regards the slightly unfavourable comments posted I would point out the following. I have worked in the holiday business. In April one is raring to go and every tourist is smiled at and made to feel welcome. But in October, after having worked non-stop for six months, one is tired and grumpy and can't wait for the end of the season to come and the tourists to leave. That is the downside of coming late in the season. The service may be poor and the waiters bad tempered.

So the tired and grumpy time towards tourists is October which must come on all of a sudden then ?
Glad my wife and i went in September and only experienced one miserable waitress in one taverna ( not Greek ) which we then avoided.
Oh, we enjoyed Plakias that much we are booking again next year, in September !! 

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
We travel to Greece every October and really have never witnessed this in any great way. The only one occasion that sticks out was on the very last day of the season when the reps just looked done in and sick of the sight of us. None of the locals ever seem to be bothered by this though - at least not that I have witnessed.
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 03:33:32 PM »
   'We live in Plakias' ?

Massage?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 04:34:46 PM »
   'We live in Plakias' ?

Massage?

Barny.
Lovely place to live, we might one day !

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
For those of you wanting to know what the very end of the season is like, here is my report.

We came back on Tuesday from a lovely, peaceful holiday in Plakias.  The weather was beautiful, unseasonably so, temperatures in the low 20’s with mostly clear skies and light winds, apart from a couple of windy days, one of which we had booked ourselves on a trip.  From the previous comments about September and October being the new high season, I was expecting a few more people around!  There were probably around 50 holidaymakers in Plakias.  We arrived at about 10.45pm and immediately went out to try to get something to eat.  Fortunately the Souvlaki House was still open, as were the supermarkets.   Most of the tavernas were in darkness, making us wonder if they had all closed down for season.  The next day we discovered that most of them were open, just that they closed once everyone had left for the evening.  The latest you could go out to eat was 8pm, but by then the weather was quite chilly anyway, and you wanted to be sitting in a taverna.  We were told it has been a very good year for the businesses in Plakias, which is really good news.

Antoni's, Christos, Harakas and Paligremnos (taverna and beach bar, but not apartments) closed up before or whilst we were there.  Argo opened up later than in the summer and closed in the evenings.  To Kyma and Livikon were both almost empty most of the time. The Youth Hostel closes at the end of October. The sunbeds and umbrellas drastically reduced at the Far End, Paligremnos and On the Rocks beach – there were only a handful of people using the sunbeds on the whole length of the beach.   Our habit from the hot August weather is to go down to the beach early in the morning, but we got a bit caught out, as most of the Far End was in the shadow of the cliff when we got there!  We set off a bit later after that, to give it a chance to warm up.

Everyone was really friendly, with greetings and discussions about the exceptional weather, even from people in the tavernas we had never used.  There was only one taverna where the service was  not quite as friendly as previously, but it was okay.  I think it might have closed for the season the next day, but it was not one that we walked past regularly, so I did not see.

The last weekend was a holiday weekend, with Oxi Day falling on the Monday. The village was lively during the day on the Sunday and Monday.

We saw Les the Olympic rep off onto his bus for the airport in the morning, and once the Newcastle bus had left at 1.30, we felt like the last survivors!  As we were the only ones for our flight we had a taxi transfer at 6.00pm.  The airport was chaos.  We were on Thomas Cook, but the reps were “off duty” and returning on the flight.  A Monarch plane to Gatwick had to return its passengers to the terminal because its air conditioning had broken down.  There was nowhere to sit.  I used the ambulift because I was travelling with a wheelchair and got delivered to the wrong Thomas Cook plane.  Fortunately I asked, as no-one else seemed to have checked.

The trip we went on was with Elena Travel, on Kosta Chrysoulla street – she deserves a mention.  She has a 9 seat minibus and runs various trips.  At 40 Euros per person it is not cheap, but something we thought was worth spending our money on.  We went to the Kourtaliotis Gorge to look at the waterfall coming out of the rocks,  Lake Kournas, which at that time of year was very quiet and peaceful, a carob factory (we thought we would see the manufacturing process, but it was a sales pitch in the shop), Argiroupolis, where the springs come down the hillside and have been turned into fountains and other water features (I can imagine it would be relatively cool in the summer but very busy), Lappa, the ancient capital of Crete, and back through the Kotsifou Gorge. There were only 5 of us on the trip apart from “Elena” our driver/guide.

Daza, sorry we did not see off - we were still at the beach when you left I think.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:28:57 PM by Arnaki »

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »
Thank you for such an interesting & useful report.
We are glad you had good weather & still able to enjoy your early morning swim.
Hope you managed to have one or two beers for us aswell!!!!
Roll on Plakias 2014.......hope to see you again then.
Happy winter.