login

Author Topic: XL airways  (Read 23301 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 07:19:20 AM »
Quote from: Peter&Dawn
I see XL airways have gone into administration this morning.
I hope all those affected can get alternative flights sorted out quickly.

One outcome is that flights into Crete next year are likely to be more expensive.

I have managed to get flights for our party with Easyjet. Cost me a LOT but the only compensation is that my XL flights were free with Tesco Tokens. As soon as I heard the news (lying in bed) this morning I leapt to my computer and made the booking.

John R

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 10:42:07 AM »
We were watching the news last night with a feeling of dread for those involved.

I thought you were with XL John, glad you have made alternative arrangements.

Unfortunately some friends of ours were due to fly this evening and won't make it.

Nick and Mary, I know you read the forum. We are so sorry about what has happened and will miss seeing you (and Lyn & Peter) in Plakias
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:43:16 AM by Ploppy »

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »

One outcome is that flights into Crete next year are likely to be more expensive.

We were going to florida in december with xl because we always use them to Crete, Last night I was suppose to send my final payment of £2200 and forgot, how lucky is that I was sick this morning when it came on the tv, I have already sent a couple of hundred but that is covered on my credit card and also through ATLO with travel city direct. I am now very weary who to book with even if its left to the last minute it could still go wrong. Alex  
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »

Didn't George travel out on XL? Hope he gets sorted out OK.

I have been watching the situation since Barclays declined to extend their facilities for XL. Managed to book an Olympic holiday with cheapo room in Malia starting next Friday. We will just tell the guide we are not using the accommodation and drive down to Plakias. Red eye flights with Monarch - ho hum.

Flights with Sleazyjet were over 400 pounds more expensive than the package holiday    They couldn't be taking advantage could they?  

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
XL airways
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »
Quote from: Mike from Sussex

I have been watching the situation since Barclays declined to extend their facilities for XL. Managed to book an Olympic holiday with cheapo room in Malia starting next Friday. We will just tell the guide we are not using the accommodation and drive down to Plakias. Red eye flights with Monarch - ho hum.

Flights with Sleazyjet were over 400 pounds more expensive than the package holiday    They couldn't be taking advantage could they?

I've had a narrow escape - as an independent traveller I've used xl.com for flights to crete for last 4 or 5 years and had it not been for a 50th birthday trip to USA this year I'd have been caught up too for sure.  As it is I'll need to claim the flight booked for next June back on my credit card.  Thoughts go to all those who are affected.  

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 12:53:14 PM »
Oh to be stranded in Crete !!
But feel so sorry for those who have waited to go today.
                       Barny.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:05:58 PM by Barny »
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
Fingers crossed for those who are affected, hope they dont suffer too much distress and anguish  
I'm sure we will all agree with these sentiments re XL. I'm sure many contributors to this forum are currently in Plakias, having flown with XL, or had hoped to go during the remainder of the season. A few things spring to mind:

1. There has been much discussion on the forum about independent vs. tour operator. One advantage of the latter is the ATOL protection which should see those flying with the XL airline on a package brought home by the CAA. The CAA will also pay for any extra accommodation. Independents probably will have to make their own arrangements and as someone else has said, other airlines may take the opportunity to milk a captive market.

2. The BBC said today that customers who had paid with a Visa debit card had the same protection as those who used a credit card. Barclays have told me that although Visa does provide some protection, in no way does it match CC protection. I have no means of verifying this and would be interested to hear what others think. If I ever book independently I'll be sure to use a CC, even if I do have to pay a supplement.

3. Travel insurance may cover losses but most policies have a significant policy excess these days.

4. I have booked a 2009 package holiday with Manos, the flight component of which was to be provided by XL. Manos E-Mailed me yesterday (before the news broke) that the Manos website was now subsumed into the Thomas Cook one, as part of the integration of the My Travel group into TC. Out of interest I checked whether the holiday I had booked was still available and found that the same Manos holiday was using another airline which departed on a different day of the week. It sounds as if TC knew something others didn't.

5. Kosmar (part of XL for a year or two) may be sold as a going concern. If not, think of the effect on a place like Paleohora, in some ways a Plakias-like resort just along the coast. Kosmar is the only UK tour operator featuring it I think. It will have a devastating effect on Paleohora, far worse than the effect First Choice pulling out of Plakias had.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 09:42:47 AM by Mike G »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »

I think they will simply be operating the "price increases as plane fills up principle" which is how they always operate.

I booked today at 07:15am

Did a dummy booking (for 3 of us) at 2pm today and it would have cost me another £400. So my 7am panic saved me £400 !!

Done a lot of flying with easyjet recently - many internal flights and to Venice this year and find them very good. Hope they continue to be good for our Crete flights !!

John R

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »
Just arrived with EasyJet. 2 hours late leaving due to air traffic delay followed by thunderstorm at Gatwick. Flight though was fine. We also flew with then in July and they were good, plenty of legroom.

In taxi now looking forward to a Mythos or two before bed!

I hope all those affected manage to either make alternative travel or have an equally fab time elsewhere if possible.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 08:53:47 AM »
Quote from: Graeme
I heard yesterday that the first the aircraft crews heard about it was via text from other crew members. I know its heart wrenching to lose ones holidays but a lot of folk are losing their jobs and now it seems the apartment owners themselves are affected

The only consolation - if it can be called that - is that the collapse has happened towards the end of the season. Hopefully that will mean that the local tourist businesses may have limited losses this season and hopefully pick up custom from elsewhere next season. I had to make minor adjustments to my car hire as a result and my car hire operator said "We hear about this very big proplem,its terible!"

I'll bet that Ali is now glad she is not a Kosmar rep this season !!

John R

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
XL airways
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »

Today I found an article in our news paper about XL Airways. I read more than 80.000 tourists are stranded in several countries all over the world.
I believe it will be very difficult to find flights for some many people. I also read more than 200.000 people are affected by this crash. It concerns
all these people which were booked on XL Airways during the next weeks.

I think it is necessary to have an insurance against such damages. It is one way to get the money back.

On the other side you have a booked accomodation but no flights and than it is very difficult to find suitable flights. I tried a dummy booking
but I could not find any flights from Leipzig to Heraklion within the next 2 weeks.

By the way...  I hope nothing will happens with our flights to Gran Canaria next week because I am looking forward to our holiday.

Kerstin

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 09:06:29 PM »
Three weeks ago I flew out (with XL) to Mykonos for an island-hopping trip around the Cyclades. It almost all went to plan until yesterday when I was due to fly home, direct from Mykonos to Manchester. When I surfaced I was greeted by the news that my hosts had seen on the TV. They were very helpful and took me to the airport where there was very little information, other than that as I had booked direct with XL, ATOL would not arrange to get me home. So I went back to their house and used their computer to book an Olympic flight from Athens to Heathrow. I then had to get a boat to Rafina (for Athens) and, after arrival at Heathrow, travelled home by train arriving at 03:30 this morning. I am hoping to claim this on my insurance (minus the excess) as I have cover for scheduled airline failure.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »
Quote from: Kerstin
I think it is necessary to have an insurance against such damages. It is one way to get the money back.

This insurance company is setting up a scheme where for £5 per person they will insure you for £2000 for the cost of getting home if your airline goes bust while you are away :-

http://www.protectmyholiday.com

John R
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:51:19 AM by John R »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 08:57:39 AM »
Quote from: Kerstin
On the other side you have a booked accommodation but no flights and than it is very difficult to find suitable flights. I tried a dummy booking
but I could not find any flights from Leipzig to Heraklion within the next 2 weeks.

Kerstin

I successfully rebooked at 7am - only 4 hours after they went bust and secured alternative flights (fairly costly)

4 hours later the cost had gone up by another £400

In another 4 hours - no flights available.

John R

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »

George did travel with XL, (booked directly with XL over the internet).
I text him very early Friday morning but as yet have not heard back.
If he doesn't arrive in the office on Wednesday morning I will assume he is still in Crete.

His flight out was 7 hours late, so this could well be a holiday to forget.