Author Topic: XL airways  (Read 23309 times)

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
XL airways
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »
I too phoned XL today.  Tickets with 15kg allowance have been sent to me but they will reissue at 20kg.  Seems to be that they will try and get away with the 15kg allowance if they can, but change it on the customer's demand if the booking was on the old basis.

So worth a phone call (I'd only a couple of minutes to wait).

Ian

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
Quote from: John R
Fair enough yes - except for the many people on many flights who do not have your perseverance or realisation to make that phone call.

John R

there will be quite a lot who will just accept it, that's for sure

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 09:35:27 PM »
Quote from: ian s
I too phoned XL today.  Tickets with 15kg allowance have been sent to me but they will reissue at 20kg.  Seems to be that they will try and get away with the 15kg allowance if they can, but change it on the customer's demand if the booking was on the old basis.

Ian

I usually weigh in at around 12kg  - down side is that my hand luggage has lots of heavy stuff in it  and I'm wearing more clothes than I would normally
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:36:13 PM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 11:05:59 AM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen

Ian

I usually weigh in at around 12kg  - down side is that my hand luggage has lots of heavy stuff in it  and I'm wearing more clothes than I would normally
Got the ok today for 20k as it was booked before January.  Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
i got my tickets tonight for manchester/chania tonight

i was disgusted to see that XL has reduced the baggage allowance to 15 kilos and now what to charge you £7.50 per person per  journey for an additional 5 kilos, with the threat of £22.50 charge at the airport if you don't pre-buy the allowance

We have just got back from a week in Fuerteventura. Going out the cases were just over 31 kilos and a bit over 33 coming back. Lord help us for a two weeker! Luckily I booked our XL tickets for this September as soon as Kosmar pulled out, but I will not be surprised if 15 kilos is the universal allowance by 2009.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
XL airways
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G

Ian

Good news Alex, that's Fran's smalls taken care of!

see you

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 03:08:37 PM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G

Ian

Good news Alex, that's Fran's smalls taken care of!

see you
Fran said you better make yourself scarce when we get to Plakias   Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »
I have two flights booked to Greece this year, both with a 15 kg limit. As I usually travel light, I thought this wouldn't be a problem. However, this thread has got me worried, so I have just thrown some stuff (including a pile of books) into my case and weighed it - 12 kg. So I think I should be OK. For me, the extra charge for people with extra luggage is better as I am not paying for something I am not using.

Greecemad
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:26:30 PM by Greecemad »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
the extra charge for people with extra luggage is better as I am not paying for something I am not using.

Greecemad

i am struggling with the logic there

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
the extra charge for people with extra luggage is better as I am not paying for something I am not using.

Greecemad

i am struggling with the logic there

What I mean is that there is an extra charge for taking an extra 5 kg of luggage. If this extra charge was included in the basic ticket price, everyone would have to pay the nigher price regardless of whether they were taking 15 kg or 20 kg. So someone like me who takes less than 15 kg would have to pay more.

It's similar to what has happened to transfers. The transfer coach used to be included in the basic price, so anyone who hired a car and drove themselves had to pay for the coach transfer even though they weren't using it.

Is my logic understandable now?

Greecemad

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 07:07:40 PM »
i think you're missing the point, no one is taking extra luggage, we've been used to a 20 kilo allowance for as long as i can remember

the allowance has been reduced, we're having to pay for what we've taken as being normal

ah well if you're "OK" with it, fine...........

Offline LenG

• View Profile
XL airways
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »
i think you're missing the point, no one is taking extra luggage, we've been used to a 20 kilo allowance for as long as i can remember

the allowance has been reduced, we're having to pay for what we've taken as being normal

It's all about the little margins where the airliners in operate i think.

Perhaps the next step is not the luggage but yourself. 'Sir, you are 78kg, thats 5 kg less than the average. You receive 10euro.  '

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
XL airways
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 06:44:33 PM »
Quote from: LenG

Perhaps the next step is not the luggage but yourself. 'Sir, you are 78kg, thats 5 kg less than the average. You receive 10euro.  '

What an idea!  

Until now the German airlines accept 20 kilo for each person. In May we had 3 kilogrammes more and we had no problems at our airport
and as we left Heraklion we had 6 kilogrammes more (due to the honey, the wine, the metaxa and so on). The woman at the counter said:
You have to much luggage! We did not react on their words. I said we have reserved seats and I handed over our reservation and she had a lot to do
to find our names/our reservation. The result: we could go without paying for our additional luggage.
We will see what will happen when we go to Spain in September.

Offline Doggie

• View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »
Despite taking lightweight clothing, we were both well over the XL Airways baggage allowance including the extra 5 kilos I paid for for Maree (and even more so when we flew back) but noone at Glasgow nor at Heraklion was bothered. That may change of course but the weight limits were not being imposed.

On another XL topic, I paid £ 74.00 for extra legroom seats and had no problem on the way out but the idiot at Heraklion allocated normal seats at the check in for the return journey despite my asking for assurances! So once on board there was much seat shifting of passengers in seats with extra legroom but not paid for. The cabin crew did sort it bless 'em but it should not have happened in the first place.

doggie

Quote from: Kerstin
Quote from: LenG

What an idea!  

Until now the German airlines accept 20 kilo for each person. In May we had 3 kilogrammes more and we had no problems at our airport
and as we left Heraklion we had 6 kilogrammes more (due to the honey, the wine, the metaxa and so on). The woman at the counter said:
You have to much luggage! We did not react on their words. I said we have reserved seats and I handed over our reservation and she had a lot to do
to find our names/our reservation. The result: we could go without paying for our additional luggage.
We will see what will happen when we go to Spain in September.

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 07:07:45 AM »
I see XL airways have gone into administration this morning.
I hope all those affected can get alternative flights sorted out quickly.

One outcome is that flights into Crete next year are likely to be more expensive.