Author Topic: Buying/Cooking Food in Plakias  (Read 18125 times)

Offline holiday girl

• View Profile
    • http://
Buying/Cooking Food in Plakias
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2005, 04:06:51 PM »
Like you I'm a big fan of Guinness, but when in Town I stick to the Mythos.
No idea about the whatchamacallit or how much it is, but I would hazard a guess that it's not cheap!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2932\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think it's called a widget and it injects nitrogen into the beer, not that that helps you find any. How much would a can be in Seattle, Jeff? My guess is that it will be a similar price in a Plakias supermarket to a UK supermarket.

I have seen the draught version in some bars in Greece so if you don't find it in Plakias (as has been reported) then if you make a visit to Rethymnon or Hania I'm sure it will be there.

The Greek beers seem to go with the ambience of the Greek Islands, even though I don't drink lager in the UK, and I think you will find they are better than US beers such as Budweiser (US version not the Czech) or Miller Light. As you mention Seattle microbreweries it may be that you are into real ale- if so all I can say is "Good Man"; give the UK a try sometime.

Why not try the local drinks such as retsina, raki, ouzo, or the excellent local red wine. Go easy on the raki and ouzo as in my opinion they have a high potential for giving a hangover!!

Whatever you end up drinking my bet is that you will enjoy it in Plakias.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2934\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I was in rethymmnon in 2003 and ther was a guiness bar in amongst the shops.  Unfortunately for the guys we were there on a sunday when its shut.
holiday girl

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 12:46:48 PM »
I have never experienced what Harribobs reports and don't really understand what it could be. Was this in a bottle or "draught"?

it was 'draught' if you like, from a plastic barrel, local wine with (i suspect) added eythol alcohol :'(

we were there on a sunday when its shut

shut on a sunday!!! OMG!

Offline Jeff Winchell

• View Profile
    • http://winchell.org
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2005, 06:41:34 PM »
Despite all the microbreweries in and around Seattle, my favorite beer is Guinness. Is that available in Plakias, and if so, where might I find myself spending a lot of time sipping some?

I don't know of any bars/restuarants in Plakias that serve Guinness but I have seen it in several supermarkets in the area, sold in cans.

george g...

I've been here two weeks, found SEVEN supermarkets (though they're all so small I'd call them a mini-market in The States, and have found NO Guinness. Fortunately Filip (the DJ at Joe's bar) found some for me during one of his shopping trips to Rethymnon.

BTW, the best place for fresh vegetables/fruits is easily the stand next to the market at the east end of town (behind Meltemi's). Organic tomatos, sweet yellow peppers, very yummy (and non-moldy) strawberries, etc.

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »
Speaking personally having a 'good un' on the Raki is fine, as its clear it rarely leaves you with a bad head. It does do , when half a gallon of Mythos and a few Restinas have preceeded it though !!!
Agree with you guys though, I tend to stick to the Mythos, its cold, it tastes good, its local and doesn't blow you out, especially draught.
Am a great believer in drinking local products as if you do find something 'from home' it never tastes the same anyway.
Can you imagine sitting at a Tav on a hot balmy evening supping a pint of hand pulled English finest......?
Don't think that would work.
Stick to the local stuff, you wont go wrong.

Neil
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3056\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 09:50:19 PM »
Hi Neil, I must agree with you regarding Raki on my last night in Plakias at the Alianthos Beach I was given 25 Raki,s from the manager and all the other customers on the alianthos Greek night I was fine the next morning until I had breakfast I thought I was going to die especially with a 2 hour bus journey but I am sure I have,nt learnt my lesson as I will find out in 3 weeks .regards Alex G :'(
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.