login

Author Topic: Still hoping to make it this year!  (Read 8993 times)

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Re: Still hoping to make it this year!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
Fingers still crossed here for early September. I'm fully stocked with masks, sanitiser and wipes.
I must admit though that I watch the UK news every night afraid that it's conditions here that will ultimately stop me from getting to Plakias this year.
John - Ostraco

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »
Like yourself got all the gear ready for 8th October and my only worry is that some idiots here will mess things up for us.

Offline Peter G

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 02:05:02 PM »
Just been reading up to date info on TripAdvisor Plakias forum from people who live there. It sounds as though things are quickly getting back to normal, most tavernas now open with staff wearing masks etc. I've been in touch with KostasX who are all well and hoping we can make it back in September.
As Ostraco says our main problem may be here in UK if further lockdowns happen. Still too many people who think that rules/advice only applies to others.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »
Sad but true Peter.
I live in Plymouth - local newspapers today report full beaches, drunks and stabbings in the street and a general deterioration of behaviour since lock down was eased. This is happening all over the country.
Foreign governments must be looking at what's going on in the UK and wondering if it's sensible to let Brits in. Whilst I would be very upset if this resulted in us being refused entry to Greece, I would certainly understand why!
John - Ostraco

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 04:40:13 PM »
According to the Telegraph today Greece is contemplating a second lock-down...as tourists have brought a spike of new cases.The increase in positives is up to the level of April 23rd...60 new cases a day. Can't say I blame them.

Offline fdwplakiatorix

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 08:19:26 PM »
Yes, we do and we are booked at the beginning of September and flying in from Hamburg via Munich directly to Her. Our flights are firmly confirmed by LH.  Hope you w`ll be lucky as well. Staying at Livikon.
Plakiatorix

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 01:52:29 AM »
The full beaches, drunks and stabbings in the street are probably normal for this time of year, wouldn't make the press at all under normal circumstances, trouble is these are not normal circumstances, and the behaviour is in the spotlight. People elsewhere - the Greeks here - will see it and think, rightly, to my mind, not letting those idiots in.

I'm booked for Aug 27th and Oct 6th, I was feeling quite hopeful,. but now...

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »
I can't agree Richard. Levels of 'bad behaviour' post lockdown are much higher than usual for this time of year. To be fair, I think it's a reaction to the heavy restrictions and closures which were in place, and hope it will calm down over the next few weeks.

But living in an area which has had a very low rate of infection compared to the rest of the country, I do worry about what will happen when we get an influx of 'grockles'. I know we need holidaymakers to support the local economy. We need their cash in the south-west, but what else will they bring with them?
John - Ostraco

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 08:23:54 PM »
Copied from the 'Keep Talking Greece' website:

The first direct flight from UK landed at Ioannis Kapodistrias airport on the island of Corfu at 2 o’ clock Wednesday afternoon. To honor the first UK landing after the pandemic lockdown, two fire service vehicles formed a welcome water arch.

The only scheduled flight for Wednesday was from Birmingham with about 90 passengers on board. Two more flights from East Midlands and Machester are scheduled to land on Corfu on Thursday.

According to state-run news agency amna, the British tourists were tested on Covid-19 based on the risk indications obtained form the special barcode QR which they received after they completed the Passenger Locator Form (PLF) before their check-in.

A total of 52 flights from UK onboard are scheduled to land at several airports Wednesday and Thursday, including Zakynthos, Crete, Rhodes and Athens.

It is estimated that COVID-19 tests will be carried out to 6,000 British tourists on Wednesday, reports daily ethnos, adding that the rate of positive tests will determine if the borders will remain open to UK. The same was reported by Alpha TV.

The daily notes that according to Greece’s plan almost all tourists arriving in Greece will be checked and if the number (and percentage) of those who are found positive is low, that is limited to less than 30-40 cases, the Greece will remain open to the UK’s tourism market.

“However, if things turn out differently and the confirmed cases are much higher, then the government is determined to close the border again, considering that the cost of the risk of coronavirus spread is far more important than any benefits from the tourism, in a year that is considered a a lost tourism year and with a fairly reduced turnover, ethnos reports.
John - Ostraco

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 12:50:16 AM »
I was being slightly tongue in cheek, it's unsurprising that letting people off the leash after months cooped up results in this sort of thing. It is true, though, that any bad behaviour will be under the spotlight now, whereas it likely wouldn't receive the same amount of attention or have the same effect on opinions under different circumstances.

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 09:44:05 AM »
I can't agree Richard. Levels of 'bad behaviour' post lockdown are much higher than usual for this time of year. To be fair, I think it's a reaction to the heavy restrictions and closures which were in place, and hope it will calm down over the next few weeks.

But living in an area which has had a very low rate of infection compared to the rest of the country, I do worry about what will happen when we get an influx of 'grockles'. I know we need holidaymakers to support the local economy. We need their cash in the south-west, but what else will they bring with them?

I'm insulted by the term 'Grockle' it a word that should be banned, I'm going to start a new movement - the G.N.H.T. +, .........The 'Grockles Need Holidays Too' movement, we'll come down there and throw you locals into the dock.

LOL, seriously where will it all end?

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »
I'll be a member.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 10:03:15 AM »
I'm amused by "Grockle". Most holiday areas have a derogatory name for their visitors "Emmets" in Cornwall, ect. Do the Cretans have one for us or does filoxenia preclude it?

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »
From the way we are greeted each year in all parts of Greece that we are lucky enough to get to, Filoxenia trumps everything, especialy if you return their greetings with a warm smile and a few words of Greek.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »
We have had a marvellously relaxing week in Plakias, and received a very warm welcome everywhere. The break (booked at last minute) has done us no end of good and boosted our physical and mental wellbeing. We are just sorry it wasn't a fortnight, and don't really want to return to lockdown Manchester tomorrow. There are very few British holidaymakers at the moment, and most of the voices you hear around are Greek, but there are just enough people around to give the place atmosphere.