Author Topic: Where to eat?  (Read 62152 times)

Offline hopper

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2003, 09:21:03 AM »
Sounds like the food is excellent. When you get a chance, talk to an old-timer what the food was like in 1975, before tourism had started. Traditional dishes kept warm consisted of beans, lamb, potatoes, moussakas, pastizzios and spaghetti.
Some times you would get steak. Most dishes were soaked in olive oil and never had any spices added, ie plain. That changed over time. Compulsary diarrhoea was to be suffered for at least 2 weeks after hitting Greece. It was pretty save to eat chips (done in fresh olive oil), fried fish and greek salad. The homemade yoghurt and the sansiki was also a treat. Yum, enjoy
Hopper

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2003, 04:35:33 PM »
Interesting that there is a connection between Mouses and Ariadne as htese were our two favourite tavernas. Corali was also excellant. Ariadne, in particular was very good value for money.

We enjoyed the group meal at Medusa. I had the Spicy Pork on recommendation from Compage and it was superb.

Back in the UK now and 1/2 a stone to lose - might have something to do with the donuts on the beach!

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2003, 04:39:10 PM »
Here is the result of the Best jury:

Plateia - Myrthios      12 points  tremendous food, good atmosphere views to die for
Mythos - Damnoni     10 points  fresh fish, delicious
Mytos - near church    8 points  good food (and good raki- Peter)
Manoussos                 6 points  traditional taverna, very friendly
Alianthos                    4 points  Good food, huge portions
Medousa                    2 points   Great atmosphere, need I say more?
Secret Nest                Unfair to give nil points as the fish was great, too quiet.

This list is very subjective.  Over the years we have eaten in many other places and can't say we've had a disappointing meal anywhere.
Yvonne

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2003, 05:29:38 PM »
My favourite restaurant by far is the Lysseos - excellent food esp the oven roasts, nice location , good service , friednly staff , and extensive menu. Can I correct one thing in an earlier message though - the lady who runs it , cannot remember her name , is not Cypriot , she is Athenian. However her husband who is the chef - who only appears late on when things have quitened down - is Cypriot so there are some Cypriot specialities - eg Pork afelia -and some dishes like Kleftiko cooked rather differently from most other Greek restaurants .
I do not agree with the description of the woman in charge as bossy - I have always found her very friendly . And it did not get crowded on my recent visit in second half of august so I was surprised to see the advice to eat early there- and I rarely ate until 9 or 9 30 . In 2 weeks I ate there 11 times and only repeated twice on the last two days by choice - there is such a wide choice that I could have stayed for 4 weeks, chosen a dish I liked , and not repeated
 The other three nights I ate at the Plateas in Myrteos - not sure of spelling of either - Sofia B cos near Livicon and I had a bad foot , and Medousa cos near Stella where I was staying and for the same reason . All good but none anything like as good as Lysseos .oh and the prices are very modest - I had a main course , a sweet , a beer and a coffee and it usually was about 12 to 13 Euros

roger

Offline martinh

• View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2003, 07:30:32 PM »
We've just returned from 2 weeks from Plakias and to be honest we weren't that impressed by the food served up in most of the taverna's.

The first week we went tried some of those recommended  most by others and were disappointed.  Sorry to say this but Medousa and Sirocco served up the worst meals we've had in 13 years of Greek holidays.  The best meal in the first week was the Souvlaki bar next to Plakias Market!  Even the chemist had sold out of imodium.

The saving grace was we found Lyseos in the 2nd week and ate there from there on.

The food is like traditional home cooking.  The service was also excellent.  If you ask for oven potatoes she will usually oblige if you wanted an alternative to chips.
I can really recommend the stuffed chicken in vine leaves, stuffed pork, stifado and kleftiko.  To finish it off try the fresh strawberries and ice cream.

You don't get free raki or melon or anything else.  What you do get is excellent food.

10 out of 10 to Lyseos.  The others need to try harder.

P.S Can't comment on the fish as neither of us are great fish eaters.

Martin

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2003, 09:24:17 PM »
We can also post a vote for the Souvlaki House - we arrived at 11.30pm, with the memories of the in-flight meal thankfully fading. The veggie and souvlaki pittas were very cheap and very tasty. If it had been down to me we would have eaten there again. Maybe next year.
As for indifferent meals. Our only dissapointment was Sofia (A). The food looked lovely but was consistantly too salty for our taste.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 10:27:19 AM »
i thought i'd resurrect  this thread as eating is very close to my heart  

i am quite surprised we'd never found the morroccan restaurant mentioned by Shinaria and a few others, is this place still up and running? it sounds very good and i must admit by the end of two weeks we are searching for something a little different (in the grub anyway!!)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »
Looks like the Lysseous is out in front and I must agree. I had the kleftica four times last year and it was... oh I can still taste it! wonderful!
Always found the Kri Kri a safe bet for grills eg swordfish, steaks etc and they always ask you how you want it cooked.
Worst meal? an afternoon snack in the Lamon, the pizza was like a biscuit which made me drink more beer.

It's very difficult to answer 'where's the best place to eat?' as I find new places every year.
Can't say I've had a bad main meal anywhere, for the newbies go out and try these places and find your own favourites.
george g...

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 01:47:45 PM »
Hallo harribobs,

to find the place you have to follow the road that starts right beneath the souvlakia grill
in the center of the village in northerly direction. You will pass a supermarket driven by  some people from the UK and another by a greek family on your left. A few steps further [last house before crossing and opposite of "Ouranos" Appartemens under a huge palmtree] you will find the place. We had our rooms in Ouranos in 2003 and the balcony with a view [and an ear] on the place.
Once we went in for dinner and and it was really alright. To be honest, the maroccoan masters wife was soooo extremely friendly and almost too endeavored.
We were so ashamed, that everytime we passed by their establishment for lunch in plakias without entering their place we really felt guilty...
Try the dishes in this special terracotta containers!

Yumm Yumm Yumm

shinaria

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 02:08:38 PM »
Shinaria

it sounds absolutely lovely, we'll definetly be trying it, what is it called?  i know what you mean about sneaking past places and the smaller the village, the harder it is!  

George

Lysseous is a pretty good place to eat i agree, but you do need a change now and then, it made me laugh someone calling the lady there bossy, i'd agree with that (but not in front of her!)

Lunchtimes for us (if we're in palkias) is usually the peligramnos, good standard tarvena grub and not too far to walk from the beach, we get on well with the guys there as well. our other regular lunch stop is at shinaria (the beach not the forum member) the Star, again close to beach and good food

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Where to eat?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 08:41:32 PM »
Hallo harribobs,

to find the place you have to follow the road that starts right beneath the souvlakia grill
in the center of the village in northerly direction. You will pass a supermarket driven by  some people from the UK and another by a greek family on your left. A few steps further [last house before crossing and opposite of "Ouranos" Appartemens under a huge palmtree] you will find the place. We had our rooms in Ouranos in 2003 and the balcony with a view [and an ear] on the place.
Once we went in for dinner and and it was really alright. To be honest, the maroccoan masters wife was soooo extremely friendly and almost too endeavored.
We were so ashamed, that everytime we passed by their establishment for lunch in plakias without entering their place we really felt guilty...
Try the dishes in this special terracotta containers!

Yumm Yumm Yumm

shinaria
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This sounds like the place Ostracco (where are you) recommended to us. As we were in Plakias for three weeks we fancied a change one night so tried a mexican meal at this Taverna and I must admit it was wonderful. Can only recommend it.

Dotty
Dotty

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005, 10:09:27 PM »
This sounds like the place Ostracco (where are you) recommended to us. As we were in Plakias for three weeks we fancied a change one night so tried a mexican meal at this Taverna and I must admit it was wonderful. Can only recommend it.

Dotty
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3095\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

in three weeks you must have eaten just about everywhere

i'll put you on the spot ....what was your top three tavernas?

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Where to eat?
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 10:48:47 PM »

Dotty
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3095\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

in three weeks you must have eaten just about everywhere

i'll put you on the spot ....what was your top three tavernas?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why?  Everyone is different also ones mood on the night. I can only say I don't think we have had a bad meal in Plakias but must admit we seem to end up in Moussos with Adonis. Ariadne did not have the same quality last year and of course the Souvlaki House. Yum Yum. Could go on for ages but...each to there own

Dotty
Dotty

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2005, 11:09:23 PM »
Could go on for ages but......

that's why i asked for just three!

wish i was sat outside the souvalaki house now with a plate of gyros and a mythos  

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Where to eat?
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 08:58:33 AM »
Could go on for ages but......

that's why i asked for just three!

wish i was sat outside the souvalaki house now with a plate of gyros and a mythos  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me too but we have to wait till Sep/Oct for that treat
Dotty