Author Topic: Irapetra  (Read 3294 times)

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Irapetra
« on: June 24, 2005, 02:00:49 PM »
Andy

did you get to Irapetra? and if so, what did you think of it?

chris

Offline wakefossil

• ICQ Messenger - 346648572
    • MSN Messenger - wakefossil@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wakefossil
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Irapetra
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:28:53 PM »
Hi, Chris!

Yes, I went to Ierapetra. And I liked it.

Advantages: It's a (albeit small) town, so everything (banks / cash dispensers, internet cafes, pharmacies, supermarkets) is there multiply, so you don't have problems when one fails.
Car rentals are pretty cheap. One car rental agency had a special offer at €90 for four days.
You see a bit of the locals' life (like, for example, when Olympiakos won the championship). It's not dominated by tourism.

Disadvantages: The local beach is not very nice, so you need a ride (if you don't want to wait for the bus). Which leads us to the next problem: motorbike rentals are expensive. Well, they got more expensive in all of Crete (as I mentioned in earlier posts), but in Ierapetra they're specifically pricey.
The beaches east of Ierapetra are quite nice though (especially Aghia Fotia and Ahlia).
If you live along the main road be sure to have soundproof windows, as moped traffic usually lasts until 3 a.m. I usually get used to noise like that because it's Greek noise, but it may hamper your sleep now and then.
Restaurants are slightly more expensive than in Plakias, but no more than about 5%.

Room rates are about the same (we paid the exact same price for our rooms in Ierapetra and Plakias).

The tour to Lassithi was dropped due to 1) laziness and 2) rainy weather inland.
We did roam along the coast a bit, nearly got lost in the olive groves below Aghios Ioannis (very labyrinthic there) and went to the Butterfly Gorge (although I squashed more butterflies on the freeway on our short trip to Croatia this weekend than I saw there).
We did a boat trip to Chrissi island. Quite nice (especially in early season when the umbrellas are still there from last year but there's noone there to collect money), but the boat fare is way overpriced: €20 per person for a 3/4 hour trip. It was OK though, because on Chrissi the sun was shining whereas on the 'mainland' it was cloudy.

All in all, we really enjoyed it, but we were glad to spend the rest of the holidays in Plakias.

Andy

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Irapetra
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 10:23:02 AM »
Hi Andy

glad you had a good time there, how odd that car rentals are cheap and bikes expensive, you'd think it would be both  

we got the fireworks in Plakias when Olymiakos won, it confused a lot of people

i can understand what you mean about traffic noise, i have through it a few times ( but never stayed) and always thought the main road ( good as it is) was very busy, i can put up with 'greek' noise as long as i've had enough raki!  

we never looked at Aghia Fotia and Ahlia, we stopped at a few other places on the west side but didn't like them very much

it's a shame you never made the lassithi, we are considering it for October but i wouldn't be too surprised if we end up in Plakias again!  

thanks for the interesting post

cheers
chris