login

Author Topic: Gioma Taverna  (Read 9805 times)

Offline Laura

• View Profile
Gioma Taverna
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »
I have just returned from a wonderful holiday in Plakias and was recommended by a local to eat in the Gioma taverna.  The food was fresh, tasty, and Manolis the owner was excellent. One night we went really Greek and ordered lots starters instead of a main meal and all were delicious.  It was so nice to just sit and eat so close to sea, our favourate table was closest to the sand as it is an open air terrace so you can look up to the stars.  |The prices were reasonable too. I will be back next year for sure!!!    Cant't wait. :)

Offline nora

• View Profile
Re: Gioma Taverna
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
Hi Laura
Thanks for the review, we don't go to Plakias until September so look forward to everyones recommendations. What was your stand out dish and would you recommend any other tavernas?
Efharisto
Nora

Offline Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
At Gioma it is difficult to choose a favourate as I did'nt have a bad one, but if I had to choose I would be torn between the  Beef Stifado and the Rabbit with cumin and saffran.  The seafood salad was delicious too.

There is also a nice restaurant in Selia village food was good there too, went for lunch and staff were very friendly.

Im getting hungry again...!

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »
Thanks Laura - beef stifado is one of our favourites and the rabbit sounds something i've never tried in greece before. Will check out Selia Village. Many thanks for your reply - sorry I made you hungry!
Nora x

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
Selia is well worth a visit. We always pop up several times, and had our special last night meal there last year. The food is simply excellent - the chicken chops are a favourite, but if there's lamb in tomato on the specials list, go for it!
Mikalis has extended the outdoor area twice since we've been visiting, so as well as friendly service and great food you'll get a lovely view over Plakias and the bay.
John - Ostraco

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »
Gio Ma was really good this June. Especially the mixed meze starter.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »
Have visited Plakias many times over the past ~20 years, and every year since 2002, yet managed to miss Gio Ma completely until the last couple of years. The food is both excellent and plentiful.

My favourite is the grilled Octopus, closely followed by red mullet, but possibly not everyone's thing!

The place retains a genuine feel, the staff are attentive and, I think, attentive without being intrusive. The spot is wonderful, nicely sheltered from the wind but with wonderful sunset views.

Definitely in our top three and possibly tops!

Richard

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... Back in September!

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
We allways stay in the room above the taverna, sadly, we aint going this year, we'd normally be there now, really missing it

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 06:23:35 AM »
Only been to Gioma once this holiday. Don't know whether the other places have upped their game or Gioma has slipped a bit. The meal was fine but nothing special. Best meals have been at Kastro, Tasomanolis, Peligremnos and Vrisi. Have to think about it on the flight home tomorrow  :'( to decide an order of preference. Peligremnos tonight for final blow out!

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »
It is difficult to decide on one visit. The worst meals we had last year were the Kastro and the Lysseos. The Kastro to be fair was empty and I do not think the Kitchen was prepared because it was so dead, they did have delicious wine however. The Lysseos we really have tried to like, but we are in a very small minority that do not think the food is particularly good. Tiny portions, not particularly tasty and no little touches like watermelon or Raki after the meal. It does have its devotees, it must be us as the place is groaning at the seams when we pass.
I found the mistake I made with the Gio-ma was not ordering enough dishes. The specials were good but there would only be a garnish and a small heap of rice on the side. Not enough to fill me.
The answer was to order side dishes. So you are not alone in feeling dissatisfied.
We will try the Kastro again (Binoculars needed to check there are people eating before walking up) and will eat at Gio-ma.
Looking forward the most to Minoiko, Sirocco and a few others outside Plakias. It is good we all do not like the same places or we would have trouble getting a seat, do not like having to book tables.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:03:46 AM by Lampyland »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »
I haven't heard much lately about Taverna Manoussos, behind the Alianthos next to Medousa. Has anyone been recently and how is it this year?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »
Went to Gio Ma last Sunday and opinion reinforced; still really like it. We leave first thing Wednesday so come Tuesday night, we'll spend our last evening there.

Richard

Offline thetravelor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
foto's look great! I'll keep it in mind for next time