Author Topic: Irida studios  (Read 62760 times)

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »
Hello all,
I am just looking at the Olympic site for next year and they are offering the Irida studios. On the map i can locate this accommodation being opposite the Santa Maria,  but the Olympic site states that it has a pool and it unsuitable for wheel chair users and the infirm and to bring a torch for night.
Is this the same place or have I missed something?
This place was the very first place I stayed at in 1989 and was known as the Pension Paligremnos also the youth hostel was opposite!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:44:27 PM »
Quote from: Barny
Hello all,
I am just looking at the Olympic site for next year and they are offering the Irida studios. On the map i can locate this accommodation being opposite the Santa Maria,  but the Olympic site states that it has a pool and it unsuitable for wheel chair users and the infirm and to bring a torch for night.
This place was the very first place I stayed at in 1989 and was known as the Pension Paligremnos also the youth hostel was opposite!

Barny.

Hi Barny

I think this is the same place as it is opposite the Santa Maria. We had friends stay there in the 90's and in recent years it has been updated & is owned by Monolis Kalatzidaka ( one of the Paligremnos sons) I quess it could have been the original Paligremnos? We know that Monolis put a swimming pool in a couple of years ago.
Not a bad place to stay, only a short stroll down to the beach & probably a good standard ( we have stayed at the Paligremnos for the last 15 years) and Plakias for 20 + years.

Plakias is like a magnet to us!!!

Regards

Dave&Les

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
Yes that must be the one. Thanks.
All those years and I wonder how many times we walked past each other!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »
That last picture is definately the Irida opposite the Santa Maria Barny. I've stayed in that top floor room a couple of times, but I can't say I remember the pool being put in. It wasn't there when I was there, and I don't remember seeing in over the last few years.

george...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:38:03 PM »
Quote from: Barny
Hello all,

Barny.
Hello Barny,

It is indeed opposite Santa Maria and is an 8-10 minute slightly downhill walk on the main road to the supermarket just before the Alianthos hotels. There is even a newly constructed pavement on the road. You won't need a torch unless the Irida itself is poorly lit. It does have a pool.

I became friendly with a couple who were staying there when I was in Plakias in May and they said it was good.

Mike

p.s. Olympic prices for 2010 are down on 2009 and don't forget that the price Olympic offers when you phone in is always less than the internet price.

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:34:58 AM »
Has anybody else noticed that the Olympic website is only showing prices for 2010 at Kostas, Dora & Irida.
All other properties have no prices displayed in the price panels.

Could this be because they have not negotiated next years rates yet, or are they dropping them?

Peter&Dawn

Offline dreamofgreece

• View Profile
Irida studios
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
Quote from: Peter&Dawn
Has anybody else noticed that the Olympic website is only showing prices for 2010 at Kostas, Dora & Irida.

Could this be because they have not negotiated next years rates yet, or are they dropping them?

Peter&Dawn

The brochure for 2010 is the same. I will be staying at the Santa Maria in a few days time but it is not included for 2010. There seems to be a general trend to withdraw closer to the airports. I have checked a number of brochures for 2010 and resorts previously listed have disapeared. i.e Paleochora and Myrtos. There is very little now listed for the south coast of Crete.

Derek.

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »
Quote from: dreamofgreece

Peter&Dawn

The brochure for 2010 is the same. I will be staying at the Santa Maria in a few days time but it is not included for 2010. There seems to be a general trend to withdraw closer to the airports. I have checked a number of brochures for 2010 and resorts previously listed have disapeared. i.e Paleochora and Myrtos. There is very little now listed for the south coast of Crete.

Derek.

You are quite right , Derek . Since Kosmar pulled out there are sadly no packages to Palaeochora from the UK. There are some from Germany I think.

I have stayed at Santa Maria and the Irida looked pretty good over the road . Nice pool away from the wind.

I seem to remember that last year some people who had booked for the Santa Maria found themselves transferred to the Irida. Or am I hallucinating again  ?. Lucky them I say as the Santa Maria is an odd place all round.

Heather.

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »

Peter&Dawn

Derek.

You are quite right , Derek . Since Kosmar pulled out there are sadly no packages to Palaeochora from the UK. There are some from Germany, I think.

I have stayed at Santa Maria and the Irida looked pretty good over the road . Nice pool away from the wind.

I seem to remember that last year some people who had booked for the Santa Maria found themselves transferred to the Irida. Or am I hallucinating again  ?. Lucky them I say as the Santa Maria is an odd place all round.

Heather.

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »
[/quote]

Heather.
[/quote]

I think the transfers were to Costas and not the Irida.

Peter&Dawn

Offline dreamofgreece

• View Profile
Irida studios
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:15:23 PM »
Quote from: travellingran

Peter&Dawn

Derek.

You are quite right , Derek . Since Kosmar pulled out there are sadly no packages to Palaeochora from the UK. There are some from Germany I think.

Heather.

Despite it's many faults Kosmar is sadly missed. It covered more locations in Greece than any other company. It had an interest in Greece because it's owner was Greek but this interest died as soon as XL took over.

Derek.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
Lucky them I say as the Santa Maria is an odd place all round.

Heather.

I don't know the place but it's always looked quite nice from the outside - intrigued to know what's odd about it?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »
The Irida Apartments is now the Hotel Irida
Check this one out, thanks to Barny for this:

http://www.irida-plakias.gr/

george...

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
Quote from: George
The Irida Apartments is now the Hotel Irida
Check this one out, thanks to Barny for this:

http://www.irida-plakias.gr/

george...

And for anyone interested in Irida, here's a photo taken this year looking into the back of Irida with the entrance to Santa Maria behind it (left) on the other side of the road. I must say the video on the irida site makes the most of the place.
[attachment=695:Crete___...0909_181.jpg]

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Irida studios
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 02:09:50 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Lucky them I say as the Santa Maria is an odd place all round.

Heather.

I don't know the place but it's always looked quite nice from the outside - intrigued to know what's odd about it?
It's odd in one respect in that the front apartments have a nice outlook and the ones at the back have a poor one, overlooking a partly finished building (or it was in May 2008). I liked it there; it might be a little too far out for some, about 8 mins from the supermarket at the east end of town. The road to the east out of Plakias is now pavemented at least as far as SM. As someone else has said, Olympic seems to have dropped it for 2010 in favour of Irida.

Mike