Author Topic: Using the buses  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
Using the buses
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »
Mike and I have sort of started this topic under "Sun Beds" but as there is enough irrelevant material already under that topic I thought I'd start a new stream.

I like to travel independently for many reasons but, of course, my big disadvantage is the transfer.
However, I always use the local buses to get from Iraklio Airport to Plakias (and from Chania to Paleachora) and return. They are cheap, comfortable and reliable. You just have organise your timings and be prepared to wait around for the odd hour here and there.
Admittedly it makes a difference that I travel alone. A taxi costs minimum €100 each way whereas the one way bus fare this year for one person is €13.20.
I would encourage more people to use this option.

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Using the buses
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »
Hopefully this time tomorrow we will be on the bus between Iraklion and Chania. We nearly always use the bus or boat to travel and only occassionaly a taxi. As Bertie says they are comfortable and cheap. Also air conditioned and run on time. We don't view the " be prepared to wait around for the odd hour here and there" as a disadvantage. In fact we will always give our selves a break of several hours between changing buses. There is always something new to explore and most important somewhere different to eat. It does make travelling more enjoyable.
Stuart

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »
Never tried it, how long can it take to get from Heraklion to Plakias? and in the waiting time what do you do with your luggage whilst exploring?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »
Very approx 1.5 hrs to Rethimnon and 40 mins to Plakias. We always travel light, no more than 5kg (cabin luggage) so it stays on our backs. The bus station at Rethimnon is very close to the old town, so before moving on we would at least have a good meal there, a swim & sometimes stay the night.
Stuart

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »
Very approx 1.5 hrs to Rethimnon and 40 mins to Plakias. We always travel light, no more than 5kg (cabin luggage) so it stays on our backs. The bus station at Rethimnon is very close to the old town, so before moving on we would at least have a good meal there, a swim & sometimes stay the night.
Stuart
I was about to post and say that I bet you are young, with being prepared to make the transfer using 2 buses and also travelling extremely light. Having checked your details on the forum I see you are my age. Good luck to you, though I must say an Olympic transfer is about the roughest I am prepared to tolerate and like many others have difficulty making 20kg luggage. Doing significant washing while on holiday isn't what I want to be doing.

Mike

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
hi Mike, I am sure you meant to say that having checked my details on the forum that I am as young as you! Anyway we are in Paleohora having Mythos as I write. 3 or 4 days before we move on depending on the ferry. Rough sea at the moment with the ferry not running yesterday. And as to that washing it is just a shorts and T shirt holiday for us and clothes washing is no more than 5 minutes a night,
 Stuart

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:33:50 AM »
Young? I'm drawing my pension!
And I always travel light. Just what need on my back (not much).
It makes me laugh when I see all those people queuing at the airport to check in their luggage, looking as though they're moving home. It's a beach a holiday for heaven's sake; what's there to take?
Travel light and travel cheap. It makes for a much more interesting journey and leaves lots of money for Mythos.