login

Author Topic: Ferries to/from Paleochora  (Read 5008 times)

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
Ferries to/from Paleochora
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
Hello to all,
hope that someone can help.
We will be visiting Crete during last week in October. As well as our usual time in Plakias we plan to visit friends who are relocating to Paleochora. Is it at all possible in anyones experience to travel along the south coast between these 2 towns, even with a car and that late in the year?

Maps show those little dotted lines that indicate ferries, but we have never been aware of ferries coming that distance.

Another query - would you know if having hired a car for a week, a company would allow for one car being left in one town and another being picked up in a second town?

Thanks and best wishes

Jane

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
Quote from: JaneGary
Hello to all,
hope that someone can help.
We will be visiting Crete during last week in October. As well as our usual time in Plakias we plan to visit friends who are relocating to Paleochora. Is it at all possible in anyones experience to travel along the south coast between these 2 towns, even with a car and that late in the year?

Maps show those little dotted lines that indicate ferries, but we have never been aware of ferries coming that distance.

Another query - would you know if having hired a car for a week, a company would allow for one car being left in one town and another being picked up in a second town?

Thanks and best wishes

Jane
Quick answer is NO Jane. Not a hope in hell!! It's just not possible I've tried. There's Samaria for a start and another gorge that I can't remember the name of. The only way to drive there is on the north main highway and go down the west coast!!
Or you can get the ferry from Choras Fakion. There's a link to the timetable on another thread posted today!

george g...

Forgot, the car hire companies are usually very flexible, there's no harm in asking!

gg...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:13:04 PM by George »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »
well, it is possible to drive to Chora Sphakion (about 90 minutes away) and pick up the ferry from there to Paleochora. it is a car ferry but i do not know what the charges are for carrying a car.  you can find timetables at this site sfakia-crete

we are doing something similar but driving north, then west over to Maleme/Tavronitis, then south again to Paleochora

chris
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:54:18 AM by harribobs »

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
well, it is possible to drive to Chora Sphakion (about 90 minutes away) and pick up the ferry from there to Paleochora. it is a car ferry but i do not know what the charges are for carrying a car.  you can find timetables at this site sfakia-crete

we are doing something similar but driving north, then west over to Maleme/Tavronitis, then south again to Paleochora

chris

Three years ago I met up with a couple who were travelling by car from Paleochora to somewhere in the wilds near Spili. They reckoned it was much better to put the car on the ferry rather than drive all the way round. It's probably quicker and may not be much more expensive once you've allowed for the petrol you'll save. This couple were good enough to give me a lift from Chora Sfakion to Plakias. They hadn't been to Plakias before but liked the look of it and were planning to go back to have a longer luck.

One bit of irritation travelling on the ferry from east to west is that it hangs around in Aghia Roumeli for quite a while during the afternoon.

Greecemad

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:44:50 PM »
[
One bit of irritation travelling on the ferry from east to west is that it hangs around in Aghia Roumeli for quite a while during the afternoon.  

WE found it and excelent stop for a lunch and a dive!!  

[attachment=619:img_3799a.jpg]
[attachment=620:img_3801a.jpg]
Beachcombers

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:42:43 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
I wish a similiar ferry service existed from Plakias to the East  

I sort of agree with you and I suspect it could be a very successful venture indeed. However if it did happen then that success might be detrimental to the general ambience of Plakias that most of us like.

John R

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Thanks to all for comments.
As long as ferry is running as late as end Oct, we will probably use it.

Best wishes
Jane