Author Topic: Winter is here  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
Winter is here
« on: December 13, 2019, 05:58:42 AM »
So winter is here, the temperature has finally dipped below 20 e for more than a day, a thunderstorm last night which is about the 3rd this year so far but the rain has only lasted for a few hours each time so not too bad.
It plans to be a busy winter here, with many changes planned, some good some bad, they are very busy this year clearing out the rivers around an in Plakias with at least 3 large excavators digging them deeper wider and clearing all the vegetation on the banks out, I guess they don't want to be caught out like last year.
There has been a lot of controversy about a planned hotel with "hobbit" style rooms half in half out of the ground just above the large cliff face at Paligremnos, from what I have read i think the forestry commission have blocked it but you can never be too sure here, sometimes it just comes down to money, ie who it’s given to !
The new hotel being built up just before Paligremnos is well under way now personally I don't think this is a bad development for the town, its reported to have between 400 and 600 rooms i hear, but that seems high to me for the size so I think those numbers have been confused with beds, anyway it’s an all-inclusive luxury hotel buy the Aquila group, Olympic have taken some rooms so maybe some of you will be staying there net year !, as its all-inclusive it’s unlikely that more than a 50-100 people will come into town on a night to eat i guess so I don’t think it will have a big effect on the numbers of people in the town on a night and the beach is big enough and cope easily with the extra beds, it will bring in more money to the town with shopping, bars, trips etc so I think this is a good thing.
There are a few more large development going to be built this year too, a new hotel at the back of Plakias on the steep concrete road to Selia with 56 rooms, and on the same road 14 villas, and a further two ore development but only with 8 rooms between them and these are likely not to be finished for the next season anyway.
Work is underway to tarmac the road from Souda to Rodakino along the cliff face buy the dragon so this will make the beach at Rodakino more accessible which is good as this is a great beach to go if there is a strong north wind.
In the town the Notus Bar over the supermarket next to Sifis has gone and is getting turned into apartments and the super market is also gone again being made into apartments, the owners of this supermarket have now just started to build a new supermarket next door to the Blu Café on the beach road, hopefully this does not turn into a typical tourist type supermarket full of inflatables and tat.
There is a new town plan showing that the main front road from the bridge around to sweet creations will be pedestrianised, with new seating ect so the traffic will have to go around at the side of the Forum and out along the back of Plakias, this again I think is not a bad thing as the cars running past the taverners around Ostracos at the moment do cause a hazard in busy tourist times, but no work has started yet so who knows if this will be implemented next year or not.
A couple of months ago, there was an official notice in the papers that the main road from Koxare up to Armeni was to be closed from the 1st November for 6 months for repairs and other work meaning a long detour for traffic to Rethymno  which was going to be a right pain, but so far nothing has happened ! … only in Greece.
The olive harvest is well on the way with good crop size generally but the quality is not so high this year, but over supply has meant that prices are as low as 1 euro a litre so some farmers are not bothering to take the olives as the cost of the labour to remove them is more than the money they will get for selling the oil.
If any more big developments happen I will let you know, have a good winter everyone .

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Winter is here
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:44:20 AM »
Thanks very much for all that information, hope the higher figures of the Hotel rooms isn't correct I think that amount of extra people all at once would really ruin Plakias.
Have been watching the Webcams regularly, and the last couple of days it has looked really wet and miserable.
Summer cant come soon enough, Will be back for 3 weeks June-July staying at Castello for a change, and hoping to get another fortnight in September probably at Costas

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »
Compare all this to maybe 15 years ago.........
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »
Should have added that we hope you have a great Christmas and New Year out there, and also extend that to the rest of the ever dwindling forum users

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
Many thanks for that update. Most welcome and informative.
Could you please elaborate/explain in simple terms, about the proposed pedestrian area being planned.
In particular, where the bi pass road would be routed and where it would start and end.
Would any new parts of this road need to be a new build ?
What would be the extent of the pedestrian area ?
In my view, if this were to come about, it would be a major plus point for Plakias and its visitors.

Offline Roy B

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 08:00:43 PM »
Bring back Souvlaki House?

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »
To be honest I have not seem the town plan myself and I only had a brief discussion about it with a friend of mine who is the local councillor, next time I meet up with him for a coffee or Raki or two I will ask him more questions, as far as I know its the back road from the Forum then turn left before the Library turn off, over the bridge round the back of Apollo and out at the road at the side of Sweet Creations, this is my own guess and they only need to make the road better at the back of Apollo as at the moment its just a track.
I will post more when i find out or when they start work or should I say if the start work !
Proper storm here to day waves crashing over the new port defences, I am glad I took my boat out of the water !

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 10:57:49 AM »
Oh how things used to be. My big worry is that it may drive away the people who used to go for the laid back atmosphere and quaintness of Plakias. Yes I know progress happens but at what cost. If they send traffic around the back of the forum they will have to do something with the bridge by the youth hostel, I don't see that lasting too long.

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 12:07:32 PM »
Just found some details about the new all inclusive resort, Going to be called the Alegria Beach Resort Plakias, 103 rooms / apartments, All Inclusive stay available. Some details and artists impressions on a Scandinavian Holiday companies site (Apollo), just Google it (and use translate) for 3 pages of results. Also now been listed on Olympics site for next summer, but not much information other than the price (over £1200 pp 14 nights) next September.
Certainly going upmarket now, wont be long before all us commoners are turned back at the gorges.   :D :o

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 01:26:06 AM »
I've posted elsewhere, but I've gone from being pretty sure about semi-retirement in Plakias to having real doubts.

I know that things change, but it's the current pace that worries me. These schemes perpetuate themselves, if successful, whilst chipping away at the reason for any initial success i.e. changing (for me, spoiling) the character of the place.

Once Souda has even a small supermarket I can see the space between Souda-Plakias slowly (or not so slowly...) being developed much further, despite the cliff running much of the way.

I used to think that the small dwelling just above the harbour had the most fantastic location, lovely views south and across the bay, between the headlands, with no space on the cliff below for anyone to build an apartment or a road.

Hadn't considered a harbour though....

I really hope I'm wrong!!

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 06:05:01 AM »
Reading the posts about change in the area makes me feel that some people have missed the fact that a big if not the biggest thing I love about living here is the people.
Yes, new buildings have gone up and the town has developed and will continue to do so, but the character, friendliness and community spirit of the people is amazing.
I think this is also important when returning back to a vacation hotel / rooms as many of you do year after year the genuine pleased to see you welcome you undoubtedly receive, you might think that this is money orientated but I an assure you this is not the main reason, they are just genuinely glad to see you as you would any friend that you have not seen for a while.
I don’t believe that the place will ever get over developed as its location will stop this in a natural selection type of way as there are only so many people that are prepared to travel a 2hr transfer.

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »
As Richard says remember when you could walk to Souda see no houses, walk along towards Plakias bay hotel no developments. We are not stick in the muds but the place will defiantly loose its appeal. I agree the people are the most friendly I have met on any holiday but it is the extra tourists that put the money in there pockets so I don't see them complaining.
Instead of visiting 2 or 3 times a year we will visit the once out of season. already looking for somewhere down the coast from Plakias that is less spoilt. As for 2 hour journey by coach simple if you drive hire a car, not that expensive if shop around. 

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 05:16:43 AM »
Haven't missed this fact at all. Owners of the apartment we stay in have become friends over the years, happy to see them, always a warm and genuine welcome in my favourite tavernas/Joe's bar, and from the waitress that thinks that I look like Donald Trump....

Plenty of inner city locations in sunny places with a fantastic community spirit. Won't be taking holidays there any time soon because of it, though. Each to their own.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 05:22:58 AM by Richard »