Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Plakias / Re: Seafront work
« Last post by Daniel on April 14, 2023, 06:22:25 PM »
He also added that the goal is for Plakias to be pedestrianized in the next tourist season, as then, as he said, the ring road will be completed while the municipality will have at its disposal two municipal parking spaces and a private one.

Is there a map/route plan for the Plakias by pass ?
Would be most interesting to see  how and how much of the town is planned to be pedestrianized .
« Last post by DandC on April 14, 2023, 10:15:24 AM »
Some detail from the TripAdvisor thread https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g319776-i11116-k14353405-Plakias_2023_roadworks-Plakias_Agios_Vasileios_Municipality_Rethymnon_Prefecture_Crete.html#117240838.

Interesting to hear of the plans for pedestrianisation and ringroad by next year.

For those that are interested this is what is being done to improve Plakias:

The major bioclimatic regeneration project concerning the tourist zone of Plakias is in full progress, which is progressing rapidly by the contractor and the continuous supervision of the municipality of Agios Vasilios.This is an intervention with a total length of 900 meters in the heart of the tourist settlement, designed to upgrade aesthetically and functionally the area of the south that attracts many visitors every summer.According to the mayor of Agios Vasilios, the sidewalks on the side of commercial enterprises and shops of sanitary interest from the entrance of Plakias to the bridge have already been completed, while now works are progressing on the sea side with the construction of sidewalks and bicycle paths. According to the schedule, as Mr. Tatarakis told the "R.N.", the works will be suspended on May 15-20 in order to avoid any disturbance during the tourist season. By then, as he underlined, the first part of the project will have been completed from the entrance of Plakias (Alianhtos Hotel up to the bridge) on both sides and there will be no dugouts, while until then, as he added, a piece will be worked on after the bridge and up to the junction for Souda on the sea side. At the same time, as he said, the project for the underground cables of HEDNO by May 20 will be completed at a rate of 75-80%, while the pending issues for autumn, when the project will restart, concern four closed-type transformers while the engraved asphalt will be pending. However, as the mayor pointed out, the project that will restart in mid-October will be completed and delivered on December 10, since as he said it is an NSRF project and there is no room for extensions." The works are in full swing and according to our schedule, they will continue until May 15-20.By then, all the ditches of HEDNO will have been restored, which will have completed most of the planned works (75-80%). I would like to thank very much HEDNO and its contractor Mr Papoutsakis for the progress of the works, which are progressing very quickly. Also, by then (mid-May) the sidewalks, bicycle paths and lighting fixtures will have been installed on the section from the entrance of Plakias to the bridge, While the contractor is proceeding at this time and after the bridge a piece on the sea side. On the sea side there will be sidewalks, planting, bicycle path, pedestrian path. All work stops around May 15-20 and will restart on October 15 to complete the project and deliver it later than December 10. Let us remind you that a flood protection project that is included in the bioclimatic regeneration has been completed", said Yiannis Tatarakis, pointing out that this project will transform the area by upgrading it aesthetically and functionally. He also added that the goal is for Plakias to be pedestrianized in the next tourist season, as then, as he said, the ring road will be completed while the municipality will have at its disposal two municipal parking spaces and a private one.
« Last post by DandC on March 28, 2023, 12:24:45 PM »
Interesting to see Plakias in the off-season! Lot of work going on, that's for sure. Thanks for posting.
Hope it's tidied up by Jun 23rd ! :D
« Last post by Davos on March 28, 2023, 10:51:44 AM »
Do you think the work will be completed for the summer? I return in June.
« Last post by JBMouse on March 27, 2023, 04:36:30 PM »
If anyone wants to see the works nearing competion, check out this video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJfjFmSm6pk
Zameer Pactyan must live on Crete and has posted a large number of videos from all ove Crete with several of them from Plakias. Watch the whole video or fast forward to 21 minutes when he is just driving down the hill into Plakias from Lefkogia. If my link doesnt pass through scrutiny, just do a search for Zameer Pactyan. Nikos at On The Rocks (Nikos Plakias Ontherocks is his Facebook page) has also posted some videos of the new tarmac being laid outside his place, note the PPE being worn by all (not)!
Hopefully my health will improve and I can make it back to Plakias again soon, been missing it these last 3 years, and after 20 years of going there it has been been difficult being away for so long.
« Last post by Noggy on February 02, 2023, 08:37:52 AM »
That makes sense, thanks. Hope they put in bigger sewage pipes as well.
« Last post by shinaria on February 01, 2023, 12:36:02 PM »
Copy and paste: "Installation of new and bigger waterpipes.....Due to more and more buildings and more and more tourism more water is needed....A new pipe is brought from Kourtalioti gorge via the irrigation chanel road to supply Plakias with more water."
« Last post by Barny on January 30, 2023, 08:21:29 AM »
Looks very different, any ideas?
Barny.
Plakias / Seafront work
« Last post by Noggy on January 29, 2023, 08:11:55 AM »
Difficult for me to see from the webcams but does anyone know what's happening to the seafront? Some type of building work?
Plakias / Re: Building work ?
« Last post by CharlesCowan on December 01, 2022, 01:06:01 PM »
Most of the building work is now finished, the hotel lemon has had a major overhaul and they have gutted the top floors re-built all the inside walls and new balconies etc,  I think it is just about finished now.

A new block of apartments has sprung up on the road to the far end opposite Alianthos Beach,just in the plastering stage now so maybe  finished in a month or so.

The new Taverner opposite the cosy bar is called "Throumpi" and is very good, its more of a traditional menu and Manolis the owner goes into the mountains most day to collect the herbs and greens that they serve and free dives in the season to catch octopus.

Manousis taverner at the back of Alianthos Gardens has had a overhaul with new decor, toilet block and updated menu, new staff, a must visit for regulars I would suggest.

Sifis is still as good as ever, Geo Mar has had some work done, but not sure exactly what there was just some building materials outside for a few weeks in Jan/Feb.

A few new houses springing up on the Selia / Plakias road overlooking the new harbour my house being one of them.

The taverner on the right just as you drive out of selia towards the small george ( I cant rember the name ) is good, Nikos the owner/chef has been working in the Plakias area as a chef at many taverners for the last 25 years and is now open again for his second season.

Its getting busy in the main town now, I must admit I prefer legal steroids it when we were just about the only "foreigners" in town on a night and people has time to chat, but now we are in the mid 20s I can't say I miss the winter weather.

Happy holidays everyone ... and Yamas !

BuildingWork is a Seattle-based architecture firm that designs projects and places with a deep respect for craft, context, and detail.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10