login

Author Topic: Weather in August  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
Weather in August
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
Previously we have always gone to plakias mid June, but this year we are thinking of mid August. We're just wondering how much hotter it would be (as we have a 5 year old) ?

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Weather in August
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
I usually go in august, its normally in the high 30's sometimes more.
it suits me but not all.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »
Hi Pimo,

We've been going to Greece in August ever since our (now teenage) daughter started school, so a similar age.  We've never had a problem, and now she thinks it isn't really a Greek holiday if the thermometer is under 30 C.

Our tips have always been - go to the beach early or late, drink plenty of water and if your child does get dehydrated, we have always found fresh watermelon juice (or watermelon) is a marvellous rehydrant.  Works for adults too.

We had a crescent shaped beach tent which would get very hot, because it has to be set up with the back to the wind to stop it blowing away.  We then found one with four open sides, and attached a sarong to the sunny side with bulldog clips and tent pegs.  The only problem is putting it up and taking it down in the wind.

I haven't been to Plakias in June, but I understand that the very strong winds don't pick up until July.  August is always very windy, leading to sand-blasting on some beaches.

I am looking forward to the time when we are no longer limited to school holidays and June or September would certainly be my preference, but August is fine.  Greece in August or not at all? - the choice seems clear!

Arnaki

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
Greece in August or not at all. No brainer!!

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
Last year August was unusual in that whilst it was hot, it was not unbearably so, and the wind was not strong.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »
But we coped!
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline jerichrome

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:53:26 PM »
we went to Crete last year august with our nine year old daughter and it was wonderful. we used to go at end september till half october but temp was perfect, we booked allready in that week for this year. 114 days to go.

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »
Thanks for your replies...just got to persuade the mrs now !!! Wanting to get back there !!

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:11 PM »
Apart from the weather you will find that Plakias is a quite different place in August. The majority of visitors are Greeks. I do not want to be disparaging to the Greeks as it is their country but their behaviour on the beaches and in restaurants is quite different from that of we Northern Europeans. Let's just say the local taverna workers and shop keepers are always pleased when September arrives.