login

Author Topic: What books will you be reading when you go to Plakias this year?  (Read 19142 times)

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Re: What books will you be reading when you go to Plakias this year?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
Have you used yours in the bright sunlight yet? (whatever that is) and would it be too hot on the beach to use it?

Barny.

Hi Barny,

I had a Kindle for the first time in Plakias last year. It was fine.
The e-ink it uses is not like a traditional display, it works great in bright sunlight.

It takes a bit of getting used to but i'm more than happy.

Temperature shouldn't be a problem, though I wouldn't leave it lying around in the baking sun for hours if you weren't using it.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
What books will you be reading when you go to Plakias this year?
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
My Kindle is 17 months old now and performs flawlessly. Just filled it with the current US & UK best seller lists ;-). Have also put a few audio books and the odd novel I have been meaning to read for some time. I have also got a waterproof/ sand proof clear cover for reading it by the pool or on the beach. Loads of weight and space saved in my luggage. The only problem is what to read first.

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
I have used my Kindle in bright sunshine and agree that it's absolutely fine to read but I also agreed that I would leave it deliberately exposed to high temperatures on a beach.
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
This is a good website for Kindle owners, I am not condoning it and what you do there is up to you
Code: [Select]
http://forum.mobilism.org/viewforum.php?f=121Hope I am not breaking any rules by posting the link. Good site for people that love to read.
Kindle owners need .MOBI Format, .PDF will also work but not as well.
There is an excellent Freeware Program for all Ebook users called Calibre, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Install it on your Windows PC, Mac or Linux and load, backup, manage and convert your ebook collection and device. Info here
Code: [Select]
http://calibre-ebook.com/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:39:54 AM by Lampyland »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »
Not sure if this book has been mentioned before but having missed out on visiting this last two years I have been reading some of my old books, the first is In Sfakia, passing time in the wilds of crete by Peter Trudgill published by lycabettus press

it is a wonderful story of his journeys to and around Sfakia from 1963 (IIRC) until the present day, it is full of lovely stories of the people and their history , which peter , as a greek speaker has been able to correlate exceedingly well

I found i was able to relate to many of his stories and enjoyed the book immensely

there is a much fuller review on Erno's Sfakiia site here  books about sfakia

chris

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:37 PM »
So what is everyone going to be reading this year?
Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »
Kalimera Pefki (A look inside Crete)
A book that we brought back from Crete last year, not just for reading on holiday but a lovely addition to the coffee table and to refresh Cretan memories during our long winter.
Beautiful photographs by Henk van der Walle and superb stories by Corinne Falagari who has lived on the Island since 1996.
Let me quote from the book
“Kalimera Pefki is a fascinating journey through a valley on the magical Island of Crete. Touching, hilarious and above all surprising photos and narratives open doors which otherwise would have remained closed to the reader.
Meet the wise mayor, the caring widow, five little girls splashing about in a baptismal  font and the wistful bus driver. And follow the moving story of an eagle and the birth of an angel. Read, watch and taste the Cretan life. It will stay with you forever.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »
For me, it is the serendipity of whatever is in the Plakias library.  I take one book with me to read, likely to be an Anna Zaroudi this year, and donate it to the library.  I also download a few library books to my tablet, as a back up, but I've never needed to fall back on them, except for the journey home.  As there are so many books in the Plakias library, donated by so many varied visitors, there is always something interesting to read, including some of those mentioned earlier in this thread.

Arnaki

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
I agree...I like being able to choose from the collection at Costas Chrysoulas too...and I leave copies there. Found Sepulchre by Kate Mosse a few years ago and have since taken Labyrinth and Citadel as holiday reads. Not sure what choice it will be this year but I often take old favourites such as Sharpe, Poldark or Jane Eyre...something easy to read.

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 01:53:43 PM »
I load up my kindle with anything about Crete and the Greek Islands. OH does as everyone else does, takes books to swap.

Offline sylvia & steve

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »
In line with various other posts on here - I recommend "The Island" by Victoria Heslop; it is a wonderful story about Spinalonga and the effect of leprosy on the life of a young girl growing up on Crete. Very emotional, but also uplifting and hard to believe it is true.

A great read!

:)