Author Topic: Medousa  (Read 34170 times)

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Medousa
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 08:51:37 AM »
Quote from: DOTTY
Quote from: Santa
Quote from: John R
Quote from: Alex_Kidd
Quote from: ems
we found service at Medousa painfully slow even on a quiet night, and the food was very average

maybe an unlucky night...? Give it a second chance!  

Agreed. It is nearly always slow due to its popularity and the kitchen preparing the food on order. Some people do like the food and other places equally or better but generally there is praise for most of their dishes and high praise for their specialities. Any place can have an off night and anyone may have their own preferences.

We don't eat anywhere else - but that is not a condemnation of anywhere else.

John R
With all due respect- you have got to be kidding?
Santa

Oh dear are we not allowed our own opinion. We too love the Medousa We also love other Eating places but if someone chooses to eat in one place only surely they have the right without being criticised. We know quite a few who stick to one place, this is their right surely?
Dotty
OK- I think you all misunderstood my comment- of course you can eat where you want- it just surprised me with all the other fine reastaurants around that someone would stick to just one- It is ok by me -no harm meant-
By the way, I went there twice two weeks ago and found the place quite nice, but the owner seemd a bit moody for my taste. To each his own.
Santa

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 01:41:21 PM »
Quote from: DOTTY
We know quite a few who stick to one place, this is their right surely?
Dotty
I totally agree it is their right, but it is boring. Yes, I guess continually returning to Plakias is boring too.

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 02:23:06 PM »
i don't think it's so much the food, as the company ( and i include Babbis and Despina in that)  

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 08:22:17 PM »
This year I stayed at the Alianthos Beach on compulsory HB terms,   and was gutted that I couldn't (re-)visit some of the fine eating establishments in the area, the Medousa among them.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Medousa
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 07:53:48 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
This is a typical form of Plakian custom relations!     
Leen

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

absolutely right Leen!

how are you doing mate? ( btw  they should have played Ruud!    )

Hi Chris,
Must have been a though time for you the last couple of weeks.  
I donot think Ruud    made you happier last night.
Leen

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 09:42:07 AM »
Quote from: beachcombers
Hi Chris,
Must have been a though time for you the last couple of weeks.  

Hi Leen

it's still hurting this morning!!    

I donot think Ruud    made you happier last night.
Leen

they were very poor in the first half last night  

how was your holiday? good, i hope    ( btw  i found some hommel for sale in manchester last weekend  )

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »
Following the recommendations given on the board I tried Medousa for the first time this year. Even though I stay in the Kyriakos Appartments (sic) next door, I've never eaten at Medousa. The food was excellent and it was very full. However, I often have to eat on my own and found it very quiet - it didn't seem to have the atmosphere of places along the front, but for a couple who want a quiet evening together it may just the thing.

Greecemad

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
The food was excellent and it was very full. However, I often have to eat on my own and found it very quiet - it didn't seem to have the atmosphere of places along the front, but for a couple who want a quiet evening together it may just the thing.

Greecemad

Well that's us exactly and perhaps explains our 99.999% devotion to Medousa over many years. Very rarely found it exactly quiet. As you say - busy and if you know what to look for (Babis frequently managing everything on his own) then there is rather a lot of entertainment to be found. Faulty towers occasionally comes to mind (in the nicest sense). Last year when we were ready to leave (we always go early), Babis refused to let us go and "commanded" us to stay - quite severely !!. He simply could not cope with anyone else coming - which would have happened had we vacated our table. We meekly obeyed orders and indeed stayed all evening till rather late (understatement) and the subsequent raki, wine and entertainment from Babis, his family and regular diners who also stayed was just superb. Now that sort of situation is what I call atmosphere.

John R

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
The food was excellent and it was very full. However, I often have to eat on my own and found it very quiet - it didn't seem to have the atmosphere of places along the front, but for a couple who want a quiet evening together it may just the thing.

Greecemad

Well that's us exactly and perhaps explains our 99.999% devotion to Medousa over many years. Very rarely found it exactly quiet. As you say - busy and if you know what to look for (Babis frequently managing everything on his own) then there is rather a lot of entertainment to be found. Faulty towers occasionally comes to mind (in the nicest sense). Last year when we were ready to leave (we always go early), Babis refused to let us go and "commanded" us to stay - quite severely !!. He simply could not cope with anyone else coming - which would have happened had we vacated our table. We meekly obeyed orders and indeed stayed all evening till rather late (understatement) and the subsequent raki, wine and entertainment from Babis, his family and regular diners who also stayed was just superb. Now that sort of situation is what I call atmosphere.

John R
Hello Greecemad,

I think John R only visits Plakias in end Sept/early Oct and so far I have only been in May. I agree the food at Medousa is great but we were the only people sitting outside (which I always like to do) and this spoilt it somewhat. I think it is quite well documented on this forum that  the time John R visits Plakias is one of the busiest times of the season- May is certainly one of the quietist. My experience of Greek resorts generally is that end Sept/early Oct and May are similarly quiet but not so Plakias.

I don't believe there is any one taverna in Plakias that most would agree is of a higher standard that the others- most have their favourites and most have had mediocre experiences somewhere or other. However, the general standard is pretty high in my opinion. And as tavernas change hands or and/or chefs standards can alter markedly from year to year.

Personally I find the ambience of a seafront taverna can't be beaten, watching and hearing the sea lapping the shore. Just wish I was there (but not at 45°C!)

Mike

Offline formiman

• View Profile
    • http://www.punkt-a.de
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »
the spirit of this restaurant is like it looks ( here during may 2006), excellent

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »
Quote from: formiman
the spirit of this restaurant is like it looks ( here during may 2006), excellent
It looks like it did in August this year, the nights that I was there it was almost empty, Babbis said that he was waiting for the surge of English in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps we'll find out if that happened, on their return.

george g...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:50:57 PM by George »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
Quote from: George
It looks like it did in August this year, the nights that I was there it was almost empty, Babbis said that he was waiting for the surge of English in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps we'll find out if that happened, on their return.

george g...

Medousa Packed out every night so far. - weather wonderful, Babis much on form (can't get away) - reserved table even - seems as if we've made it after 10 years. George - Chris and I (separately) done that new Killikratis Pass. Chris's hands still maintain the shape of steering wheel and he's gone very quiet    and Mandy still shaking. We found it ok - great - Gillian drove (looked for other vehicles) while I steered and peddled. It really is the most incredible road ever. Lots of photos to show you on my return. This is fresh news - just got back from that journey 1 hour ago.

Love to everyone from Plakias

John R

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »

george g...

Medousa Packed out every night so far. - weather wonderful, Babis much on form (can't get away) - reserved table even - seems as if we've made it after 10 years. George - Chris and I (separately) done that new Killikratis Pass. Chris's hands still maintain the shape of steering wheel and he's gone very quiet    and Mandy still shaking. We found it ok - great - Gillian drove (looked for other vehicles) while I steered and peddled. It really is the most incredible road ever. Lots of photos to show you on my return. This is fresh news - just got back from that journey 1 hour ago.

Love to everyone from Plakias

John R
Thanks John

Look forward to seeing the pics. The 'road' is on my list for next year and I will find it this time.

Glad to hear that Medusa's picked up a bit, Babbis always seems happier when he's run off his feet. (If he's got any spare RAKI, bring me back a barrel)

Regards to all

george g...

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 07:01:54 PM »
Thanks John

Look forward to seeing the pics. The 'road' is on my list for next year and I will find it this time.

Glad to hear that Medusa's picked up a bit, Babbis always seems happier when he's run off his feet. (If he's got any spare RAKI, bring me back a barrel)

Regards to all

george g...

Yes on our list too - Karen spotted the road this year but it was late on our last day that we spotted it. It does look rather challenging though ...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Medousa
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 08:29:42 AM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Thanks John

Regards to all

george g...

Yes on our list too - Karen spotted the road this year but it was late on our last day that we spotted it. It does look rather challenging though ...
The road that I found this year wasn't exactly a doddle, perhaps this area needs a bit more exploration.

Perhaps we ought to rename the area 'Adrenalinos'  

george g...