login

Author Topic: Ligres Beach  (Read 17006 times)

Offline returner

• View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« on: January 26, 2006, 08:52:55 PM »
I have been visiting Plakias for 20 years. In the last few years Ive been combining staying there and touring different areas on motorbike. Concluded that it is the most beautiful and varied island.
Of course I get a bit twitchy if I stay away from Plakias after a day or so away...Theres no place like home!
For those of you who used to know the old Geronimos rooms in Souda 18 or so years ago I just wanted to share this discovery with you. Ligres Beach. At a village called Kambos after Spili you turn right to Kerames and then Aglianos and down to the beach. There is only one beautiful taverna with rooms and balcony, home cooked meals fresh fish and natural spring water. There is a long beach, deserted the last few times ive been there. You can walk along the beach to the Monastery Preveli and to the old Church of Agios Pavlos. Its run by Giorgos and Olga Zazopoulus and their funky sons and daughters.  It is really like being transported to a quiet island staying with a family and other visitors, watching the sun go down. Very natural. True old fashioned beachcombing. No Ostraco or Gialos though!
Website is www.ligres.gr Its open for visitors from May to October. Ive got the contact details if the website is not running. Apologies if this has appeared as a post before.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:56:44 AM »
. Ligres Beach. At a village called Kambos after Spili you turn right to Kerames and then Aglianos and down to the beach. There is only one beautiful taverna with rooms and balcony, home cooked meals fresh fish and natural spring water. T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sounds wonderful but the website isn't working

looking at the map, is the turning off the main road at kissou kambos? to kerames but then there seems to be a few roads to the coast?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 12:58:51 AM by harribobs »

Offline returner

• View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 09:25:03 AM »
. Ligres Beach. At a village called Kambos after Spili you turn right to Kerames and then Aglianos and down to the beach. There is only one beautiful taverna with rooms and balcony, home cooked meals fresh fish and natural spring water. T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

looking at the map, is the turning off the main road at kissou kambos? to kerames but then there seems to be a few roads to the coast?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I posted a Times online article in the Where to go forum. That works. It talks about the little hamlet built some way above the beach but I the directions are fine.
Shame the web site doesnt work. Ive got a leaflet which i could scan. I read somewhere that the sunsets on the beach are as spectacular or more than those at Goa. (Havent been so no real point of ref for me) Just to say that if you want something funky with a sort of 70s 80s Greek unspoilt feel go there.

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Ligres Beach
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:05:14 AM »
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I posted a Times online article in the Where to go forum. That works. It talks about the little hamlet built some way above the beach but I the directions are fine.
Shame the web site doesnt work. Ive got a leaflet which i could scan. I read somewhere that the sunsets on the beach are as spectacular or more than those at Goa. (Havent been so no real point of ref for me) Just to say that if you want something funky with a sort of 70s 80s Greek unspoilt feel go there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No problems with

[a href=\"http://www.ligres.gr/]http://www.ligres.gr/[/url]

However my Greek is still not sufficient.  

Leen

Offline BWI

• View Profile
    • http://
Ligres Beach
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 06:01:36 AM »
I am new to the forum and I must say its great !
The place at Ligres looks great.  I looked at their website and here is the translation (roughly) in case anyone is interested !

If you seek carefree and quiet interruptions, in part isolated from stress and the intensity of city. If you would want to live axe'hastes moments, by! in the sea, in perfect erimjko' landscape, to you we propose us visiting in the LJGKRES. In our familial enterprise you will find pleasant environment and spjtjko' traditional food! In each one of our new rooms exist bathroom and balcony with incredible view. The part is offered for families with small children, because does not exist circulation of cars or other danger. Also our spotless beach, as well as next men offer for perpa'tima and exploration. In our tavern mporej'taj geytej'te apart from spjtjke's spesjaljte' our cooker and fresh fishes touched from us as well as natural water of source.

Ok its not brill but you get the idea.  To translate text go to www.babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Thanks for all the info

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 02:17:26 PM »
I am new to the forum and I must say its great
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5461\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

welcome to the forum!!

and good thinking about Babelfish

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 10:04:38 AM »
i found this review on Captain Barefoots site  ( which has now moved---update your favourites Captain Barefoot guide to the greek islands  )

The Captain took this advice in September 1999. There had clearly been a major bush fire in this area and the road to Ligres passed through burned out woodland. There is a taverna at the end of the road and also what is described as a "mini-market" - although the Captain understands that this is in the bedroom of the taverna owner! The beach was wonderful, long, sand and small pebbles, and practically deserted. Wonderful swimming (partly rock shelf underfoot, similar to Kommos). We had something like half a mile of beach with one other (nude) couple on it. It is immensely reassuring that deserted yet beautiful places like this can still be found. The Captain returned in September 2003 and 2004 and can confirm that little has changed.

You could walk naked for miles along this beach.  The Captain set off exploring to the east as far as the eye could see.  The beach curves slightly to the left, and the Captain could see the enormous dune in the distance which appeared to be Ag Pavlos.  Blissful.

A report from June 1999 spoke of a taverna open with rooms to rent sign. There were about 6 textiles in front of the taverna, 3 people nude other end of beach. 2nd bay one other couple. Excellent, quiet all day. A later report from summer 1999 confirms plenty of scope for nude sunbathing but with a moderate sea running, swimming would have been ill advised due to the very strong undertow.

Another beach can be found by walking to the west of the taverna at Ligres.  There is a small path along the rocky shore. If, after walking about 50m, you see a small water fall, you are in the right direction. The path involves some "light" climbing, but my contributor thinks that anyone can follow it easily. After about 300m you reach a small bay -about 200m long- that is totally deserted.

The beach has small pebbles and coarse sand, while some large rocks provide shadow. The sea is fine and deepens slowly. The bottom of the sea has fine pebbles near the shore, then some smooth rocks and finally sand. My contributors visited on a weekday of August and the beach was occupied by only two more naked couples.

It is a very quiet place, though sometimes it might be occupied by some free campers (there are sings of free camping near the rocks, but no litter at all). Wearing sandals, my contributors were able to do a long nude walk over the headland to the west that divides this beach from the Kerame beach and wander in that beach too.

And still another beach, according to correspondents from the summer of 2003, by going 200-300m over the rocks to the east of the taverna, when they found about 500m of “empty sand beach, only for us”.  Sounds good!

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:22:32 PM »
we made the effort and visited ligres beach,  it's very easy to miss the turn off the main road ( sign posted Kamares), probably takes about 30 mins that way but on the way back we noticed a shorter route sign posted as 'Amoudi, Preveli'  it's a bulldozed stone road that will lead you to the bridge near the gefira tavarna near the old preveli monastery

ligres beach is JUST as described, went we arrived there were approx 10 people on it, six of which were one greek family, we had fish at the taverna that we saw being brought back in the family fishing boat

wonderful place....

« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 09:24:14 PM by harribobs »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 02:20:49 PM »

it's a wonderful place, we spent a LOT of time there last year. whether it would suit everyone is a different matter as it is so deserted

there is another taverna (with attached studios) there now, so you have got a choice for lunch or a beer. the new taverna, the Villa maria, was our choice for lunch last year. it's run by a really nice guy called Adonis. a limited menu but ask what he has on today.

if you do go mention chris and mandy to him  

the beach stretches as far up as Agios Pavlos going east and, if you go straight on at the sign (to turn left) to ligres, you can drive along a road right by the beach (any vehicle) going west follwing the signs to agia foteini (sp) you get to a nice little stoney beach and a very nice taverna there as well

villa maria

agia foteini

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »
i would be surprised if we don't spend at least a day there  

agia foteini is to the west btw and yes some really chilled tavernas at trio petra, the picture below is trio petra, looking east byond the 3 rocks

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:03:49 PM by harribobs »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 10:44:44 PM »

as you go down te road to ligres, you get to the edge of a small village called Drimiskos, you just skirt it, but that is where the road to preveli joins it. the road is very rough, imho jeep onlys. It is signposted in english.

to get to Ligres, you follow the main road to (and through) kerames and a mile or so after that, you turn right to go down to ligres ( or ligoures ), all the signs are in greek script now  

straight on at that junction will lead you to the coast road to trio petra and on to agia pavlos.

after going right to ligres, there's another road to the right ( again in greek, after the church) and a new road will lead you to agia foteini!

chris  

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
as you go down te road to ligres, you get to the edge of a small village called Drimiskos, you just skirt it, but that is where the road to preveli joins it. the road is very rough, imho jeep onlys. It is signposted in english.

to get to Ligres, you follow the main road to (and through) kerames and a mile or so after that, you turn right to go down to ligres ( or ligoures ), all the signs are in greek script now  

straight on at that junction will lead you to the coast road to trio petra and on to agia pavlos.

after going right to ligres, there's another road to the right ( again in greek, after the church) and a new road will lead you to agia foteini!

chris  

Chris / Others,
I've followed the thread with interest as we found Triopetra and Agios Pavlos last year and would like to go back there. I know we can get to both from the main road past Spilli but would like to get to Triopetra via Agia Foteini. Last year we took a dirt road from the Venetian bridge. I think it went to Kerames but it was really too bad for , our little Toyota Aygo so as soon as we reached tarmac we made our way back to the main road via Drimiskos. We saw the road down to Agia Foteini but it looked steep and we didn't want to get half way, then have to turn round. What I want to know is whether the road from Kerames down to Agia Foteini is ok for a Toyota Yaris and whether there is a reasonable coast road from there to Triopetra. This map is similar to the one we used last year[attachment=628:triopetra.jpg]. P.S. - I see that Google Earth shows the area in great detail but maybe makes the roads look better than they are in reality.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »
Thanks Graeme, That's much better - and shows the road I was hoping would be there. Have a great time next week. Last year we thought Triopetra or Agios Pavlos might be an alternative to Plakias if it got too crowded. If the roads are being improved then there's extensive accessible coastline to explore.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »
just to be a little more exact with the road from the bridge at preveli, drive over the ford and turn right in front of the taverna and carry on, after about a mile or so ( after another venetian bridge) turn left ignoring palm beach signs. the road is a bulldozed broken stone road, i honestly would not recommend doing it in less than a 4x4

no problem at all with the roads to agia foteini, they are all black top and easy to negotiate

yes you can get to trio petra and then inland to agia pavlos by the coast! instead of turning left to ligres, go straight on, they road drops down to the east end of ligres beach and gets you to trio petra

view of trio petra and agia pavlos behind it, from the road, Graeme, i think you'll be staying in a little newly built village on the left of this road, it looks really good and you're in a great spot

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ligres Beach
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »
Al useful info - we look forward to exploring the area including Agia Paraskevi.