login

Author Topic: Reporting In  (Read 8726 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« on: September 26, 2005, 03:16:50 PM »
Hi all
Report, very short so as not to bore everyone.
Plakias 30.08.05-13.09.05
Olympic Holidays
1. Great check in at Gatwick very quick
2. Good Flight to Heraklion
3. Transfer was dreadful as expected, just over three and a half hours. I will complain and claim compensation, even if it is only Morven’s personal telephone number, she was an absolute gem, cute what, I''ll say, and she got upset when I told her I was going to complain. Sorry Morven!
4. Dora was, as expected, clean standard S/C room with all the equipment you could ask for, but NO electric kettle. Good position with a Coop nearby. Dora is a lovely lady, if a bit shy and her Raki is excellant.
5. Best bar: Levicon, great music and excellent Gin and Tonics although as has been said on the site, it does get Saga louted most evenings. Dionysis is a great guy.
Used to be the Kyma but the TV’s are too prominent.
6. Best restaurant: Difficult and not prepared to single one out, Tried Lysseous, Harakas, Kri Kri, Gio Ma, Medousa, Oasis for lunch and the Levicon for breakfast.
Manousses, sorry guys you have a staff problem and I think the owners knew it, I almost walked out, I had to wait ages for everything. I won’t go back there unless I know their back on track.
7. Far end, now extended and the 'beach bar' got demolished by the council. Freddy filled me in with all the details
8. Weather was good if a bit more windy than usual, but the second half started getting better and warmer.
9. Overall holiday, there is no adjective to describe it, which ever one you choose it’s not adequate.
I’m up the agent, tonight to try and book Dora again for next year.

I'll top up the FAQ files later.
Over and out for now,
george g...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 04:13:40 PM by George »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 05:32:20 PM »
5. Best bar: Levicon, great music and excellent Gin and Tonics although as has been said on the site, it does get Saga louted most evenings. Dionysis is a great guy.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You bet. Over the next 2 weeks we claim exclusive rights. I'll bet Dionysis is setting his furniture up in long rows at the back for us right this minute  

Nice report George. Makes me glad I'm setting off in about 24 hours time  

Offline Denis and Chris

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 06:55:41 PM »

You bet. Over the next 2 weeks we claim exclusive rights. I'll bet Dionysis is setting his furniture up in long rows at the back for us right this minute  

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You are absolutely right John we are ready to go, and so are the rest of the troops!!!!!!!

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sherylhume1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 09:37:48 PM »
george, whats that about the beach bar - have they really knocked it down  .  what was the problem?????
sheryl

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Reporting In
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 09:49:52 PM »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You are absolutely right John we are ready to go, and so are the rest of the troops!!!!!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4553\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh yes packed and ready can hardly wait
Dotty

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Reporting In
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 09:56:38 PM »
Hi all
Report, very short so as not to bore everyone.
Plakias 30.08.05-13.09.05
Olympic Holidays
1. Great check in at Gatwick very quick
2. Good Flight to Heraklion
3. Transfer was dreadful as expected, just over three and a half hours. I will complain and claim compensation, even if it is only Morven’s personal telephone number, she was an absolute gem, cute what, I''ll say, and she got upset when I told her I was going to complain. Sorry Morven!
4. Dora was, as expected, clean standard S/C room with all the equipment you could ask for, but NO electric kettle. Good position with a Coop nearby. Dora is a lovely lady, if a bit shy and her Raki is excellant.
Used to be the Kyma but the TV’s are too prominent.
6. Best restaurant: Difficult and not prepared to single one out, Tried Lysseous, Harakas, Kri Kri, Gio Ma, Medousa, Oasis for lunch and the Levicon for breakfast.
Manousses, sorry guys you have a staff problem and I think the owners knew it, I almost walked out, I had to wait ages for everything. I won’t go back there unless I know their back on track.
7. Far end, now extended and the 'beach bar' got demolished by the council. Freddy filled me in with all the details
8. Weather was good if a bit more windy than usual, but the second half started getting better and warmer.
9. Overall holiday, there is no adjective to describe it, which ever one you choose it’s not adequate.
I’m up the agent, tonight to try and book Dora again for next year.

I'll top up the FAQ files later.
Over and out for now,
george g...

Do you mean Mousses run by Adonis your favourite of last year.I hope not or we will have to find another.
Dotty

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 08:38:14 AM »
george, whats that about the beach bar - have they really knocked it down  .  what was the problem?????
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4554\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Sherylhume1
This is the beach bar in the sand dunes, at the far end, evidently the guy who built it didn't have planning permission, so the local council came along and knocked it all down. I heard it cost him 5000 euros to build it, and probably a few more in fines.
All, or most of the timber is scattered over the back of the beach, and a lot of people found it handy to build wind breaks.
I don't think it would have looked right there anyway, the sand dunes are the sand dunes and they should stay that way.
george g...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 08:49:58 AM »
Do you mean Mousses run by Adonis your favourite of last year.I hope not or we will have to find another.

Hi Dotty
This is quite possible, I've tried to erase the memory.
It's the restaurant just up the road from Medousa almost directly behind the Alianthos. There's a large barbeque grill on the left as you walk in and a big mural on the wall at the back.
The guy cooking had dark curly hair and what looked like his concerned partner was a big man who was folically challenged. (bald)
george g...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 08:58:24 AM »

Thanks John R
It makes me glad too, I rebooked the Dora last night and I'm setting off in about 48 Weeks time, and counting.
Have a good one John, oh and sorry I've drunk all of Dionysis's Gin. He did do a mean G & T.
Oh yes, I forgot, I've also glued all the chairs down so you lot can't move them.
george g...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 09:08:43 AM by George »

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 09:41:46 AM »
Great update George.

Most get around to posting mine now that I have been back over a week  

I too heard not so good things about Manousses (Having said that Adonis at Mouses did forget our order in his back pocket... 1 hour later ... had a few rakis from the waiters who felt sorry for us though!)

Cheers,

Paul

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 12:04:19 PM »
Oh yes, I forgot, I've also glued all the chairs down so you lot can't move them.
george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Leaving home right now - just packed a little saw. Next year you will find Livicon chairs 1 inch shorter and strange little stumps on the floor. Louts we can be.  

Really looking forward to that checkin wait at Newcastle.  

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 12:26:23 PM »
A few more thoughts from our holiday:
Best meal (but not cheap) - the Kleftico at Kastros
Best Set Menu- Sofia in harbour area (cheap, good choice)
Favourite overall - Medusa (not too busy, superb pizzas and spicy pork)

We were quite disappointed this year with the quality of the fruit at the greengrocers. The fruit was definately better in the supermarkets (less choice of course)

Cheapest way to phone home - buy a 3Euro Smile card at Ali and Dave's

Most enjoyable beers - Sitting outside the Paligremnos after a tiring day on the beach

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 01:56:36 PM »

Hi Dotty
I just remembered, isn't Mousses on the front, under the canopies, near the Ostraco? If that is the one, your safe and you don't have to find another!
george g...

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sherylhume1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 10:48:52 PM »
george, whats that about the beach bar - have they really knocked it down  .  what was the problem?????
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4554\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Sherylhume1
This is the beach bar in the sand dunes, at the far end, evidently the guy who built it didn't have planning permission, so the local council came along and knocked it all down. I heard it cost him 5000 euros to build it, and probably a few more in fines.
All, or most of the timber is scattered over the back of the beach, and a lot of people found it handy to build wind breaks.
I don't think it would have looked right there anyway, the sand dunes are the sand dunes and they should stay that way.
george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4557\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i think i've got the wrong beach bar.  i thought you meant manolis's beach bar past the meltemi - never realised there were two
sheryl

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 08:22:49 AM »
You mean taverna Manousos, just behind the Alianthos? Run by the bloke who looks like and acts like Manuel from fawlty towers!
I used to go there a lot in the past years but it does not seem as good as it was this year.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?