Author Topic: Maybe the last time?  (Read 5332 times)

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe the last time?
« on: October 14, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »
Me and travelling companion have been back about a week after a fortnight in Plakias. It was a bit of a mixed experience really. We had some good meals out, lunch at Antoni's was good, as was our evening meal at (I think) Manouses (the taverna nearest the junction of the post office road and the back road). Since we last ate there a few years ago it's gone upmarket with posh crockery, linen tablecloths etc. But the menu was interesting and the place was very busy with the serving staff rushed off their feet. We had more simple food up at Panorama up in Mirtios -that's always good, as well as at Sifis, Sirocco and at Muses (although the service there was weirdly slow) and a very nice Pastistio at O Zezonis, with very nice service too. The only thing about there though is that it is quite a small place with tables close together, so you have to be prepared to breathe second hand smoke. We were also lucky (!) to find a free table at Harakas once and also had something really nice and authentic at Lysseos. In fact the only poor eating experience was at that Gyro/grill place near to Candia. To say the Calamari was tough would be an understatement.
On the less positive side, we were disappointed with Hotel Sofia - having booked a twin room through Olympic 9 months in advance (and that clearly stated on all of Olympic 's paperwork,we were fobbed off on our arrival with a small double, just for one night they said, then we could move to a bigger room. But in fact that was also a double! We got the room we had booked on the third night. Not impressed.
Also rather disappointing, although nobody's fault, is that it's no longer possible to follow Lance Chiltons walk description up to Mirthios via the old mill. You can still get up there off road until you join the little road that goes past the wash house but you have to be pretty nimble and have the confidence to walk on eroded tracks.
Our main disappointment, which we began feeling 4 years ago, is that Plakias for us is loosing its special feeling. As one of our fellow guests said, 'Plakias is no longer a village.' It's no longer a comfortable walk to Souda and back. Road traffic increases all the time, there are cars everywhere when you get there, what used to be the cliff top track between Damnoni and Amoudi is now a dirt road wide enough for cars to pass each other so that Amoudi is no longer a special place, just another beach with visitors whose only effort to get there has involved climbing into a car. More  sun beds, a far less diverse lot of visitors  and a notice saying 'nudity is forbidden.'
If you've had the patience to read this far, thanks. We've been to Greece about 40 times in the past 35 years and Plakias is the place we've returned to the most, but this time is probably the last time. I recall reading on here a couple of years ago someone saying they were giving up on Plakias and going to start going to Paleachora. Anyone know what that's like?

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Maybe the last time?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
Plakias hasn't lost it's magic for me but I understand where you are coming from.  When we first visited it was a dirt track to Souda (or boat trip) and a scramble over up and over the rocks from Damnoni to Amoudi.  The waterside tavernas were a bit basic and no brollies on any of the beaches.

People walked just about everywhere but I too noticed a large increase in the number of cars everywhere we went this year.  Having said that we too do now rent so can't really criticise!

Also remember the days of cold showers and communal fridges in the accommodation - wouldn't want to go back to that though!

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 04:16:08 PM »
When I say my final goodbye to Plakias it will be due to ill health,absolutely love the place, roll on July 2017!!

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »
I've been coming to Plakias, twice a year approx. since 1985. I started in Ay. Galini and frequently stay in Paleochora. All three have lost some of their charm, more building, more roads, more people, more traffic....but so has the UK. One of the sadder facets of recent visits is the gradual disappearance of Greek waiters, not many of us realize you are being served with politeness and charm in the best greek style by an Albanian or Bulgarian. This is in a country with 50% youth unemployment?

Plakias lost some of its charm when the harbour moved out of town and the modern property developments further damaged the small town atmosphere.

One of my solutions is to visit very early or very late in the season and travel independant.... not Olympic Holidays. I,m arriving 25th sept staying until 5th Nov.  Lots of rooms and eating have closed , but no queuing! and the locals have time to talk. Give it a try.

How many more times will I come...I don't know, but there is an old folks home at Yerakari for northern Europeans.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:38:28 PM »
This post and its sentiments resonate with Ruth and myself.
Each year we ask the same question:
Will this be our last visit to the old place?
It is and has been our favourite holiday destination since our children left home but:
We travel independently and with old Father Time starting to catch up with us, then the car journey brown to Plakias is becoming a major issue.
I now that we could use a taxi service but the convenience of having a car on call whist on holiday is a must for us.
And taxi transfers are not cheap.
One of our morning walks are now off limits
The walk to the Old Mill is no longer safe for those no longer sure of foot
The same goes for the path along the foot of the cliff,above the far end, and onto the tunnel thru the rock.Now not safe for us to use.
All resorts will change over the years and we feel that as long as they are not major changes, then so be it.
It is the Plakias people's village and it is up to them to change it as they think fit.
If we do not like/agree with those changes then we vote with our feet (and euros)
We are very,very undecided what to do next year.
BUT:
Where do you find another beach and swimming as good as Plakias?
Where do you find another resort as friendly as Plakias ?
Where do you find another resort with the choice and quality of tavernas as Plakia ?
And and and and................

Maybe one more time?

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 11:24:13 PM »
Appreciate the sentiment of the initial post, very much, but also agree with the 'BUT' comments in the post above.

For example, my wife and I did make the walk to Myrthios via the mill this year (we are still just about OK physically unless my gout flares up), but at times it felt like we were trespassers. I don't really like the new tavernas in Sellia and Myrthios, either. I preferred the dirt-track walk to Souda and remember the track beyond being created with some sadness.

Despite the changes, I presented at a conference in Athens earlier this year, and without wanting to criticise anyone Athenian, or working in Athens, I'd forgotten just how friendly and welcoming Plakias is.

The harbour is almost needless. Wasted money. I used to look at the house just above it, and think what a perfect place to live as nobody could spoil the view, no room for a road in front of it on an escarpment. Imagined that it could be the sort of place that I'd retire to. Silly me!

I have visited Plakias for the last 21 years and hope to return next year. Hope I am not disappointed.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:18:02 AM by Richard »

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
When we visited Plakias 5 years ago, we felt the 'magic' had gone, this was after visiting yearly , sometimes twice yearly, since 1992. For various reasons, we didn't visit Crete again until last year when we stayed in Sissi on the north coast. Somehow I felt a pulling, so we decided to vist Plakias one more time. We had 2 wonderful weeks there last month! Yes, there are changes, some of which we are not too keen on, but we felt that the 'essence' that is Plakias is still there after all! We have already booked our flight to return next September! Maybe for the......!

Offline ian s

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
This post and its sentiments resonate with Ruth and myself.
Each year we ask the same question:
Will this be our last visit to the old place?
It is and has been our favourite holiday destination since our children left home but:
We travel independently and with old Father Time starting to catch up with us, then the car journey brown to Plakias is becoming a major issue.
I now that we could use a taxi service but the convenience of having a car on call whist on holiday is a must for us.
And taxi transfers are not cheap.
One of our morning walks are now off limits
The walk to the Old Mill is no longer safe for those no longer sure of foot
The same goes for the path along the foot of the cliff,above the far end, and onto the tunnel thru the rock.Now not safe for us to use.
All resorts will change over the years and we feel that as long as they are not major changes, then so be it.
It is the Plakias people's village and it is up to them to change it as they think fit.
If we do not like/agree with those changes then we vote with our feet (and euros)
We are very,very undecided what to do next year.
BUT:
Where do you find another beach and swimming as good as Plakias?
Where do you find another resort as friendly as Plakias ?
Where do you find another resort with the choice and quality of tavernas as Plakia ?
And and and and................

Maybe one more time?
[just to let you know that the local Plakias car hire companies can arrange transfer from and to the airport as part of the deal.  That's what we do as it takes away the stress.]

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 06:17:15 PM »
I will have visited Plakias for 30 years next year and...yes....it has changed but nowhere near as much as many of the other places I love. There is still something there. I thought the first week this year was very vibrant and hectic but, by the end of the holiday, things had quietened down. We've tried other places (dont get e started on Tenerife !!!) but I think there is a pulley somewhere with Plakias's name on it. I never thought I'd grow tired of Plymouth but I am now having second thoughts and guess where I'd choose. Horse for courses as they say !

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:28 PM »
I recall reading on here a couple of years ago someone saying they were giving up on Plakias and going to start going to Paleachora. Anyone know what that's like?
I went to Paleochora 8 years ago so maybe my comments aren't so valid any more.  Anyway, my impression of Paleochora then was that it had a nicer beach and the people were friendlier than in Plakias.  It has a good range of restaurants, though I would avoid the 'Dionisos':  the service is terrible, the food mediocre, and I suffered from food poisoning afterwards.  However, I still prefer Plakias: it has a certain je ne sais quoi which keeps me going back.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
We have just returned from Plakias (11-25 Oct). It was the latest we have ever been but we were really lucky with the weather, 20 - 29 degrees and sunny with only one cool evening. Resort was quite busy. We enjoyed meals in Lysieos, Minoiko, kri Kri and Sifi's all have which have changed very little.  Most evenings were spent in the Livikon with top man Dionysis though we did enjoy drinks at the Nufaro.
We enjoyed our "normal"walks in the olive groves, water channels and hills but found it was getting tougher as the years have gone by.
What we found had changed was the total rejection of the anti-smoking laws in all the Tavernas and bars. As a non-smoker this ruined many meals and after dinner drinks. Greece has the most stringent anti-smoking legislation in the EU. They simply do not enforce it or make any attempt to comply with it. Ashtrays were placed on every table contrary to the law and no attempt was made by staff to stop people smoking even though it was obvious that it was offending the majority of diners.
Prices have gone up quite a bit. Beer was 2.80 to 3.80 euro for a large one one which is dearer than my home City of York (significantly if you take Sam Smith's bitter which is only £1.90 a pint!) I was also upset to see the demise of Muses Taverna. Speaking to Adonis he said that he can't get any staff so he was doing all the cooking with one person running front of house. Consequently people were getting annoyed at the long wait for food and bills. The food quality was suffering too as he was rushed off his feet.
We have been to Plakias 8 times in 14 years. We love the village, the countryside and the people but we think that this will be the last time.
But......................

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »
Mousses was thriving in May and hopefully will be again next May.

I totally agree about the smoking. I guess with all the competition amongst the tavernas no one wants to stand out by enforcing the law. It is sad to see so many Brits behaving in an anti-social way that they would not get away with at home.

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
Re:Easter in Plakias
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »
Hi all fellow Plakias lovers. Just got back from 2 brilliant weeks there, miss the place already, The wife and I have been going for some 26 years or so both in May and September/ October. On arriving back home she couldn't resist going in to the travel agents to ask about going out at Easter.
Many of the locals and friends out there say it is a good time to go can anyone comment on this? The weather are the tavernas open do they have a festival etc. My wife wants to see the Easter festival and I don't want to have to drive to Spilli though that is my second favourite village in the area.
Sue and Paul from Carmarthen if you are looking on this site don't worry we will be back again in October it will be nice to see you again.
Any info about a Easter holiday in Plakias will be appreciated.