Author Topic: Chania Airport  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
Chania Airport
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:33:27 PM »
This year (for the first time), we are flying into Chania, instead of Heraklion, just wondering if many people have experienced many problems at Chania ? Some friends are saying it seems totally unorganised etc, and very hectic !

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chania Airport
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:07:42 PM »
Travelled through Chania many times I found it much quicker than Heralion. If you are in a hire car I found the journey a lot quicker also. Enjoy your stay we will be back in October ,cannot wait. 

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »
We have been flying Ryanair to Chania for the last couple of years and we find it much better than Heraklion.  Quicker and less hectic.  Be a little careful when you fly back because they change gates once and a while, but always announce it over the speakers in Greek and English.  Enjoy.

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 08:04:13 AM »
Never had any problems at Chania airport (Ryanair from Leeds/Bradford). 7am flight out and 13.30 return----Perfect !!
Good idea to stop in Souda at the INKA supermarket for provisions. On the return journey the war cemetry in Souda is worth a visit.
Car collection and drop off is easy with Autoway.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »
If you are travelling exclusively by public transport, I think Chania is a better choice: unlike in Heraklion, the airport bus takes you directly to Chania town station from where you can catch the bus to Rethymnon.  Chania is also a quieter airport than Heraklion IMHO.  However, I, personally, will continue to use Heraklion simply because I am very familiar with the set-up there, and find there is more variety in using that route.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:04:50 PM »
thanks for the replies guys. Our main reason for Chania this year is simply the better flight times, so fingers crossed at all goes to plan !

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »
Noticed the new check in desks in Chania are open now..... to the left when you enter the airport.

Offline sylvia & steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »
We flew with Ryan Air into Chania this year - much, much better than Heraklion. We were off the plane, had our cases and into hire car in less than 40 mins! Coming back was even better - new check in desks take your luggage straight from you, not like Heraklion having to check in, then lug up cases back to xray. Flights arrived and left bang on time.

Only problem when driving is that direction signs are practically non existent, especially on return journey, but journey to and from Plakias is much more scenic and enjoyable.

Chania every time for us from now!