login

Author Topic: Eco Plakias  (Read 6173 times)

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Eco Plakias
« on: October 12, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »
Every year I find something new to research in Plakias and this year it was the rather large moth that decided to join us one evening in the Pool Bar at Costas Chrysoulas...It was HUGE - approx. 10cm across ! ( scared the life out of the house ghecko ). Anyway, I think it was an Oleander Hawk Moth (Daphnis nerii ) which is one of Europe's largest moths. Although not confined to Greece and the islands, it is obviously at home here given the number of Oleander bushes. It varies in colour but usually includes some pink or red and is very beautiful. Sadly my rather poor photo of it is too large to post but, like the rest of us, it stayed for a while and then went home !

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Eco Plakias
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »
Checked it out on google. Really pretty.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:26:54 PM »
I love interesting wildlife (so long as it is not in my bed or my food).  I've only seen hummingbird hawkmoths in the past.  I'll have to look out for the oleander version.

I had a close encounter with a very mean looking spider on our balcony in Costa Chryssoula - I haven't found a picture of it when I've searched the internet to try to identify it, but I am sure I have not found a completely new species, so it must be there somewhere.

Arnaki

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »
A few years ago there was one in Ostraco (they obviously enjoy a night out).  At first we thought it was a toy it was so big and when it started to fly we looked at Yianni to see if he had a remote control.  Really beautfiul and thankfully no one freaked out and tried to kill it.

Offline Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »
Probably all too drunk :)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »
Don't want to freak anyone out but when we stayed in Nicos Apartments, just behind Apollo Camping near the chapel, we wondered what was causing the shadows when we walked home at night (it was a little like something out of Babylon 5 which was popular at the time). Sorry to anyone who doesn't like bats, but I am pleased to say Plakias seems to have a thriving population of rather large ones....not sure what type as couldn't get close enough).
It all adds to the turtles, snakes, birdlife, butterflies, preying mantis, eagles, white hedgehogs (found in Costa Chrysoulas gardens) and the frogs and the crickets. I am please to say we have never (in nearly 30 years) seen a rat (only in Rethymnon) or a mouse and only one cockroach - quite unusual for somewhere so rural so hats off to the teams who keep things clean and tidy !
Even came across a (sadly dead) Cretan Marten when I was there in 1987. An amazing island....and I haven't even started on the flowers yet !

Offline stavros

• Also Pedro_on_Tour on Tripadvisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:26:01 PM »
We have seen live martens three times: once crossing the National Highway (between Ag Nik and Sitia) and twice in villages: in Aghia Pelaghia and most clearly up in Anogia, where it was hunting in woodpiles and scrub while we had our lunch. Beautiful animals, apparently take place of fox in food chain.
Visiting Greece and Crete since 1984

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
They are apparently quite rare but beautiful animals...not surprising in some of the ancient oak woodlands.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »
Just like to say Happy Easter and Happy May Day to all our friends in Plakias...have a lovely day, a great season and see you in September ! (all paid for as of yesterday...here I come !)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
Hope this works as the topic is the same.......OK, just back from this year's visit and the wildlife was still as lovely although only one kingfisher this year. Eagles as usual and a few turtles in the river mouth but the changes to the little weir seems to have put them off slightly. It obviously hasn't put off the water snake we saw several times which we think was a Dice Snake or Tesselated Snake - apparently another rarity. Fewer butterflies this year too but never mind....perhaps next year !

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »
Wow, eagles! No sign of those last week, but saw a couple of Griffon vultures, one above Amorgas, one near the head of the gorge. And the cormorants seem to have grown their family. Three standing in a line on one of the big rocks out from Gio Mare.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 01:20:57 PM »
Yup...one single 'glaros' or seagull and if you're really lucky a pair of kingfishers on the rocks off Gio Ma.....great to sit with a beer and watch...wish I was back there now !