login

Author Topic: Repair work?  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Repair work?
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »
Just wondering how the re-building of the burnt-down tavernas is going, if at all?

Richard

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Repair work?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »
Just returned on Tuesday, No rebuilding whatsoever, the tables, chairs, and in some cases large parasols are just stood on the new concrete bases. We had quite a few days of high winds and some evenings not all the restaurants were open, only the ones with room inside the main buildings and Muses, which had some tables on the old Council Office steps

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »
Update on repairs to burnt down tavernas:-
Muses have had a wooden structure ready for the roof & taverna to be rebuilt.
The roof & sides still have to be finished but the framework is in place.
When we last dined in Musses about 10 days ago we asked Adonis how the plans were going & he said that they were all waiting for word from Athens before they could go ahead.
There doesn't seem to be any movement on any of the other tavernas.
Luckily the weather has been good with little wind so most places are full every night.
The resort is very busy at the moment & this weekend of course is Greek holiday celebrations
Will keep you all updated on the rebuilds.

Life here is just the same with supermarkets etc stocked as always & ATM's working (when they have been filled up) tavernas & bars seem to be business as usual.

The boats to Preveli are going out about three times a day & always a lot of people aboard.

If anyone has doubts about coming there is nothing to fear & it's good to see the local business's thriving.
They need our support so come to Plakias & enjoy a lovely holiday.

Offline angela.1954

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
Thank you for this update.  We will be back in Plakias on 16th September and are counting the days! So glad that taverna owners are still making  a living.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »
Many thanks (but grudgingly so as you have been there for soooo long) to Dave & Les for the update, we will be there on 6th. October. If you can report back here about the ongoing changes it will be much appreciated, I could even think of buying you both a drink if you are in Plakias when we are there (but you better had not - I can get ugly when jealous).
Prices with the tax changes? Mythos 500ml ???? most important!
Enjoy yourselves, good luck & thank you.

Offline Dave&Les

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:19:57 PM »
U r welcome for the update & prices of food & drink are about the same but of course there is the 23% vat to be added on top.
As for buying us a drink in October unfortunately we will be back in the UK by the 1st, but it was a nice gesture.
Enjoy your holiday !!
Yamas

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
Today work start at the Ostraco, Mouses stil hasn't finished it's work.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline Dave&Les

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »
Work started yesterday on the Gorgona taverna, steel structure in place & working on it early this morning. It will be interesting to see how the work progresses during the next few days.
There are no sides in place yet except Muuses has green netting all around it, presumably to give a little protection from wind & dust.

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:57:29 AM »
Dave and Les, it actually Sofia with the new structure, Gorgona is looking very small between Mousses and Sofia, but you know what they say about size!

Offline Dave&Les

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
Oops, our mistake!! That damned Raki.
Anyway it's nice to see the work starting.
Yamas :-[

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 04:50:04 PM »
Muses has a structure with glass going in on the next few days
Ostraco has a steel frame and Sofia's has a steel frame being welded on site today so things are moving on I guess in a few weeks they will all have sheltered tables !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stavros

• Also Pedro_on_Tour on Tripadvisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »
work ongoing and looking good. Looks like outcome will be much better than old ad hoc shelters.
Visiting Greece and Crete since 1984

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »
From this post, and the other by Stavros, it sounds like all the tavernas are having identical structures built - is this so? Just curious (nosey) as I will be there in 4 weeks time and find out for myself!!!

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
No that would be far to organised !

When we left on Sat ....

Ostrico has a steel frame which has been painted an off greyish colour, and is waiting to have glass bi-folding doors installed similar to the ice cream place over the road.

Muses is a glue-lam frame (timber) structure with wooden slats to the roof and a glass atrium which would have been installed by now but was made 200mm the wrong size so has gone back to manufacture for alteration, glass panel sides with wood panel at the bottom.

Sofia, galvanised metal frame covered with  a white washed wood effect plastic trim.

We are back end Oct so will take a few pics of complete structures and post up here unless someone else beats me to it.

I have to say I still think it looked better when there was nothing.... still once they are all finished it will be better that what was there before, makes me wonder if the fire was an "accident" !

Hoping our house sells in UK soon then we will be permanent residents of Plakias ( or just outside, half way on the road to Selia )

Frank.